Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

I've been called a hippie or a lady because of my long hair.
You're a man and you have long hair? Don't you know what the Bible says about that?

"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him" - Corinthians 1 11:14

Quote:
Many times does the Bible speak against homosexuality.
Really? There are a handful of obscure verses referring to:

-male temple prostitutes worshipping Canaanite fertility gods
-male rape of strangers (a common practice used to humiliate and dominate strangers and prisoners of war. Most male rape is by heterosexual men)
-using ritual vaginal or anal sex acts to worship 1st century pagan fertility gods in the Corinthian temples by people who were clearly heterosexual by nature.
-male prostitutes and the men who sell them.

Please tell me how you can honestly claim: "Many times does the Bible speak against homosexuality".

Quote:
So if a business owner is going to follow the Bible...
...they would break a lot of 21st century laws if they actually followed ALL of the Bible.

Is hypocritically cherry-picking the Bible and taking verses out of their original context to support their own prejudices 'following the Bible'?

Last edited by Ceist; 09-05-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
If you were REQUIRED BY LAW to close on the Sunday Sabbath, have only Christian holiday decorations if you have holiday decorations at all, and refuse support to any person or group that espouses any belief or lifestyle contrary to the Word of God (such as homosexuality), how would you feel?
The difference is, no one is forcing anyone to get married to someone of the same sex. No one is saying that you can't believe what ever you want. If you CHOOSE to operate a business, you must follow the law.

You are telling me that I can not marry my partner. YOU are the ones using force. Me getting married will not harm you in any way, all I am asking for is to be treated equally under the law.

So, nice straw man you've built, but it has nothing to do with what is ACTUALLY going on.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The Bible does not speak against interracial marriage at all - it only ever speaks against marriage between people of differing religions.
So why do you think many Christians used the Bible to support their prejudice against interracial marriage?

And why do you think many Christians used the Bible to support owning black slaves?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
But as I said in a previous post, this is not what's happening. It's not that we can all have our own beliefs and be okay with it. People are getting sued, fired, and harassed for not serving gay couples even if the reason why they're not serving gay couples is because of their Christian beliefs. (Whatever happened to "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason"?!) People are getting their businesses shut down if they don't serve gay couples or other types of people who they don't want to serve for whatever reason.

Not for simply having a particular religious belief. Only when that religious belief violates a law. There, how hard is that to understand?

It's against your religious belief to serve homosexuals? No problem - unless there is a law that says that homosexuals are a protected class that cannot be discriminated against merely based on their sexual orientation.

It's against your religious belief to serve women when they are not wearing a hajib? No problem - unless there is a law that says that religion (or lack thereof) is a protected class that cannot be discriminated against.

Wow - what a difficult concept.

Last edited by Fuselage; 09-05-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Not for simply having a particular religious belief. Only when that religious belief violates a law. There, how hard is that to understand?

It's against your religious belief to serve homosexuals? No problem - unless there is a law that says that homosexuals are a protected class that cannot be discriminated against merely based on their sexual orientation.

It's against your religious belief to serve women when they are not wearing a hajib? No problem - unless there is a law that says that religion (or lack thereof) is a protected class that cannot be discriminated against.

Wow - what a difficult concept.
That wasn't posted by me, it was RomaniGypsy. Would you mind editing your post? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
That wasn't posted by me, it was RomaniGypsy. Would you mind editing your post? Thanks.
Well, I'll be... I have no idea how that happened. Fixed it.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Well, I'll be... I have no idea how that happened. Fixed it.
Thanks! I wouldn't want my username associated with anything he wrote.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Quote:
There is no significant religious group that prohibits baking a cake or taking photographs for people who don't follow the religious dogma. That's a nonsensical fabrication of circumstance. Stop working so hard to rationalize offensive bigotry against homosexuals.
If you were REQUIRED BY LAW to close on the Sunday Sabbath, have only Christian holiday decorations if you have holiday decorations at all, and refuse support to any person or group that espouses any belief or lifestyle contrary to the Word of God (such as homosexuality), how would you feel?
Third base.

