Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Cloning?

Adopted parents - male and female, or one or the other - are absolutely real families.

I'm afraid you lost me on this one. Is this a trick question or some new arrangement not previously discussed?

It attempts to normalize the acceptability of "mom-mom" or "dad-dad" parentages where the "parents" are in a same sex relationship, and thus promote that such relationships are in every way (or any way) equivalent to a male-female based family, which may contrast with the morals (religious or non-religious) being taught at home. One parent? Sure. I came from such, Grandparents as substitute parents? Absolutely. Mine raised me.

I don't see any need to include anything about same-sex relationships in any lesson taught in schools. The only possible goal is to socialize children in a way of thinking that many, if not most, parents find objectionable. This is a subject for (real) parents at home to teach, not school teachers acting at the direction of the government.

I'm so thankful for private schools. A good one is expensive, but truly worth every penny invested.
The schools need to find a way to deal with same gender relationships and families that don't disadvantage the children of those families. It should not be the business of government to disparage a child's family. If you can't or won't treat all children and their families as deserving equal respect then perhaps you should isolate yourself in private schools.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I certainly hope we aren't worried about unwanted pregnancies in 5 year olds.
I know girls are developing at younger ages but 5 ?
Of course not. But the sooner kids learn about sex, the better. Kids should grow up knowing sex is a normal, healthy part of adult life. If you wait too long to teach them about sex, they end up learning about it on the playground and in the streets instead. And that's the worst thing that can happen.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The schools need to find a way to deal with same gender relationships and families that don't disadvantage the children of those families. It should not be the business of government to disparage a child's family. If you can't or won't treat all children and their families as deserving equal respect then perhaps you should isolate yourself in private schools.
Then don't address the issue in any way. Not mentioning it would avoid any disparagement or approval. You want the opposite, the endorsing of such arrangements. I'd choose the path of "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all" - the neutral ground.

I never believed in the "everyone gets a prize" mentality.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
I agree with you. Teaching about protection from molestation is not necessarily sex education though. Sex education for 5 year olds is out of line. Hopefully the parents are being provided with information as to what is going to be taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The vast majority of child sexual abuse is by someone in their own family.

Hopefully more children will speak up about being sexually molested by someone in their own family, because they will know it's 'bad touch' and that they need to tell someone.

Have a problem with that?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
again ... this is why I have my child in a private school.
Of course all the libs are going to rally around this as good policy because after all it came from the lips of Obama the great.
I didn't even know or understand sex when I was in kindergarten. Children that age are not emotionally mature yet to understand sex and its consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama: Sex Ed for Kindergartners
Sex Ed for Kindergarteners ‘Right Thing to Do,’ Says Obama - ABC News

(CNSNews.com) - The Chicago Public Schools this year are mandating that the district’s kindergarten classes include sex education, fulfilling a proposal President Barack Obama supported in 2003 when he served in the Illinois state senate and later defended when he ran for president in the 2008 election cycle.

Do we really need government bureaucrats deciding all of this, just because they have confiscated out money in taxes? this is why parents need to get involved at the local and state school board level. but I would not put it past the Obama admin to try and make this a compulsory law across the nation.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 AM

propaganda you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Why does the right wing have such a problem with education?

Besides, this is OLD.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Of course all the libs are going to rally around this as good policy because after all it came from the lips of Obama the great.
I didn't even know or understand sex when I was in kindergarten. Children that age are not emotionally mature yet to understand sex and its consequences.
What policy? if you had read the article, you surely would have remembered where the president stated that...this decision should be left to communities and districts to develop and implement...Do you mean that policy?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Why not let the decision be left to the parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What policy? if you had read the article, you surely would have remembered where the president stated that...this decision should be left to communities and districts to develop and implement...Do you mean that policy?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
It's just basic biology. What's wrong with basic biology? Kids can indeed understand basic biology.

If you have specific values regarding when to have or to not have sex then teach that. There's nothing stopping you.

But there's no reason basic biology shouldn't be taught in school. To leave out such a major part of a child's education makes it conspicuous in it's absence.

The more knowledge, the less gravitating to the taboo in later years. It should be common knowledge and matter of fact.

Teaching basic biology does not imply a value judgment.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Why not let the decision be left to the parents?
It is, parents can opt out if they so choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies