U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM

4,577 posts, read 2,929,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The government should be completely out of the "marriage" business.

Marriage should be a social/religious contract that the government has no involvement.

If 18 guys want to marry 32 women and consider them all married to each other, they should go out and find a person to "marry" them and then write down on a piece of paper that they are "married" and get it notarized (every court house should have a notary provided for public use free of charge).
That is a tired old argument. Taking government out of the marriage business would mean the end of all government benefits that go along with marriage. Tell the majority of hetero-sexual married couples the government is doing away with no-tax inheritance benefits or the social security death benefit and see how popular that is.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM

14,917 posts, read 12,647,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The government should be completely out of the "marriage" business.

Marriage should be a social/religious contract that the government has no involvement.

If 18 guys want to marry 32 women and consider them all married to each other, they should go out and find a person to "marry" them and then write down on a piece of paper that they are "married" and get it notarized (every court house should have a notary provided for public use free of charge).
If there is no government involvement, what would the point be in having your marriage paperwork notarized?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'll marry a rock if it will **** off the Jesus brigade.
Sort of puts a whole new meaning to the phrase "go pound sand".

Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,480,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
You'd be surprised. Even the most liberal of black folks I know are iffy on gay stuff.
Your tone makes you out to be a completely uneducated, ungrateful brat. You seem like the type that has absolutely no respect for the past or the work of your elders. How dare you be so uneducated to not see the similarities between African American rights and gay rights. There once was a day that a white man was superior to a black man, JUST BECAUSE. And now, you have the nerve to sit behind your little keyboard and spout off the way you do? Talk about taking the past for granted. Absolutely gross.

A few other points:

1. If you think you're superior "just because" you can reproduce, think again. There are plenty of straight couples that cannot reproduce for a multitude of reasons. Where does this leave them? PLEASE address that.

2. Gay Marriage should be called marriage and no other term should be used, e.g. "union." The definition of this "marriage" has changed so much throughout history, I can believe some of you are so stupid to think it's been this "holy sacrament" for all of history. Should straight Atheists not be allowed to use the term marriage either? Is that reserved for super Christians or something? Do explain.

3. I can't believe that after points on incest and children have been successfully rebutted, people still use that defense. For **** sake, write new material. Get creative and give something else, my goodness.

4. Finally, if you are a straight, successfully married Conservative Christian, WHY DO YOU CARE? Does your superiority complex quake in its loafers because another group of people you once looked down on will soon be equal to you in the eyes of the law?

Oh and hey, MyronHarpoons, these people that are all against gay rights definitely would have been against you back in the day...just because of your skin color. Isn't that terrible? ...

Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM

8,349 posts, read 6,784,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
L
1) Should people who wish to marry their close relatives (sisters, brothers, children, parents, first cousins, etc) be permitted to do so
Yes, as long as both parties are consenting.

Quote:
2) Should people who wish to marry multiple spouses be permitted to do so because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law?
Yes, as long as all parties are consenting.

Quote:
3) Should people who wish to marry "children" be permitted to do so
Define children (as I support the lowering of the "age of consent" to around 15-16), anything earlier than that however is a no, due to that sticky issue of "consent".

Quote:
4) Should people who wish to marry animals be permitted to do so
No.

Because animals cannot be proven to give consent.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM

349 posts, read 405,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Your tone makes you out to be a completely uneducated, ungrateful brat. You seem like the type that has absolutely no respect for the past or the work of your elders. How dare you be so uneducated to not see the similarities between African American rights and gay rights. There once was a day that a white man was superior to a black man, JUST BECAUSE. And now, you have the nerve to sit behind your little keyboard and spout off the way you do? Talk about taking the past for granted. Absolutely gross.
I never knew gays were taken as slaves, hung from trees and segregated. Sheesh, must have been a hard time for them back in the day

Quote:
1. If you think you're superior "just because" you can reproduce, think again. There are plenty of straight couples that cannot reproduce for a multitude of reasons. Where does this leave them? PLEASE address that.
Rofl. You're the only one making this outrageous claim. I never said that

Quote:
2. Gay Marriage should be called marriage and no other term should be used, e.g. "union." The definition of this "marriage" has changed so much throughout history, I can believe some of you are so stupid to think it's been this "holy sacrament" for all of history. Should straight Atheists not be allowed to use the term marriage either? Is that reserved for super Christians or something? Do explain.
Marriage has always been between a man and a woman...

Quote:
4. Finally, if you are a straight, successfully married Conservative Christian, WHY DO YOU CARE? Does your superiority complex quake in its loafers because another group of people you once looked down on will soon be equal to you in the eyes of the law?
Don't you notice the link between the degradation of society and issues like these?

Quote:
Oh and hey, MyronHarpoons, these people that are all against gay rights definitely would have been against you back in the day...just because of your skin color. Isn't that terrible? ...
Yea it is...

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,480,688 times
Quote:
I never knew gays were taken as slaves, hung from trees and segregated. Sheesh, must have been a hard time for them back in the day
"Back in the day," prior to 1967, male homosexual activity was illegal. You could be imprisoned for being who you are. As a result, what we now consider hate crimes today, were common and often ignored by law enforcement. Abuse was frequent and common. Don't even think of getting a job as a gay person. You could easily be ran out of a neighborhood just for being who you are and minding your own business. Sound familiar at all?

Quote:
This wasn't directed at you. Read back through the thread. One poster in particular claimed that he and his relationship was instantly more valuable because he was able to produce offspring. READ.

Quote:
Really? We'll just chalk this one up to pure ignorance on your behalf. African Americans couldn't marry Caucasians. That has changed. Why are you so close-minded, as a minority yourself, not to see the same trend here?

Educate yourself:

Hasn't marriage always been between one man and one woman?
No, it has not. In many cultures, both ancient and modern, polygamy has been quite common, which describes the relationship of one husband with multiple wives. This was, in fact, the predominant pattern of human family in ancient Israelite and other near-Eastern and Mediterranean cultures.

Doesn't the Bible support marriage as a union between one man and one woman?
Not really. The primary familial pattern in the Hebrew Scriptures is polygamy—one husband with multiple wives. The sexual ideal in the Christian Scriptures is chastity and celibacy. Jesus was even critical of the institution of marriage, suggesting that those who wished to be worthy of the resurrection "neither marry nor are given in marriage" (Luke 20:35).

(Found at Marriage Equality and Religion: Frequently Asked Questions | CLGS)

Quote:
Don't you notice the link between the degradation of society and issues like these?
"Back in the day," if I was an uneducated white man, I could have made that EXACT SAME ARGUMENT during the African American Civil Rights movement. "If we give those people rights..." My entire gripe with you is that you're spitting in the face of history. You're completely ignorant and clearly proud of your ignorance to the point that that you can't see that history repeats itself due to human stupidity. Times change. If they didn't, you could potentially be the property of white man at the moment and women would still be seen and not heard. Fortunately, we've progressed as a society and now see those things as absurd in 2013. But as I said, human stupidity is usually the culprit to all societal disagreements...and this is no different.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM

17,842 posts, read 13,876,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I can have kids naturally, our sex organs go together perfectly. Therefore my relationship is superior to yours. Just like you think your relationship is superior to that of a polygamist and an incest couples. Who's the real hypocrite here hmmm?

You're just a religiousphobe and Heterophobe
How do you know you can have kids naturally? You might be sterile.

Have you had sex? Are you married?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,133,025 times
Quote:

Yea it is...
Were black people institutionalized and operated on? Were they lobotomized or castrated, beheaded or raped to make them straight? What makes you think that gays have not suffered indignities foisted upon them? Why do you think civil rights were and are only about black people? And typical to blame gays for the ills of society, we must be an awfully powerful group of people to affect so many and yet we are less than 5% of the population. Marriage, so you know, has not always been between a man and a woman, in many cultures, including that of the native Americans, supported same sex unions.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,052,938 times
Quote:

No it hasn't.

And before that, marriage in ancient greeks also included the union of two men. This was also allowed in Ancient China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.