Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This obsession with sex that America has is not healthy.
Politically, economically, financially and socially the top issues are sex related.
How is it an obsession with sex to teach kids stranger/danger and good touch bad touch, or to teach them basic science? Like I said earlier, I grew up on a ranch, just like YOUR grandparents probably did, and I knew 10 time more about reproduction by the time I went to school than this curriculum covers. It was just part of nature and life. I didn't grow up to be promiscuous or obsessed with sex and neither did anyone around me. On the other hand, I think there's something pretty sick and twisted about calling basic anatomy and very basic information about reproduction (all living things reproduce ) an obsession with sex. Good touch bad touch is talked about without ever referencing sex--just that the parts of your body under your swimsuit are private, and that if someone touches you there (except the doctor or your parents, to do things like put on medicine, etc.) that you should tell a safe adult.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why do you keep thinking this is a new thing? I'm surprised this is such a big deal, because good touch/bad touch became part of health in the elementary schools my kids have been in since around 2000, right along with looking both ways before you cross the street, and stranger danger. Basic biology is part of any school science curriculum. If you've sent your child to school, and they don't know the proper name for their penis, then something's wrong with you as a parent. It's ANATOMY. Religion and values are something that ABSOLUTELY should be taught at home by parents, but science or public safety? If you think those belong outside of the realm of public schools, then you need to home school or put your kids in a private school. Then they can learn THIS.
4th-Grade 'Science Test' Goes Viral: Creationism Quiz Claims Dinosaurs Lived With People (PHOTO)
It is a new thing as it's starting in kindergarten now.
So you are saying that parents are not capable anymore and the state must take it over ?

Trying to recall when my son was 5..he didn't say penis and neither did his friends.
But that was back in the 90's and saying "weiner" was acceptable then.
I didn't know that using the biological names for body parts is the only acceptable way to describe them these days.

And I have not commented here as to whether I think this is a good thing or bad thing.
I think it's a personal decision by parents. I do think the school has a duty though to inform the parents and provide them with the option. Parents should not be finding this out after the fact or left to find out that they can opt out on their own.

Schools need to at least be up front in what they are doing.
Send a letter home first week of school explaining what is going to happen along with a slip saying yes or no.
The issue is that everything today defaults to "you're going to get it unless you opt out" and they don't inform you that you can opt out.

Opting out rather than opting is how it works today.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
Quote:
What changed that the overwhelming sentiment is that parents can no longer do that and it is now the responsibility of the government ?

Why are parents seen as not competent anymore ?

Rather than wait 5 years and teach the kids, why doesn't government have some type of parent education at the hospital before letting parents take their babies home ?

Isn't the better route educating parents to be competent parents ?
You don't break the cycle of ignorance by taking over what the parents are supposed to do.
That just leads to more dependence on the state to do what parents should be doing.

I see that directly with the free lunch that turned into free breakfast program at school.
It was supposed to be for kids that didn't get fed at home before school.
Now parents don't feed their kids at home because school does.
Nobody is stopping parents from talking to their children about sex but sex education is part of education which is something that the government is responsible for hence the public education system. What makes sex education so special that it should be considered different from any other part of science or health education?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Nobody is stopping parents from talking to their children about sex but sex education is part of education which is something that the government is responsible for hence the public education system. What makes sex education so special that it should be considered different from any other part of science or health education?
Sex ed started in middle school.
Now it's been moved to kindergarten.

That seems to be the issue.

Are parents not telling their 5 year olds "Don't touch me here" ?

I guess with no more social institutions the public school has to pick up the slack.

I'm not for it and I'm not against it.
But I think the schools need to be very upfront and inform parents exactly what they are doing.

The last 2 years my son was in the K-12 system the school pulled a few quick ones that they had no right doing.
I went to the Principal about it and all I got was apologies. And they know that most parents don't know and don't care what goes on.

Quote:
So you are saying that parents are not capable anymore and the state must take it over ?

Trying to recall when my son was 5..he didn't say penis and neither did his friends.
I didn't know that using the biological names for body parts is the only acceptable way to describe them these days.

And I have not commented here as to whether I think this is a good thing or bad thing.
I think it's a personal decision by parents. I do think the school has a duty though to inform the parents and provide them with the option. Parents should not be finding this out after the fact or left to find out that they can opt out on their own.

Send a letter home first week of school explaining what is going to happen along with a slip saying yes or no.
The issue is that everything today defaults to "you're going to get it unless you opt out" and they don't inform you that you can opt out.

It is NOT new, except perhaps that it's part of a standardized curriculum now. My kids learned good touch bad touch in the early 2000s at school.

What's wrong with knowing the proper names for body parts? If you can't even say the word "penis" without being embarrassed, or teach your child that word, then somethings wrong with YOU, and your child grows up thinking that something's so wrong with those body parts that you can't even use their real name. It's ridiculous. It's basic biology. I'm considerably older than you, and when I was growing up, some girls started their periods and had no idea what was going on--it was terrifying for them. That should never happen. Even back then, in my tiny rural school, we had health class in the 5th grade that explained periods to girls, and the boys had a class at the same time about male puberty issues. That was in the 1960s. Most girls already understood the information, but some didn't, because their mothers were too embarrassed to explain it to them. It's stupid.

The truth is that people develop obsessions because a subject is taboo. If you deal with those subjects in in a matter of fact way, then it becomes no big deal. If adults treat information like it's something dirty, then kids become even MORE curious--it becomes forbidden knowledge, and that's where obsessions start.

And again--the guidelines clearly state that parents can opt their kids out of that section, just like they've always been able to opt out of the portions of health class dealing with reproduction at an older age.

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
This obsession with sex that America has is not healthy.
Politically, economically, financially and socially the top issues are sex related.
Ah yes, we should ignore everything involving sex at all times except when we rub our no no parts together in the dark to make babies only, no other time.

Seriously, why do you live in this all or nothing fantasy world? Having a child learn about good touching and bad touching at school doesn't mean they can't learn it from their parents as well. All the school is doing is making sure every child learns the same thing just in case you have parents like you that seem to have a phobia of sex and anything to do with sex.

Which oddly enough, I bet you enjoy guns and a good violent action movie.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:

They're not teaching the same information to kindergarteners that they're teaching to 5th graders.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:

Sex ed should be taught throughout the education system, not just once in 7th grade. Seriously, what is the deal with your phobia of sex and biology? Penis and vagina are medical terms, there is nothing taboo or sexual about knowing those two words and the difference between them.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
Quote:

I guess with no more social institutions the public school has to pick up the slack.

I'm not for it and I'm not against it.
But I think the schools need to be very upfront and inform parents exactly what they are doing.

Some parents don't teach their 5 year olds "don't touch me here" and sometimes its even the parents themselves that are doing the touching so teaching children about this as soon as they start school helps protect those children.

Schools should be upfront of course, are parents not informed beforehand? I don't agree with parents being able to opt-out though but I doubt that will change.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM

13,252 posts, read 9,874,329 times
Quote:

Who's saying that? You can call it whatever you like. But it's a penis. What's wrong with kids knowing that their weiner is actually called a penis? Why is that so taboo that they can't learn it in school?

I honestly don't understand this. A penis is a penis whether parents choose to "teach" their kids that or not. Calling it something else and opting out of a class that teaches the proper term doesn't change that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.