Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't see this as a Republican/Democrat thing. I think a lot of Americans from right across the political spectrum are against getting involved in Syria.
^^^^This. But there are people who want to make it a democrat v. republican situation.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's odd though most of my college professors had more convictions in their beliefs than Obama. Obama seems like someone who agrees with the last person he just met.
Obama sends his minions out into the public and watches reactions to his initial statements.

He did it with Rice, Clinton and now Kerry.

If they don't fly well then he "evolves".

Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001
I don't see this as a Republican/Democrat thing. I think a lot of Americans from right across the political spectrum are against getting involved in Syria.
I admit, I find myself struggling with this issue. On the one hand, like most of the posters here, I am against getting involved in another conflict. On the other hand, weapons of mass destruction were used on a civilian population. Do we turn our back on that atrocity and let it pass with no response?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I admit, I find myself struggling with this issue. On the one hand, like most of the posters here, I am against getting involved in another conflict. On the other hand, weapons of mass destruction were used on a civilian population. Do we turn our back on that atrocity and let it pass with no response?
Shouldn't we let the UN make that decision and then back up what the UN wants to do ?
The UN sent their inspectors and have gathered their evidence and will make reports.

What if it were the rebels that did this ?
Taking out Assad hands all that over to AQ as al-Nusra is the rebel group gaining all the power.

What has Assad stand to gain ? Invasion by European countries
What have the rebels stand to gain ? European countries taking out Assad and clearing the way for them to take over power.

Take a look at Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan and see who is running the countries now.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Shouldn't we let the UN make that decision and then back up what the UN wants to do ?
You would think so, but liberals blame Bush for actually believing the UN when the UN said Iraq had the materials for WMDs.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We can only hope that congress votes to mind our own business.
I'll go along with you on that one. I don't care how short Obama says a strike would be. of course there is always the possibility if congress says NO WAY, he will do it anyway.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — A Syrian state-run newspaper on Sunday called President Barack Obama's decision to seek congressional approval before taking military action against Bashar Assad's regime "the start of the historic American retreat."

The gloating tone in the front-page article in the Al-Thawra daily followed Obama's unexpected announcement on Saturday that he would ask Congress to support a strike punishing the Assad regime for allegedly unleashing chemical weapons on rebel-held suburbs of Damascus last week. The decision marked a stark turnabout for the White House, which had appeared on the verge of ordering U.S. forces to launch a missile attack against Syria.

"Whether the Congress gives the red or green light for an aggression, and whether the prospects of war have been enhanced or faded, President Obama has announced yesterday, by prevaricating or hinting, the start of the historic American retreat," Al-Thawra said.
Syrian state-run daily calls Obama move a retreat

Old 09-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You would think so, but liberals blame Bush for actually believing the UN when the UN said Iraq had the materials for WMDs.
Having the materials though is not the same as having them.

I'm sure all of us have the components to make bombs under our kitchen sink but that doesn't mean we are going to all make bombs does it ?

Iraq had a network of laboratories and a stash of components.
They still have that today.
AQ is making chemical weapons although they are still rudimentary and don't kill 100% of their targets.
Two labs run by AQ were just raided. AQ is using remote controlled helicopters to drop their chemical weapons on people.
The March 2013 chemical attack in Syria isn't in the headlines anymore.
Analysis was done. It was not sarin. There were no stabilizers in the mixture. They were crudely manufactured. Does that sound like the description of military grade weapons ?

Folks need to get off the pot and start reading foreign news reports because Americans who stick to US MSM sites are not getting the full story here.

The world's worst nightmare has come true..the terrorists have WMDs now and can make them.
Only governments are not ready to admit that yet.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Obama and his off the cuff remark led to this..Now congress who happens to be on vacation..this of course is making Obama look like a laughing stock to the world , as Obama backs off and waits for Congress to sip their last umbrella drink and go back to Washington .. no hurry yet they send out Kerry with the message , we must act, la la la....... the United States looks like a bad comedy act. Thank you Obama . Now go play golf.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Your military is the one bright light in this whole crap fest. Here they are steaming around in circles in the Med while keeping an eye on all of the other players. Some valuable intel can be garnered while this breather is lengthened out.

Assad has made a stupid move by resuming shelling instantly. He now has to again start moving his assets around taking them out of hiding if he wants to use them at all. The rebels should make some gains while he is thusly hampered bringing his "stuff" back into play.

That little "first step in the grand retreat of America" statement shows his need to play to his retarded neighbors. His currency has gained a bit but will be just as quickly squandered.
Along with that Syria has started setting up brigades and insurgents right along side of hospitals, schools and people's homes. If America attacks it's not going to be very effective bombing aspirin factories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies