U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,424,600 times
Reputation: 9847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Gays can't marry, well because they are gay!

When the gay turns straight he can marry a woman if he wants. A a gay man cant marry a gay man so your argument means nothing.

See how stupid your reply was? Typical liberal though: Gives no facts or reasoning to back up his/her position.
Why don't you try turning gay, and tell me how changing your orientation is done.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-01-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 4,053,610 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Gays can't marry, well because they are gay!

When the gay turns straight he can marry a woman if he wants. A a gay man cant marry a gay man so your argument means nothing.

See how stupid your reply was? Typical liberal though: Gives no facts or reasoning to back up his/her position.
Actually gays can and do get married every day. You may want to try to keep up with current events a little better.s

Last edited by okie1962; 09-01-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,990,361 times
Reputation: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Because those of us WITH functioning brains recognize that I did not equate such things.
Yes you did, it is called a false equivalence

Quote:
a logical fallacy which describes a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is none.
All these so called "polite objectors" to SSM lead off with this fallacy. They all tend to be exactly alike and in the end are forced like you were to offer your book of myth as justification for your pontification of falsehoods.

Quote:
Only time will tell if the "gay marriage experiment" really works.
It has been legal here for nearly 11 years and nothing really changed. The only thing that did change is that folk like you had one less thing to rail against. It can hardly be called an "experiment".

There has been zero demand for any for legalisation of bestiality, or paedophilia or polygamy (although the latter is practised as traditional amongst natives/blacks seeing our president has multiple wives). The age of consent here is 16 and is a tad more reasonable than the US.

Concession to SSM does not open the door to what you deem conservative values being usurped. In fact, it should not even be deemed a concession, it is a civil right regardless if the advent of being gay is a choice or genetic/natural. Their couplings do not affect straight people in any way. Gays will not hit on straight people as they tend to "know" who else is like them. It is IMO justified that their existence be taught as natural in schools to prevent bigots like you from developing.

So using the same style as you, demonstrate to us you do indeed have a functioning brain and retract this garbage. There are plenty of countries that have allowed SSM and life simply went on as normal. The US is just behind the curve but appear to be catching up. My guess is that soon it will reach a Federal level and be forced on all states.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,634 posts, read 14,267,536 times
Reputation: 15882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Gays can't marry, well because they are gay!

When the gay turns straight he can marry a woman if he wants. A a gay man cant marry a gay man so your argument means nothing.

See how stupid your reply was? Typical liberal though: Gives no facts or reasoning to back up his/her position.

Hey ... I'm confused ... ?

If a gay man can't marry another gay man then why was it in the news the other day the US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is going to officiate at the legal marriage of two gay men in Washington, DC?

Would a US Supreme Court Justice officiate at something that is not legal and binding?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 AM
 
Location: The West
349 posts, read 405,724 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Actually gays can and do get married every day. You may want to try to keep up with current events a little better.s
I know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why don't you try turning gay, and tell me how changing your orientation is done.
That post was not serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Age of consent laws.

That couple can wait 1 year and get legally married.
Waiting 1 year will not allow me to marry my fiancee. Only changing the law will allow that.
Well if two adult males can consent, I see no reason why a 15 year old cannot.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM
 
17,842 posts, read 13,874,737 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Why is it that Christians have a free pass to judge, insult, and bemoan the activities of others? If you want to do that, fine...but what's good for the goose is good for the gander....we can call you on your BS. Also, government is not forcing religion out...rational thinking and empowerment to stand up against silly, antiquated and arbitrary social norms are. Further, if your belief system requires fear to "keep 'em believing"...well, then the foundation is probably not that great.
Well said.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
24,223 posts, read 13,424,600 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
I know this.



That post was not serious...



Well if two adult males can consent, I see no reason why a 15 year old cannot.
The law.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 AM
 
17,842 posts, read 13,874,737 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

Because those of us WITH functioning brains recognize that I did not equate such things.
Yes. You did.

And instead of tossing around insults, please provide evidence for your claim to having a functioning brain because that has not been established in this thread.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-01-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 AM
 
Location: The West
349 posts, read 405,724 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The law.
So all of a sudden, the law is the law. No discussion is needed, we just follow the law.

But gay marriage? Hell no! We need to put this ridiculous issue over everything including the war and the economy. We must discuss this!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,634 posts, read 14,267,536 times
Reputation: 15882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

Homosexuals represent approximately 2% of the American population (as of the last time I checked) but yet they've managed to ram their agenda down everyone's throats whether we like it or not. The reason for that is because "everyone else" had no clear agreement on what is, and is not, wrong.



I don't accept your statistic ... I think it is "wishful thinking" on the part of the anti-LGBT lobby.

The percentage quoted is too low.

Lots of demographic studies have been done on the actual number of LGBT people going back to the 1930's research done by The Institutute of Sex Research at the University of Indiana founded by Dr. Alfred Kinsey. We will never know in our lifetimes the precise numbers ... because of prejudice and discrimination, many folks choose not to openly reveal their sexual orientation. When you look at the numbers care must be taken into account the numbers of bisexuals, who are always under-counted ... something that was not lost on Dr. Kinsey.

Regardless of the actually numbers of LGBT people, it is not a case of "2%" ramming down their agenda ... rather it was the majority of voters who sided with the LGBT community in 2012 when marriage equality came to a vote in Washington, Maryland, Maine, and Minnesota.

One more thing: actual numbers have little to do with influencing society. American Jews only comprise 2% of the nation's population ... yet in Ivy League universities they account for 20% of the undergraduate population, 25% of the graduate student population; one third of the US Supreme Court is Jewish. (source: The Daily Pennsylvanian - newspapeer of the University of Pennsylvania).
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top