Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Congress sends this letter to the president:

U.S. lawmakers demand Obama wait for Congress' approval prior attacking Syria

Obama respects these demands of congress and now congress is whining about it. Go figure!
or
People are a little concerned about our President drawing a line in the sand without any approval and then turning to Congress and asking them to make the call.
We still have not seen any proof that it was Assad who used the weapons. Even if he did how this our problem? Is it worth risking even 1 US serviceman's life? It isn't as though the rebels are any better than Assad.
I looked but I can't find it written anywhere that the United States is also the Worlds Police Force.

Last edited by tinman01; 09-01-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
The GOP led House is afraid to do anything. They just want Obama to take the fall. The GOP wanted Obama to come to congress for permission. Now, the GOP is peeing their pants because, for the first time, they have responsibility.

House GOP: Obama Must Get Congressional Authorization Before Taking Action in Syria
As a purported Constitutional "scholar" Obama [should] know Congressional authority is not necessary as per my previous post, regardless what some talking heads aver. Obama simply doesn't have the cojones. Every decision and action he takes is politically motivated. He is a paper tiger.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
As a purported Constitutional "scholar" Obama [should] know Congressional authority is not necessary as per my previous post, regardless what some talking heads aver. Obama simply doesn't have the cojones. Every decision and action he takes is politically motivated. He is a paper tiger.
You think you know more about the constitution than a constitutional scholar? Consider this:

Quote:
The Constitution and the War Powers Resolution say that absent an attack on the United States, Congress must approve military action before it takes place. There is a common misconception about the War Powers Resolution that it allows the President to do whatever he or she wants for 60 days. This confuses one provision of the War Powers Resolution with the whole. In section 2c, the War Powers Resolution affirms that:
The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/18...ional-approval

Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If you look closer at the poll's questions, you'll see a much closer split when Assad using chemical weapons and the U.S. using missiles not ground troops is in the question.

By the time Congress gets around to voting, public opinion will swing to support what the prez wants.
I don't think Americans want to go to war again, much less go it all alone.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't think Americans want to go to war again, much less go it all alone.
I agree. That is why a congressional vote is important to act as a voice for the American people.

BTW, has Israel pledged their support and help if we do attack Syria?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
You mean like these talking heads?

James Madison: “The Constitution expressly and exclusively vests in the Legislature the power of declaring a state of war and the power of raising armies.... A delegation of such powers to the President would have struck, not only at the fabric of our Constitution, but at the foundation of all well organized and well checked governments. The separation of the power of declaring war from that of conducting it, is wisely contrived to exclude the danger of its being declared for the sake of its being conducted.”

John Quincy Adams:
“America goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.... She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standards of freedom.”

Abraham Lincoln: “Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so, whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such purpose — and you allow him to make war at pleasure. The provision of the Constitution giving the war-making power to Congress was dictated, as I understand it, by the following reasons.… Kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars, pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was the object. This, our Convention understood to be the most oppressive of all Kingly oppressions; and they resolved so to frame the Constitution that no one man should hold the power of bringing the oppression upon us.”

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I agree. That is why a congressional vote is important to act as a voice for the American people.

BTW, has Israel pledged their support and help if we do attack Syria?
I don't know. Let Syria's neighbors worry about Syria. If they could care if they use gas weapons, or if the rebels use them, then why should we?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Well I think turkey and several others have backed the rebels otherwise they would not have arms at this point. You obvious have failed to pay much attention to who each is a proxy for in Syria conflict.as far as Israel they have sated they are ready for whatever decision US makes and left it at that. Also many who are against what Obama has announced are against it more because they see it has not being anything but a show with little effect other than a show. They advocate more of a real destruction of capability like in Libya.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't know. Let Syria's neighbors worry about Syria. If they could care if they use gas weapons, or if the rebels use them, then why should we?
Everyone is saying that America will look weak if we do nothing "when the red line was crossed." If Israel is not involved, I say, why are we?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well I think turkey and several others have backed the rebels otherwise they would not have arms at this point. You obvious have failed to pay much attention to who each is a proxy for in Syria conflict.as far as Israel they have sated they are ready for whatever decision US makes and left it at that.
In other words, Israel isn't really concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies