Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
What the hell does that post have to do with this discussion? This is not about religion,. I guess you have no argument so you try to switch it to something else that's unrelated, just like people that pull the race card BS when it comes to illegal immigration or even this issue. Those things have nothing to do with it.
So your opposition to gay marriage isn't based on your religion and your use of the phrase "the Bible says" in a previous post was just for effect? I aplogize. Let me rephrase. Because you're the one who wants 100% proof and not getting it deem the argument invalid I will apply your own criteria. Present me with 100% proof that homosexuality is a choice. If you can't then your agument is dismissed. Is that more to your liking?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
You are asking the wrong question OP.

The question is not whether people should be able to marry whomever or whatever they wish.

They question is why is government, state or federal, involved in licensing something which is basically just a contract between private parties?

Who gave them that power and why do you and most others accept that?
Protestants gave them that power when they declared marriage a worldly thing and required civil marriage laws by a justice of the peace in Europe. It spread to England as Common Law Marriage, and was brought to the US by the Puritans.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I don't think i read anything coming from the OP that was hateful. I believe he's just stating his opinion based on his beliefs.
Just because someone doesn't approve of gay marriage doesn't doesn't make them hateful.

I believe that this thread would have been closed a long time ago if the OP's purpose was to "make hateful" comments towards gay. He is simply stating his position.

Now, If it is you guys' view, that anyone who doesn't approve of gay Marriage is a bigot or is hateful then, you guys are also entitled to your own opinions.
Equating the relationships of loving committed same-sex couples to sexually abusing children and having sex with animals goes WAY further than just 'disagreement' or 'simply stating a position'.

How the heck is that NOT a hateful disgusting comment?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:48 AM

349 posts, read 422,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Protestants gave them that power when they declared marriage a worldly thing and required civil marriage laws by a justice of the peace in Europe. It spread to England as Common Law Marriage, and was brought to the US by the Puritans.
Why aren't you on the misc?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Equating the relationships of loving committed same-sex couples to sexually abusing children and having sex with animals goes WAY further than just 'disagreement' or 'simply stating a position'.

How the heck is that NOT a hateful disgusting comment?
How is a 34 year old man and a 15 year old girl wanting to marry any different from two gays wanting to do the same?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Incest produces offspring with genetic issues that are proven by science...so no its not the same...
Marrying multiple partners is fine I guess..as long as everyone is consenting adults.
Kids and animals...well they cant consent...so that takes care of that...
Btw..marriage isnt just about love...its about commitment and social stability as well as security...its important to a relationship far beyond just love...love is simply the foundation...marriage is a good thing...for straights and gays...

Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Incest produces offspring with genetic issues that are proven by science...so no its not the same...
Marrying multiple partners is fine I guess..as long as everyone is consenting adults.
Kids and animals...well they cant consent...so that takes care of that...
Btw..marriage isnt just about love...its about commitment and social stability as well as security...its important to a relationship far beyond just love...love is simply the foundation...marriage is a good thing...for straights and gays...
Woah hold on. I'm pretty sure most 14-17 year old's are able to consent. Why cant they marry a 27 year old? Personally, I find it disturbing that libs will allow two fathers to go through such an unnatural process in having a child via surrogate baby (does the child ever get to meet it's mom like nature intended?) but won't allow a 16 year old to bear children for a 38 year old man.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh for heaven's sake! Emancipated children are usually placed in foster care.
Emancipated children are NOT placed in foster care.. You dont have a dam clue what the fk you're talking about.. Orphaned children are
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Do you seriously think a 9 year old should be able to get married and sign mortgages? It's your prerogative. I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.
I never made any such claim, I said the COURTS decide.

Give it a break..

Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
That's what the government wants. The reason why religion has been dying is because our government has been working toward its demise.
Nonsense. Religion is dying out because that's what people in our society want. It stems from it being revealed that religion doesn't have the answers it claims to have. That, in turn, is a reflect of the fact that most religion has insisted on a path of reactionaryism. It's like trying to sell cassette tapes in an MP3 world. The wisdom of the ages does have some utility today, but presented as if we're still in the year 1013, in an attempt by some religions to maintain power that religion has no right to hold in the first place, defiles the wise message.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
How is a 34 year old man and a 15 year old girl wanting to marry any different from two gays wanting to do the same?
Because the 15 year old is, well...15!
When the 15 yr old turns 18 she can marry a 100 year old if she wants. A 15 year old boy can't marry a 34 year old man either so your argument means nothing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.