U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 10,133,025 times
Reputation: 4285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
'Twasn't the only thing I sought. It was but one thing on a list of ~50 "must haves". However, where "size" is concerned, my wife was a size 32 when we met. These days she's in the mid-20's. It's tough to tell... first of all, I don't pay attention nor do I care... and second of all, she's so much bigger on the bottom than she is on the top, so to apply one "size" to her is misleading. I'd dated women down to size 14 and did not find them too thin. 12 was "too thin". So did a woman have to be morbidly obese to be attractive to me? No. Maybe it's the shape. Her shape is awesome.

But it's certainly not the only thing I sought. Thanks for playing - we have some wonderful parting gifts for you.

I'm not going to convince you, nor anyone, that I'm right. People who are this brainwashed are naturally going to believe that one such as myself is illogically bigoted.

However, someday...... Romans 14:11 "For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."

Every.

Including yours.
Ha ha haha ha ha, you talk about someone being brainwashed, then quote your bible , talk about being brainwashed.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 10,133,025 times
Reputation: 4285
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
FTR, what does sex have to do with marriage?

More to the point, what does homosexual copulation have to do with anything such that two homosexuals need to be married for any imaginable reason?

Don't you make the sex lives of two consenting adults your business when you set out to redefine marriage?
No, my partner and I are married, yet we do not have sex. I have many straigth friends and gay friends that stay with their partners and without sex. It is some christians that make same sex marriage about the "sex" that gay people have. Is straight marriage only about the SEX? There is no redifinition of marriage, that is just a strawman that has no stability, straight marriages are not changed one dang bit by gays getting married, you are still husband and wife, man and woman. How does same sex couples getting married change that?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 PM
 
1,519 posts, read 1,189,156 times
Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
I know plenty of people who dont use those acronyms...of all different ages. Perhaps we run with different crowds, mine generally can think for themselves. Sounds like yours, not so much...nothing wrong with certain societal developments, as long as they are positive.

Are you going to finger wag me some more?
I think you misunderstand. I am most definitely not wagging a finger at you. Why in the world would I? Because you don't know a given acronym? That would be more than silly - although, of course, you could have simply looked it up, given that you were sitting in front of a computer...

Instead, I am simply amazed that, in this day and age, there are still people out there who don't know what this term means. It's been around for over a decade. I said that I was no spring chicken because even an old geezer like me cannot avoid keeping abreast with such pervasive usage of acronyms.

It simply expresses that you do not have your finger on the pulse of society but are removed from the societal changes that younger generations engender. If that's the life you want to live, so be it.

It has nothing to do with thinking independently - what kind of ridiculous statement is that? It has everything to do with modern media and the effect it has had (and still has) on our language. A development you, apparently, somehow missed. That is potentially a problem because, in the end, it will affect how you feel about other developments in this nation since you will lack the proper framework in which to understand a changed culture. If you fail to grasp the usage of acronyms, just imagine what other societal developments you are not comprehending.

Ever hear older generations reminisce about the "good old days?" That's one part of it - the "good old days" were a time that made sense to them whereas the present is confusing, challenging, and often threatening. You can read it on this forum, too, when particularly older posters lament that these days, up is down, left is right, black is white, etc. Those are words that virtually scream - Hey, I don't understand what you guys are doing. As we grow older, we naturally grow more distant from the concerns of younger generations as our personal focus shifts.

Perhaps you and I run with different crowds. It seems that you live in a world where young people only exist on the periphery. In my life, they are relevant and not just some nuisance that I won't let intrude on my life. I try to keep abreast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I too am not a spring chicken and knew what you meant. If I do not know an acronym, I type it in google to see what it means. I have several friends from a bike team and they are spring chickens who use acronyms all the time, I just look them up. That way I am adapting to change, not fighting it.
See, that's the approach I take. I want to know what happens in our society and in order to comprehend the changes, I need to understand where many of these changes are coming from - they come from people who are significantly younger than I am.

It's just a way of keeping in touch and of enabling myself to be part of a society. It counteracts the inevitable feeling of not understanding "kids today" when you grow older and it helps with staying relevant, engaged, and invested.

Alas, this probably at least partially explains the divergent attitudes toward gay marriage. Young people tend to support it, older folks don't. Older folks have failed to comprehend the changes in our society and are now fighting tooth and nail to keep the status quo.

I am certainly not the type of person who needs to ride on the forefront of every trend, but I do understand the idea of equality and I understand that this concept and its meaning have been expanded in the last few decades. Others, apparently, are mired in their own world...far removed from the thoughts and ideas of younger generations.

Last edited by Fuselage; 09-12-2013 at 12:21 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 AM
 
219 posts, read 275,806 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I think you misunderstand. I am most definitely not wagging a finger at you. Why in the world would I? Because you don't know a given acronym? That would be more than silly - although, of course, you could have simply looked it up, given that you were sitting in front of a computer...

Instead, I am simply amazed that, in this day and age, there are still people out there who don't know what this term means. It's been around for over a decade. I said that I was no spring chicken because even an old geezer like me cannot avoid keeping abreast with such pervasive usage of acronyms.

It simply expresses that you do not have your finger on the pulse of society but are removed from the societal changes that younger generations engender. If that's the life you want to live, so be it.

It has nothing to do with thinking independently - what kind of ridiculous statement is that? It has everything to do with modern media and the effect it has had (and still has) on our language. A development you, apparently, somehow missed. That is your problem because, in the end, it will affect how you feel about other developments in this nation since you will lack the proper framework in which to understand a changed culture. If you fail to grasp the usage of acronyms, just imagine what other societal developments you are not comprehending.

Perhaps you and I run with different crowds. It seems that you live in a world where young people only exist on the periphery. In my life, they are relevant and not just some nuisance that I won't let intrude on my life.



See, that's the approach I take. I want to know what happens in our society and in order to comprehend the changes, I need to understand where many of these changes are coming from - they come from people who are significantly younger than I am.

It's just a way of keeping in touch and of enabling myself to be part of a society. It counteracts the inevitable feeling of not understanding "kids today" when you grow older and it helps with staying relevant, engaged, and invested.

Alas, this probably at least partially explains the divergent attitudes toward gay marriage. Young people tend to support it, older folks don't. Older folks have failed to comprehend the changes in our society and are now fighting tooth and nail to keep the status quo.

I am certainly not the type of person who needs to ride on the forefront of every trend, but I do understand the idea of equality and I understand that this concept and its meaning have been expanded in the last few decades. Others, apparently, are mired in their own world...far removed from the thoughts and ideas of younger generations.
Yeah, you are definitely trying to finger wag me.....

Once again, your post is full of assumptions..... almost every person who is older (where I am) is cool with gays getting married. As far as young people, most I know, as I stated above, don't talk with dumb acronyms. I tend to hang out with creative and intelligent types so they tend to have better socialization skills. Most of them don't stare at I Phones all day too....

There are more than you think out there like that..... many also prefer rock and country music to rap music as well. I do enjoy how you are trying very hard to make me out to be some bad guy who is out of touch. It is you, however who seem like you don't know what is happening outside of tv stereotypes

You really do like to project and generalize based on your own environment..... we aren't homogeneous culturally yet. Try opening your mind as well
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
172 posts, read 285,439 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
1) Should people who wish to marry their close relatives (sisters, brothers, children, parents, first cousins, etc) be permitted to do so because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law?

2) Should people who wish to marry multiple spouses be permitted to do so because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law?

3) Should people who wish to marry "children" be permitted to do so (assuming the children also want it) because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law?

4) Should people who wish to marry animals be permitted to do so, because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law?
1 & 2) Yes
Many supporters of gay marriage will often pretend these two issues are somehow different than the underlying principle behind support for gay marriage–they're wrong. There's no reason to prevent any number of consenting adults, regardless of their familial relationship, from entering into any sort of relationship they want. I consider incest gross, but that's an emotional response, not an argument.

3) No
Assuming the child wants it begs the question: is a child capable of understanding the implications involved in entering into a marriage and therefore capable of consent?

4) Nonsensical
This question is completely nonsensical. How would someone marry an animal? Even if it were possible to marry an animal, it's not like we don't do much worse things to them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 6,261,725 times
Reputation: 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Lately I've been discussing this on another thread and to avoid derailing the conversation, I decided to post it in a different thread.

I've heard the argument made by those in favor of gay marriage, quite a lot in recent years. It boils down to equal treatment under the law, "it's only love", "to each his own", etc. One thing that has always escaped me is where the gay marriage supporters would "draw the line"... as in, where they would stop applying that rationale when considering other types of marriage. So I have a few questions for y'all, and let's see what type of response I get.

1) Should people who wish to marry their close relatives (sisters, brothers, children, parents, first cousins, etc) be permitted to do so because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law? After all, it's only love. It may even be heterosexual love, and the two parties may be at or beyond the age of consent! There has even been a "condition" named for some people who feel this attraction - they call it "GSA" or "Genetic Sexual Attraction".

2) Should people who wish to marry multiple spouses be permitted to do so because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law? Heck, some people even claim that their religion commands them to do so. If they can have a happy marriage and support multiple spouses, why not? After all, it's only love, and in so doing, each spouse would be relieved from a pressure oft felt by an exclusive spouse - the pressure to singlehandedly meet all of his/her spouse's needs!

3) Should people who wish to marry "children" be permitted to do so (assuming the children also want it) because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law? Don't kid yourself... some kids know plenty about love. I've been a lover since age 2, and my development of feelings of romantic love was at least three years ahead of the average. I can't be the only one. Children can feel love too. The age of consent may be 16 but when people start dating, for real, around age 12 (or even younger, these days), that shows that they have an idea of what "love" is. And besides, many countries allow marriage of children for any number of reasons. It's legal on most continents in the world, and in most countries therein. American "children" engage in sexual relationships and get each other pregnant all the time. Why not legalize marriage of people under age 16 (without parental or judicial consent of any kind) in America?

4) Should people who wish to marry animals be permitted to do so, because only then would they be getting equal treatment under the law? Let's face it... animals have a pretty deep capacity for showing love. Certain types of animals are much less inclined to cause problems for people than people are. (I read this one time - "Try locking your wife, and your dog, in the trunk of your car for a few hours. When you open the lid, which one will be happy to see you?") It's only love... and how could it harm either the person or the animal?

Now... if you answer "no" to any of these questions, I'd like an explanation as to why... and to be fair, you should know that I will be examining the explanations to see how they differ from the explanations commonly used to support gay marriage. And if you start name-calling, your post will be reported. Let's keep this civil. Obviously I am not a gay marriage supporter, but liberal-minded people who support gay marriage often use the word "tolerance". Let's apply that and be tolerant of my views, seeing as I am coming at this civilly.
I was talking to a friend and brother in the Christian faith and he made some good points to me....

The issue is should the government be involved AT ALL in Marriage. The general consensus is that it shouldn't be.

GOD has ordained a Man to be with a Woman in marriage. This GOD-ordained institution both provides a healthy enjoyment and outlet of this powerful reproduction drive in us as well as provides a GOD-established UNIT to Protect, Nourish, and Raise CHILDREN.

GOD is the REALITY. In the end, it does not matter what you believe. It only matters what IS. GOD is the ultimate reality and is not blessing Homosexual Marriages. According to Romans 1, this is a SAD testimony of one's SPIRITUAL STATE towards GOD. It's an open show of their REBELLION of God's established order as they've been given over to PERVERSION. How many Homosexuals do you know that truly are Bible-believing Christians that love God dedicated to loving, obeying, and serving Him?

No the absolute MAJORITY if dare I say not ALL (that I have come across at least) are downright HOSTILE toward GOD in JESUS CHRIST. This hostility can quickly be seen by a simple conversation. It is a sign that someone is in a BAD Spiritual condition with their relationship with GOD. Actually the Bible is clear without coming to JESUS for forgiveness of sins, we are eternally SEPARATE from God and can NOT approach Him outside the sacrificial blood of His only begotten Son.

So the issue is that the Government SHOULD NOT have been giving TAX BREAKS in the FIRST PLACE. << PERIOD..

They have NO BUSINESS encroaching on what GOD has established to be Right.

If the Government just got out of it all, EVERYTHING WOULD CORRECT ITSELF REAL QUICK.

The absolute majority WOULD BE GETTING MARRIED AS HUSBAND AND WIFE...

why..? because GOD blesses this institution that HE has ordained, and the issue is YOU the Man, and YOU the wife, and GOD and HIS hand of blessing upon YOUR Family.

BIOLOGY teaches us that it is to be a MAN and a WOMAN.

Who builds a house with a bucket of bolts? OR a bucket of screws? It takes a screw and a bolt to build a strong foundation. The two fit together and are NATURAL.

It's all quite clear when you OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE IT.

The entire "Gay rights" movement is simply a public display of their REBELLION TOWARD GOD, and if you are that FOOLISH enough to persist in this way than YOU will have to ANSWER FOR IT ONE DAY when you

STAND

BEFORE

HIM

Revelation 20:11-14 (KJV)

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

GOD is longsuffering toward us through His love however, and as His rebellious creatures persist to Hate Him, and with by His MERCY he has not rewarded us YET according to our iniquities..

God requires all to come to repentance (change of mind away from sin and self and toward Him) through Jesus Christ accepting what He's done for you on your behalf for an undeserving guilty individual that DESERVES the sentence of DAMNATION.

God sent Jesus Christ to take the punishment for your sin so YOU DO NOT HAVE TO.

The ONLY sin you have to ask for on the day of Judgment ultimately is why did you reject Jesus Christ?

There's no greater shame than turning your back to the cross where God demonstrated HIS love for us.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM
 
8,289 posts, read 13,073,532 times
Reputation: 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I was talking to a friend and brother in the Christian faith and he made some good points to me....

The issue is should the government be involved AT ALL in Marriage. The general consensus is that it shouldn't be.

GOD has ordained a Man to be with a Woman in marriage. This GOD-ordained institution both provides a healthy enjoyment and outlet of this powerful reproduction drive in us as well as provides a GOD-established UNIT to Protect, Nourish, and Raise CHILDREN.

GOD is the REALITY. In the end, it does not matter what you believe. It only matters what IS. GOD is the ultimate reality and is not blessing Homosexual Marriages. According to Romans 1, this is a SAD testimony of one's SPIRITUAL STATE towards GOD. It's an open show of their REBELLION of God's established order as they've been given over to PERVERSION. How many Homosexuals do you know that truly are Bible-believing Christians that love God dedicated to loving, obeying, and serving Him?

No the absolute MAJORITY if dare I say not ALL (that I have come across at least) are downright HOSTILE toward GOD in JESUS CHRIST. This hostility can quickly be seen by a simple conversation. It is a sign that someone is in a BAD Spiritual condition with their relationship with GOD. Actually the Bible is clear without coming to JESUS for forgiveness of sins, we are eternally SEPARATE from God and can NOT approach Him outside the sacrificial blood of His only begotten Son.

So the issue is that the Government SHOULD NOT have been giving TAX BREAKS in the FIRST PLACE. << PERIOD..

They have NO BUSINESS encroaching on what GOD has established to be Right.

If the Government just got out of it all, EVERYTHING WOULD CORRECT ITSELF REAL QUICK.

The absolute majority WOULD BE GETTING MARRIED AS HUSBAND AND WIFE...

why..? because GOD blesses this institution that HE has ordained, and the issue is YOU the Man, and YOU the wife, and GOD and HIS hand of blessing upon YOUR Family.

BIOLOGY teaches us that it is to be a MAN and a WOMAN.

Who builds a house with a bucket of bolts? OR a bucket of screws? It takes a screw and a bolt to build a strong foundation. The two fit together and are NATURAL.

It's all quite clear when you OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE IT.

The entire "Gay rights" movement is simply a public display of their REBELLION TOWARD GOD, and if you are that FOOLISH enough to persist in this way than YOU will have to ANSWER FOR IT ONE DAY when you

STAND

BEFORE

HIM

Revelation 20:11-14 (KJV)

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

GOD is longsuffering toward us through His love however, and as His rebellious creatures persist to Hate Him, and with by His MERCY he has not rewarded us YET according to our iniquities..

God requires all to come to repentance (change of mind away from sin and self and toward Him) through Jesus Christ accepting what He's done for you on your behalf for an undeserving guilty individual that DESERVES the sentence of DAMNATION.

God sent Jesus Christ to take the punishment for your sin so YOU DO NOT HAVE TO.

The ONLY sin you have to ask for on the day of Judgment ultimately is why did you reject Jesus Christ?

There's no greater shame than turning your back to the cross where God demonstrated HIS love for us.
Your points are non nonsensical. What if I don't believe in your God? Why should your faith determine my Civil Rights as an American because you believe what was written in a book thousands of years ago? Last time I checked the US Constitution is what rules this nation not the Bible.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
bUU
 
Location: Florida
12,077 posts, read 10,199,888 times
Reputation: 8792
I think you need to read Mikelee81's comments in their correct context: They specifically repudiate any claim a Christian could make that would rationalize any advantage going to people in marriages that Christians recognize that isn't given to people in marriages that Christians don't recognize. While Mikelee81 didn't go this far, and perhaps without realizing it, what he's written effectively indicates that any set of two adults should be able to claim all the benefits our society bestows on married couples, because government shouldn't be using marriage as a criteria for those benefits but rather something both unrelated to marriage and (of course) fair and just.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 5,083,253 times
Reputation: 3860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
GOD is the REALITY...
Which one?

Astarte? Zeus? Vishnu? Odin? Yahweh? Cthulhu? Flying Spaghetti Monster?

There's no more reason to claim any one of these gods is "real" than there is to say the same for any of the others, or any of the thousands of gods dreamt up in the human mind and heart.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 6,261,725 times
Reputation: 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think you need to read Mikelee81's comments in their correct context: They specifically repudiate any claim a Christian could make that would rationalize any advantage going to people in marriages that Christians recognize that isn't given to people in marriages that Christians don't recognize. While Mikelee81 didn't go this far, and perhaps without realizing it, what he's written effectively indicates that any set of two adults should be able to claim all the benefits our society bestows on married couples, because government shouldn't be using marriage as a criteria for those benefits but rather something both unrelated to marriage and (of course) fair and just.

NOPE

What I am saying is that the GOVERNMENT has NO BUSINESS being in the Marriage business. There should be

NO

BENEFIT

through taxes or any other means because GOVERNMENT has no PLACE in this GOD-ordained INSTITUTION.

So GOVERNMENT should have never got involved in the FIRST PLACE.

God is not blessing Homosexual "Marriages"..

According to Him it is an ABOMINATION, and is going to come into Judgment if not repented of and forsaken.

If the Government would just but out of the entire issue, than it would go away because SOCIETY at LARGE DOES NOT CONDONE THIS UNION.

It has become and issue because the Federal GOVERNEMENT decided to butt its ugly head into business that is not theirs.


So "Gay" people go attempt to get married... IS GOD BLESSING IT?

NO..

Things will work themselves out naturally.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top