Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,290 times

Advertisements

No, it's the thought that "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

If you sit on your hands and let people die without doing anything when you can, you do bear some responsibility.

Sorry, but that is a fact of life. I think it destroys Americas credibility to let civilians get murdered because they don't like the man in office.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
It's about time that the Saudis or others in that region step up to the plate. It might be in the best interests of the Saudis to have stability in the Middle East -- so let them have their kids killed for this cause.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
No, it's the thought that "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

If you sit on your hands and let people die without doing anything when you can, you do bear some responsibility.

Sorry, but that is a fact of life.
We let the Muslims slaughter many Christians and animists in Africa. You certainly didn't shed a tear for those people.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We let the Muslims slaughter many Christians and animists in Africa. You certainly didn't shed a tear for those people.
Really? Where do I say that I shed no tears for people killed in religious violence?

Can you show me one instance of this, or are you just lying?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Really? Where is it in our constitution that we are the worlds police force. And where is the proof that It was Assad that used the weapons.
Rogue nations such as Russia and China? What makes them rogue besides the fact they disagree with us?
The UN is against a military option also. Is the UN rogue too? This is beginning to sound like they are all wrong and we are right argument.
Not our business and not worth 1 tax dollar.
Morale obligation? According to who? I think we have a morale obligation to take care of our own problems first.
The Arabs. They want something done and maybe it is time we let them clean their own back yard. I hate to sound cold hearted but really this is none of our business. let the locals deal with it.
I don't buy your argument that the Constitution doesn't lend to intervention in world matters. Using your philosophy, we should have never engaged in war in any part of the world at any time. Would you have not engaged in WWI? Would you have not engaged in WWII? What about the Gulf War? How do you hedge on the Constitution and reconcile that hedging with past successes in past wars? Would you have not engaged in those actions because our Constitution doesn't actually make us the "world police?"

The UN is irrelevant as in institution. We can all act like we have an obligation to be bound by its various annexes and policies, but at the end of the day, an irrelevant and ineffectual organization such as the UN should not be the ultimate arbiter of what is right and good in this world. The United States has long stepped up to fill the vacuum created by the UN, and in the case of banned weapon use on civilian populations, the United States above all has the moral obligation to see to it that the UN doesn't cower to "allies" such as China and Russia....whose only interests are economic.....in battling a rogue dictator such as Assad. That's what American Exceptionalism is all about. If you don't believe in it, then you should say so out loud and forthrightly.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:

Sorry, but that is a fact of life. I think it destroys Americas credibility to let civilians get murdered because they don't like the man in office.
Sure. And you said the exact same thing about Bush when he attacked Iraq, right? This isn't partisan at all. It's about doing the right thing.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't buy your argument that the Constitution doesn't lend to intervention in world matters. Using your philosophy, we should have never engaged in war in any part of the world at any time. Would you have not engaged in WWI? Would you have not engaged in WWII? What about the Gulf War? How do you hedge on the Constitution and reconcile that hedging with past successes in past wars? Would you have not engaged in those actions because our Constitution doesn't actually make us the "world police?"

The UN is irrelevant as in institution. We can all act like we have an obligation to be bound by its various annexes and policies, but at the end of the day, an irrelevant and ineffectual organization such as the UN should not be the ultimate arbiter of what is right and good in this world. The United States has long stepped up to fill the vacuum created by the UN, and in the case of banned weapon use on civilian populations, the United States above all has the moral obligation to see to it that the UN doesn't cower to "allies" such as China and Russia....whose only interests are economic.....in battling a rogue dictator such as Assad. That's what American Exceptionalism is all about. If you don't believe in it, then you should say so out loud and forthrightly.
Iran stormed our embassy and held the staff hostage for over a year. Iran denied the holocaust. Iran outlawed internet use and peaceful protest. Iran hangs homosexuals and stones women. Iran trains and funds known terrorists.

And the UN put Iran on its human rights council.

At that point the UN lost whatever limited credibility it might once have had.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sure. And you said the exact same thing about Bush when he attacked Iraq, right? This isn't partisan at all. It's about doing the right thing.
I did support action Iraq, and I still do, but I think the way it happened was wrong. Invading under false pretenses against international law was not the way to go. Endorsing action doesn't mean endorsing any action, that would be crazy. I endorse action in Syria to help civilians, but I wouldn't endorse actions like nuking it or carpet bombing the country.

If you can find something where I said differently I would like to see it. Thank you for trying to poison the well.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I did support action Iraq, and I still do, but I think the way it happened was wrong. Invading under false pretenses against international law was not the way to go. Endorsing action doesn't mean endorsing any action, that would be crazy. I endorse action in Syria to help civilians, but I wouldn't endorse actions like nuking it or carpet bombing the country.

If you can find something where I said differently I would like to see it. Thank you for trying to poison the well.
How does bombing their nation help the children? But yeah --- that "It's for the children" works each and every time.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM

At any rate --- Obama has not yet explained what our goals would be in bombing the hell out of Syria. So we bomb them, kill enough civilians to get at Assad, bring him down, and then what?

Do we then bomb the barbarious rebels to get them under our control? Or do we allow them to go on cutting out hearts and eating them? Or do we just leave them in anarchy after we take down their government because we don't like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies