Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'd settle for any 3 examples of how the federal government is impressively competent and capable at doing things. Can anyone provide them? I've never found anything they didn't damage badly.
Have you ever driven on an interstate highway? Flown on an airplane without wrecking into another one? Sent something through the postal system and it arrived at its destination? Confidently purchased anything with printed or minted cash? Synchronize your watch to the correct time? Did you die of food poisoning from your breakfast? Did that glass of water you drank have too many pollutants? Is the air you breath full of soot and noxious gasses? Called the police to report a crime? Did you attend purely private schools from kindergarten through College? Post anything on the Internet?

The federal government affects the most basic things in your life - things you've taken for granted, and probably have never spent too much time thinking about how they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Explain how the systems are superior to the US health care system.

Oh, and yes, forcing people to buy insurance is counterproductive and extremely stupid, for many, many reasons, however, it is being SOLD as "reforming health care", and it is an example of immense incompetence in action... which is why I asked the questions in the first place.

And lastly, I wholly disagree that the UK's system ( I haven't studied what Germany does) is anything but an absolute nightmare.

Personally, I know nothing about the UK's healthcare. I can only relate to my son's experience. He was a student there for a year and surprisingly got better care then he did in the US. I don't know about you but if I'm sick it could takes weeks to see my doc. By then I'm either dead or better. In the UK my son was seen within 2 days every single time.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nothing you can do to change Jan 1. And the start of Obamacare. No matter how hard you try, how much to attempt to belittle someone, no matter how much you might hate it.

None of that is relevant. Obamacare still starts.

And this thread is meaningless.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present for you, the ultimate reason why it should never exist. As our friend, who likes authoritarian and arbitrary governance that takes your decisions from you to benefit his agenda points out... Federal programs are the nearest thing to eternal life. No matter how stupid, no matter how wasteful, no matter how badly conceived or created or envisioned, it is nearly impossible to undo a federal intervention in your life.

Do you really want to manage your own health care? Do you believe that you deserve to make your own decisions, and that you are more competent in making decisions than our worthless louts in DC? Weichert demands you not. In fact, the more he or she can force up on you, the merrier. The fact that our federal government has become wastefully, wantonly, and detrimentally entrenched into every aspect of lives only pleases Weichert. Look at the gloating above.

The founders wrote the Constitution to prevent the Weicherts of the world from being able to do this crap to you. But, somehow, they convinced many of you that was an old fashioned idea... that modern age required corrupt, crooked, incompetent, and capricious politicians be in charge of everything and that you'll be so much better off for it.

Not a whit of Weichert's ideology is true, good, or anything but evil tyranny.

Read the gloating through again. Reminds you of tyrants of old, no?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Default You Obamacare supporters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Premiums subsidizing others.

Government taking from you is not "charity".

Turns out the young & healthy are not liking it much especially.
Premiums subsidizing others is the actual DEFINITION of "insurance." It's true about auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, and life insurance. Premiums you pay into the pool go to help those who need it, on the assumption that some day it will be your turn. Since you've been paying your premiums all along, when you need help you are therefore entitled to it.

The healthcare insurance model is different, and there are loads of reasons why it's failed. One HUGE issue is that even people who don't pay premiums still are entitled to emergency or charity care, and we all end up paying for it through higher medical costs.

Obamacare tries to address a few fundamental problems but it doesn't go far enough and may indeed, in the short term, result in higher premiums for some. But NOT ALL. There are several states where the premiums are predicted to drop rather quickly. More people in the pool does represent more risk, but it also means more premium. And the new premium-payers are likely to be younger and healthier, who won't represent as much risk as the older and sicker people do.

Over time, if EVERYONE is in the pool, things should level out and costs start to be more predictable and manageable. A robust individual market in places where people had only one or two choices in the past will change things for the better and start to untether health insurance from employment (as it should be). So changes are coming, and Obamacare is a start, a step in the right direction.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Have you ever driven on an interstate highway? Flown on an airplane without wrecking into another one? Sent something through the postal system and it arrived at its destination? Confidently purchased anything with printed or minted cash? Synchronize your watch to the correct time? Did you die of food poisoning from your breakfast? Did that glass of water you drank have too many pollutants? Is the air you breath full of soot and noxious gasses? Called the police to report a crime? Did you attend purely private schools from kindergarten through College? Post anything on the Internet?

The federal government affects the most basic things in your life - things you've taken for granted, and probably have never spent too much time thinking about how they work.
Yes. The interstate system sucks horribly.

As does everything else the fed does.

What's amazing, is that you bow and worship at the most hideously incompetent and corrupt idiots on the planet and thank them for thinking for you.

I am so less than impressed.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Husseincare is designed to collapse the HC system as we know it.......leading to a single-payer system of government healthcare.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Premiums subsidizing others is the actual DEFINITION of "insurance." It's true about auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, and life insurance. Premiums you pay into the pool go to help those who need it, on the assumption that some day it will be your turn. Since you've been paying your premiums all along, when you need help you are therefore entitled to it.

The healthcare insurance model is different, and there are loads of reasons why it's failed. Obamacare tries to address a few fundamental problems but it doesn't go far enough and may indeed, in the short term, result in higher premiums for some. But NOT ALL. There are several states where the premiums are predicted to drop rather quickly. More people in the pool does represent more risk, but it also means more premium. And the new premium-payers are likely to be younger and healthier, who won't represent as much risk as the older and sicker people do.

Over time, if EVERYONE is in the pool, things should level out and costs start to be more predictable and manageable. A robust individual market in places where people had only one or two choices in the past will change things for the better and start to untether health insurance from employment (as it should be). So changes are coming, and Obamacare is a start, a step in the right direction.

You should learn what insurance is.

Please write a 3 sentence definition of the concept of insurance.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Husseincare is designed to collapse the HC system as we know it.......leading to a single-payer system of government healthcare.
We can only hope.

What I don't get about the fear of single-payer is that it's not like the Government is going to actually be delivering the health CARE. It's just a single-payer system, not a single-provider system.

Sheesh.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present for you, the ultimate reason why it should never exist. As our friend, who likes authoritarian and arbitrary governance that takes your decisions from you to benefit his agenda points out... Federal programs are the nearest thing to eternal life. No matter how stupid, no matter how wasteful, no matter how badly conceived or created or envisioned, it is nearly impossible to undo a federal intervention in your life.

Do you really want to manage your own health care? Do you believe that you deserve to make your own decisions, and that you are more competent in making decisions than our worthless louts in DC? Weichert demands you not. In fact, the more he or she can force up on you, the merrier. The fact that our federal government has become wastefully, wantonly, and detrimentally entrenched into every aspect of lives only pleases Weichert. Look at the gloating above.

The founders wrote the Constitution to prevent the Weicherts of the world from being able to do this crap to you. But, somehow, they convinced many of you that was an old fashioned idea... that modern age required corrupt, crooked, incompetent, and capricious politicians be in charge of everything and that you'll be so much better off for it.

Not a whit of Weichert's ideology is true, good, or anything but evil tyranny.

Read the gloating through again. Reminds you of tyrants of old, no?
Well, I don't know about any of your bilge.

I spent more than 20 years in the Army insuring that we have fundamental rights. One of those being the right to good health.

I spent more than 7 years outside this country, doing things most people refused to do.

But thats me.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You should learn what insurance is.

Please write a 3 sentence definition of the concept of insurance.
Um, I did. Read the first paragraph again.

"Insurance involves pooling funds from many insured entities (known as exposures) to pay for the losses that some may incur. The insured entities are therefore protected from risk for a fee, with the fee being dependent upon the frequency and severity of the event occurring."

Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies