U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 5,039,151 times
Reputation: 3860

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, human beings ARE primates.
Yes. People often forget, or are not aware, that humans ARE apes.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
3,401 posts, read 2,184,228 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There is not a shred of evidence that life exists on other planets. Does that mean life on other planets does not exist?
Your analogy is not appropriate. Life exists. Other planets exist, we began to find them as soon as we could detect them. It's not unreasonable to suspect that out there is another planet with life on it. There's no reason to even suspect your god exists. It's not as if we know there are a bunch of gods and are just discussing whether one of them is yours or not. If we had ironclad proof of serious whacked out miracles then we might have something to discuss. But we don't. We have stories and patterns in toast. It will take more than stories (and patterns in toast) to convince me of the existence of any sort of supernatural being that leaves no traces and exists in defiance of everything we understand about the world. That goes for the lot, not just the Judeo-Christian variety.

So you'll understand when I say that I don't find your religious argument a very convincing one on which to base laws regarding who can marry whom. Or anything else, for that matter. Believe whatever you like, but religious objections to gay marriage are completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Much like how the Mormon objection to drinking coffee is completely irrelevant. Mormons seem to understand that; you don't hear a lot about them picketing coffee houses, do you?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
 
14,917 posts, read 12,562,618 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
So you personally observed these changes right? Hmmm
What changes? My post didn't refer to any changes.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM
 
624 posts, read 892,994 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Small mutations and changes within the same species is a fact. When I started playing guitar, it hurt like hell on my fingers. Then my body adapted and created thick calluses so I could play pain free. That's evolution.

One species changing into a completely different species over billions of years? Not so much fact.
This isn't on the original topic, of course, but geographically isolated populations of various species mutate over as little as a couple hundred years to adapt to their local environment, while parent populations remain the same. The same is true of humans, in fact, as it is fairly well accepted that Caucasians developed their lighter skin pigment due to increased production of vitamin D from sunlight...an evolution reproduced in hairless rodents in only ten years. If these changes can happen in short periods of time, why wouldn't even more drastic changes happen over much longer periods?

Calluses aren't an evolutionary mutation. If removed they will not return in the absence of continued stress on the tissues. Just like a Florida tan will fade when a vacationer returns to Maine. Don't confuse the issues.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
 
624 posts, read 892,994 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Small mutations and changes within the same species is a fact. When I started playing guitar, it hurt like hell on my fingers. Then my body adapted and created thick calluses so I could play pain free. That's evolution.

One species changing into a completely different species over billions of years? Not so much fact.
This isn't on the original topic, of course, but geographically isolated populations of various species mutate over as little as a couple hundred years to adapt to their local environment, while parent populations remain the same. The same is true of humans, in fact, as it is fairly well accepted that Caucasians developed their lighter skin pigment due to changes in production of vitamin D from sunlight in northern climates...evolution reproduced in hairless rodents in only ten years. If these changes can happen in short periods of time, why would even more drastic changes happen over much longer periods?

Calluses aren't an evolutionary mutation. They are an adaptation. If removed they will not return in the absence of continued stress on the tissues. Just like a Florida tan will fade when a vacationer returns to Maine. Don't confuse the issues.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
 
624 posts, read 892,994 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Yeah I don't have a PHD in science like apparently EVERY atheist out here does. lol The arrogance from the atheist liberals is so nauseating.


Here's a hint. How about telling me exactly how I'm wrong instead of worthless banter saying I am so stupid and don't understand. Now that is trolling!
Like others who have responded to this, I don't have a PhD. I just read scholarly books and articles with the same interest devout Christians do the Bible. It's amazing what else is out there if you're not in too much denial to see it. Your comment reads to me like you're lashing out because you were bested in your argument.

How were others' responses worthless banter when they only took up a subject you started? That isn't trolling. It's called a factual response.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
33,323 posts, read 35,543,972 times
Reputation: 13728
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35
Small mutations and changes within the same species is a fact. When I started playing guitar, it hurt like hell on my fingers. Then my body adapted and created thick calluses so I could play pain free. That's evolution.

One species changing into a completely different species over billions of years? Not so much fact.
Actually in some cases it takes a lot less than even thousands of years....

"A small handful of European mice deposited on the island of Madeira some 600 years ago have now evolved into at least six different species. The island is very rocky and the mice became isolated into different niches. The original species had 40 chromosomes, but the new populations have anywhere between 22-30 chromosomes. They haven't lost DNA, but rather, some chromosomes have fused together over time and so the mice can now only breed with others with the same number of chromosomes, making each group a separate species." Are new species still evolving? › Ask an Expert (ABC Science)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 PM
 
2,398 posts, read 2,551,155 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
Like others who have responded to this, I don't have a PhD. I just read scholarly books and articles with the same interest devout Christians do the Bible. It's amazing what else is out there if you're not in too much denial to see it. Your comment reads to me like you're lashing out because you were bested in your argument.

How were others' responses worthless banter when they only took up a subject you started? That isn't trolling. It's called a factual response.
So why don't you profess other things the bible indicates? Like the fact that divorce is considered far worse a crime than same sex relations, or eating shell fish, or wearing blended fabrics. It is clearly indicated in Deuteronomy that women who are not virgins when they marry are suppose to be executed. How about the fact that slavery is clearly favored, and blacks are clearly not seen as equals being the sons and daughters of Hamm. What about all the children born out of wed lock? Why no mention of them? You realize they all burn in the flames of hell once they die, and actually that will happen for seven generations assuming that all their future generations marry before conceiving. What about no mention of contraception? Clearly, it seems as long as any so-called sins are of no consequence to you, then they should be highlighted, and reenforced.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top