Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,736,093 times

Advertisements

Said another way, just where should African Americans be today, given that for over 300 years, they were oppressed in this nation? Do you think they have underperformed in their rise from oppression? I ask because there seem to be this implicit assumption that others have "been there and done that", in regards to what blacks have experienced, yet, they have moved to equality by now. If one does not imply that, then usually what is implied is that somehow where blacks are as a people, should be much better.....but based upon what criteria? Who has established the benchmark for comparison and is the situation the same in degree and or kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,804,974 times
I've updated this chart with data from the years up to 2011 (the latest date for which data is available). And now I can't find the updated version.

I'll put it up toot sweet. But for now:

Old 08-30-2013, 01:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,932,378 times
it is finally time that blacks have moved to equality, they should have done it years ago, but they have held themselves back by their attitude and subculture of "fighting the man", and going against "the white mans law"(a term they stole from the american indians by the way). its not that blacks are not capable, in fact they are just as capable as anyone else, its that they just dont want to succeed.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:40 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,804,974 times
Updated Chart:

Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,736,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it is finally time that blacks have moved to equality, they should have done it years ago, but they have held themselves back by their attitude and subculture of "fighting the man", and going against "the white mans law"(a term they stole from the american indians by the way). its not that blacks are not capable, in fact they are just as capable as anyone else, its that they just dont want to succeed.
But is not "fighting the man" a buy product of actually "fighting the man"? Would not ANY human group have that as a legacy impact of years of struggle? Was not the culture shaped and molded by the experiences with oppression? If culture is a learned behavior which is observed then emulated in ones environment, and if whites have the cultural template that is the "Standard", then what role did segregation and whites aversion to live in black communities (white flight) play in creating a black subculture? Would it not be true that if any group was segregated from the "standard" dominant culture that a subculture would develop. Why is that abnormal given the history of this nation?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But is not "fighting the man" a buy product of actually "fighting the man"? Would not ANY human group have that as a legacy impact of years of struggle? Was not the culture shaped and molded by the experiences with oppression? If culture is a learned behavior which is observed then emulated in ones environment, and if whites have the cultural template that is the "Standard", then what role did segregation and whites aversion to live in black communities (white flight) play in creating a black subculture? Would it not be true that if any group was segregated from the "standard" dominant culture that a subculture would develop. Why is that abnormal given the history of this nation?
my issue isnt the struggle, in fact it should have been good for the black community, instead it has become an anchor. the black community should have risen above the struggle by now, and be a shinning example of what oppressed people around the world can accomplish given the right attitude, and proper effort. instead we have a voting block that votes for the promise of free stuff, not freedom. and dont forget that after the civil war, the armed forces in this country were in fact integrated, until woodrow wilson won the presidency, after that it took until 1948 for them to be reintegrated again. granted wilson was an openly racist president, but the damage was done there as well. and then we got the welfare state. welfare was originally set up as a hand up after you got knocked down in life. it was a temporary thing. but it has been made permanent by the powers that be because they want the people dependent on big government, and the poor in general, and minorities in particular, are eating it up.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,245,102 times
On study says an incredible 72% of black children are raised in a single parent household vs. 25% for the US as a whole.

72% Of Black Kids Raised In Single Parent Household, 25 Percent In U.S. | News One

Another says more than half of black children are in a household with one parent. This same article says in 1960 only 20% of black children lived in a single parent household.

The (Poor) State of Black Families: A Portrait of Black America Before the 2010 Census

I do not believe the "oppression" of blacks the OP talks about is worse today than it was in 1960. Black income is up. Blacks attending college is up. Legal discrimination is gone. We have a black President.

So why is the black family breaking down?

I can't answer the OP's question. I think black people should be doing better today than they are. I don't think oppression is the explanation.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,589,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my issue isnt the struggle, in fact it should have been good for the black community, instead it has become an anchor. the black community should have risen above the struggle by now, and be a shinning example of what oppressed people around the world can accomplish given the right attitude, and proper effort. instead we have a voting block that votes for the promise of free stuff, not freedom. and dont forget that after the civil war, the armed forces in this country were in fact integrated, until woodrow wilson won the presidency, after that it took until 1948 for them to be reintegrated again. granted wilson was an openly racist president, but the damage was done there as well. and then we got the welfare state. welfare was originally set up as a hand up after you got knocked down in life. it was a temporary thing. but it has been made permanent by the powers that be because they want the people dependent on big government, and the poor in general, and minorities in particular, are eating it up.
You are so full of it's incredible! Here is a "struggle" black people can't overcome! They are "BLACK"! In case you haven't noticed racial discrimination still exists in the US! As for "welfare" the vast majority of people who are on it happen to be "white" by sheer numbers!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,589,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
On study says an incredible 72% of black children are raised in a single parent household vs. 25% for the US as a whole.

72% Of Black Kids Raised In Single Parent Household, 25 Percent In U.S. | News One

Another says more than half of black children are in a household with one parent. This same article says in 1960 only 20% of black children lived in a single parent household.

The (Poor) State of Black Families: A Portrait of Black America Before the 2010 Census

I do not believe the "oppression" of blacks the OP talks about is worse today than it was in 1960. Black income is up. Blacks attending college is up. Legal discrimination is gone. We have a black President.

So why is the black family breaking down?

I can't answer the OP's question. I think black people should be doing better today than they are. I don't think oppression is the explanation.
Who says it's only the "black" families breaking down when we have a 50% Divorce rate in the US? Or do you just assume that it's only blacks who are getting divorced?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You are so full of it's incredible! Here is a "struggle" black people can't overcome! They are "BLACK"! In case you haven't noticed racial discrimination still exists in the US! As for "welfare" the vast majority of people who are on it happen to be "white" by sheer numbers!
ok, how many times do i have to say it, I RECOGNIZE THAT RACIAL DISCRIMINATION EXISTS IN THIS COUNTRY. in fact had you bothered to READ the things i wrote in the various racial threads, you would have known that. what i am saying though is that minorities need to rise above the discrimination, instead of using it as a crutch for failure. and i recognize that welfare inst limited to the black community, but welfare has destroyed the black community, and is destroying the white community. but look at the number, blacks have higher incidences of single parent homes than whites do, blacks have higher incidences of men fathering multiple children with multiple women than whites do. black have higher incidences of gang violence than whites do, in fact blacks are disproportionately represented in the prison system compared to whites. so what does that say to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies