U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 PM

26,676 posts, read 27,670,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I was reared the same way but in a baptist church. In church everyone loves all folks, but rest of the time it's all hate, you only have to looks at the post here on CD to see what I am talking about.
I don't think most religious people are hateful, but I certainly am glad that I'm a nonbeliever.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 PM

29,816 posts, read 13,051,849 times
Quote:
I was reared the same way but in a baptist church. In church everyone loves all folks, but rest of the time it's all hate, you only have to looks at the post here on CD to see what I am talking about.
It's mind boggling to me how some preach hate in the name of god. It's hypocrisy to me

Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,054,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think most religious people are hateful, but I certainly am glad that I'm a nonbeliever.
And I agree with you, most are not hateful, it's just a small very vocal group who give the rest a bad name. I wish I had made that more clear in my post.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,391,975 times
"I wasn't talking about the laws of the United States. They will always change, and must change as things happen such as technological advances, changes in other countries, etc. I was talking about the foundation of a society. There is a difference between the abstract concept that is a society, and the geographical construct that is a country."

Nice deflection, well almost. Just how do you suppose the "abstract concept" that is a society moves from the abstract to the real? I would think you will concede the point that the people trying to lay the foundation for their society do so by codifying their principles in foundational documents such as our constitution. They further try to reinforce those principles through the passage of laws. We in the U.S. as in most other countries and societies are fortunate in that our founders provided a means to redress the problems arising when the laws passed stray from the founding principles, ie. a court system and a means to change the foundational document. These systems are in place largely to make sure that the will of the majority does not trample the rights of a particular minority. In this specific case the rights of the otherwise law abiding minority of homosexuals living in this country. Which brings me back to the basic point that the foundation of our society is based in secular not religious law. I don't know why this concept seems so difficult for you to understand. Its basic civics and ethics.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
There is no proof that people are born gay. Until you have factual 100% proofs than your claim is dismissed and your argument is ignored.
There is no proof any god exists. Until you have 100% proof your claim is dismissed and your argument is invalid.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 AM

14,061 posts, read 21,272,894 times
Consenting HUMAN adults....Yes :-!
Why are you even bringing up animals??

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
You are asking the wrong question OP.

The question is not whether people should be able to marry whomever or whatever they wish.

They question is why is government, state or federal, involved in licensing something which is basically just a contract between private parties?

Who gave them that power and why do you and most others accept that?
It has to do with inheritance, in cases where different and opposing parties claim any or all of an estate. Also who has the right to make decisions for someone when a power of attorney is not present as in end of life care. You can also include custody of minor children. These are just a few of the reasons the government has its nose in marriage.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,620,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
There is no proof any god exists. Until you have 100% proof your claim is dismissed and your argument is invalid.
What the hell does that post have to do with this discussion? This is not about religion,. I guess you have no argument so you try to switch it to something else that's unrelated, just like people that pull the race card BS when it comes to illegal immigration or even this issue. Those things have nothing to do with it.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 AM

357 posts, read 687,261 times
Quote:
And I agree with you, most are not hateful, it's just a small very vocal group who give the rest a bad name. I wish I had made that more clear in my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's mind boggling to me how some preach hate in the name of god. It's hypocrisy to me
I don't think i read anything coming from the OP that was hateful. I believe he's just stating his opinion based on his beliefs.
Just because someone doesn't approve of gay marriage doesn't doesn't make them hateful.

I believe that this thread would have been closed a long time ago if the OP's purpose was to "make hateful" comments towards gay. He is simply stating his position.

Now, If it is you guys' view, that anyone who doesn't approve of gay Marriage is a bigot or is hateful then, you guys are also entitled to your own opinions.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,054,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I don't think i read anything coming from the OP that was hateful. I believe he's just stating his opinion based on his beliefs.
Just because someone doesn't approve of gay marriage doesn't doesn't make them hateful.

I believe that this thread would have been closed a long time ago if the OP's purpose was to "make hateful" comments towards gay. He is simply stating his position.

Now, If it is you guys' view, that anyone who doesn't approve of gay Marriage is a bigot or is hateful then, you guys are also entitled to your own opinions.
Neither me or Natalie469 said anything about the OP being hateful, maybe you think he was being hateful and just assumed we were talking of him/her...

Originally Posted by okie1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.