Ice cream has no bones.

The quick brown foxes jumped over the lazy dogs.

These responses make more sense in response to what you wrote than what you wrote has with regard to what it was replying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So, nice straw man you've built, but it has nothing to do with what is ACTUALLY going on.
Precisely. It's basically nothing but a cynical dodge and rationalization for offensive bigotry and hate.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So...you'd be OK if you were kicked out of a store for being a Gypsy? From what I understand, gypsies have been harassed, persecuted and discriminated against for a very long time. You're OK with that?
If some business owner did not want to serve me because I have Gypsy heritage, I would accept it. His loss, not mine. Someone else will get my business and my money. Nothing says he has to like me, and I would oppose any law which made Gypsies a protected class to the extent that failure to serve / hire / sell or rent real estate to / transact business with Gypsies would open them up to lawsuits, legalized harassment, and/or having their businesses shut down. I prefer for people to have freedom to choose the people with whom they wish to deal, regardless of whether or not said choices are impacted by supportable or totally ignorant prejudices. I prefer for Gypsies to stand on their own merits. If we show ourselves to be upstanding individuals who generally don't cause trouble and are generally pleasant to work with, any remaining discrimination and prejudice will, over time, fade away. After all, the Bible says nothing about Gypsies being inherently evil or worse than any other ethnicity.

I am OK with it. Of course, I would make sure that other people knew about what store kicked me out for being a Gypsy. It works both ways. If the general public opposes discrimination against Gypsies, they will show it by refusing to shop at that store and then the store will go under. I support a discriminatory business going belly-up in that way... that's the voice of the people speaking. I do not support legislative means of silencing individuals who discriminate. After all, most people who do discriminate feel that they have plenty of good reason for doing so. Legislating it out of existence (on paper at least) illegitimizes those reasons and prevents people from making what they feel are the best choices for their own businesses or their own lives. If people don't want discrimination, they can vote it out of existence themselves, with their wallets. Let the people make that decision, not the pandering elitists in Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
blahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Don't you have anything better to do with your life? I never said my hair was that long. I said some people have mistaken me for a woman because of it. In 11 years of having "long hair", it's happened a number of times that I can count on one hand. Therefore it would seem to be more a consequence of many women preferring manly hairstyles these days, than my hair being long enough and styled such that it really makes me indistinguishable from a female. You should know that my hair has never been as long as Jesus' hair in any artistic rendering of Him that I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Third base.

Ice cream has no bones.

The quick brown foxes jumped over the lazy dogs.

These responses make more sense in response to what you wrote than what you wrote has with regard to what it was replying to.

Precisely. It's basically nothing but a cynical dodge and rationalization for offensive bigotry and hate.
And yet you STILL dodged my question, as did everyone else.

So typical. I should know better than to expect a straight answer out of liberals who are bigoted against, intolerant of, and hateful toward those of us who PRACTICE (not just claim to follow) a conservative religion such as Christianity. (Your own medicine sure tastes bitter, doesn't it?)

I'm not even going to bother asking the question again. After all, it was, to an extent, rhetorical. The answer is implied. Some of us understand, some of us don't (and never will). Again, like trying to teach calculus to a kindergarten class, except for how the kindergarten class is not consciously choosing the path of ignorance like adults frequently do. The complete lack of intellect and civility shown by the gay-marriage supporters on this thread merely supports what I've always said. I try to have an intelligent, civil debate by asking a question numerous times and, each and every time, instead of answering the question, it gets dodged in favor of character assassination. Apparently, y'all have consumed massive quantities of the Kool-Aid and thoroughly enjoy its effects.

Conclusion: America is screwed.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
I would oppose any law which made Gypsies a protected class to the extent that failure to serve / hire / sell or rent real estate to / transact business with Gypsies would open them up to lawsuits
Just FYI, that law does exist and has existed in the US for many decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies