Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times

Advertisements

Hey txdave35, you never did explain why gay people should have unions and not marriages. More specifically, since you feel Christianity is the superior religion, I want to know your thoughts on straight atheists being married, Jewish folks being married, Muslims being married, etc. They aren't Christians, yet they get married. Should they only have unions as well?

You also never did accept my challenge of finding real people in states that allow same sex marriage to find out how same-sex marriage has effected them negatively. I'd love to hear from someone in Massachusetts, California, New York, etc. as to how the legalization of same-sex marriage has personally had a negative impact on him or her.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 PM

688 posts, read 652,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Hey txdave35, you never did explain why gay people should have unions and not marriages. More specifically, since you feel Christianity is the superior religion, I want to know your thoughts on straight atheists being married, Jewish folks being married, Muslims being married, etc. They aren't Christians, yet they get married. Should they only have unions as well?

You also never did accept my challenge of finding real people in states that allow same sex marriage to find out how same-sex marriage has effected them negatively. I'd love to hear from someone in Massachusetts, California, New York, etc. as to how the legalization of same-sex marriage has personally had a negative impact on him or her.
My guess is that your names say it all. You're presumably "Young Abe," and he's "Old Guy from Texas Named Dave." Also, presumably, he got his childhood education in Texas... Texas doesn't exactly hide their poor science and critical thinking curriculum.

Last edited by CDJD; 09-25-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
My guess is that your names say it all. You're presumably "Young Abe," and he's "Old guy from Texas named Dave." Also, presumably, he got his childhood education in Texas... Texas doesn't exactly hide their poor science and critical thinking curriculum.
Hey! I got my early education in Texas. I think it made me more open to critical thinking. At least I try.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM

511 posts, read 799,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
Of course. If you don't believe in gay marriage due to your religion, great, that's your thing. The moment you step into a voting booth and vote to push your beliefs on the general population, you become a bigot. Period.
I can say the same thing about people who support gay marriage. You are pushing YOUR belief on the general population. The intolerance and even downright hatred shown towards Christians means you are a bigot.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 AM

511 posts, read 799,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post

Marriage is a religious institution. Without a union being honored before God, what is the difference between marriage and a civil union? It is just a word. Why is it so freaking important to you to force us to change the definition of marriage? I could refer to my married spouse as my partner, and you can do the same with a civil union. No difference in equality. And when you bring it into a house of God, that is a great offense to God. The religious difference between SSM and a couple that have been divorced or an unwed mother is a SSM is with SSM you are demonstrating a commitment before God in HIS house that you intend to continue living in sin.

As for your challenge, are you kidding me? I gave you the example of Craig James, but instead of being able to admit that yes, this issue does and IS affecting people negatively, you try to find some legalistic loophole to get around the fact that this man lost his job because of his beliefs.

Since, no surprise, SSM is supported in the most liberal least religious states in the country, I would be hard pressed to find someone who has religious convictions about it in those regions.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Marriage is a religious institution. Without a union being honored before God, what is the difference between marriage and a civil union? It is just a word. Why is it so freaking important to you to force us to change the definition of marriage? I could refer to my married spouse as my partner, and you can do the same with a civil union. No difference in equality. And when you bring it into a house of God, that is a great offense to God. The religious difference between SSM and a couple that have been divorced or an unwed mother is a SSM is with SSM you are demonstrating a commitment before God in HIS house that you intend to continue living in sin.

As for your challenge, are you kidding me? I gave you the example of Craig James, but instead of being able to admit that yes, this issue does and IS affecting people negatively, you try to find some legalistic loophole to get around the fact that this man lost his job because of his beliefs.

Since, no surprise, SSM is supported in the most liberal least religious states in the country, I would be hard pressed to find someone who has religious convictions about it in those regions.
Wrong dude, marriage is not a religious institution, it is a civil marriage contract. Your marriage in a church is not valid in court without a marriage licence, but a civil marriage without the church involved is legal. Why is it so important to you that a union of two people of the same sex is not called marriage? Your marriage between you and your wife is still the same. And this baloney about civil unions is just that, BALONEY, all states that ban same sex marriage, also ban civil unions and the federal government does not recongnize civil unions. Remember this, your god does not decide law for everyone, your bible is not the rule of this country, nor is your church. Your beliefs are your beliefs, your god is your god. Stop shoving it on everyone.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

You also never did accept my challenge of finding real people in states that
allow same sex marriage to find out how same-sex marriage has effected them
negatively. I'd love to hear from someone in Massachusetts, California, New
York, etc. as to how the legalization of same-sex marriage has personally had a
negative impact on him or her.
Well, we've had SSM up here for quite some time, and I've never heard anyone complain that it affected them negatively. People just kept going about their business.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Marriage is a religious institution. Without a union being honored before God,
what is the difference between marriage and a civil union? It is just a word.
Why is it so freaking important to you to force us to change the definition of
marriage? I could refer to my married spouse as my partner, and you can do the
same with a civil union. No difference in equality. And when you bring it
into a house of God, that is a great offense to God. The religious difference
between SSM and a couple that have been divorced or an unwed mother is a SSM is
with SSM you are demonstrating a commitment before God in HIS house that you
intend to continue living in sin.
There's matrimony and holy matrimony. They're still both called marriage.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 AM

288 posts, read 349,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize Fox is a private company and not bound by the 1st Amendment right? If one of their employee's does/says something that makes them look bad, they have ever right to fire them.

Are you under the ridiculous impression your actions have absolutely no consequences just because you think your beliefs are superior to everyone else's?

Let's hear you say you wouldn't be throwing a hissy fit if the guy had been fired for supporting gay marriage. If you don't say it you're a hypocrite and if you do say it, I call bullsh*t.

If 2 people want to live life being nasty, be nasty in the closet where it should've stayed all along.

Tb

Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Which does absolutely NOTHING to support your argument that being against gay marriage does not have any negative impact. People lost their jobs and businesses because they wanted to KEEP their values.
It's kind of sad that the 'values' they want to KEEP are willful ignorance, dishonest cherry-picking of the Bible, hypocrisy, bigotry, prejudice and discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies