Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
One can only hope the House holds firm with a no vote.
In regards to your earlier vote. Who defines what is evil? How much of the evil in the world today are we at least a party too?.
Our conscience defines evil. Using poison gas to murder civilian is evil. It was evil when Hitler did it, it was evil when Saddam did it and its evil when Assad did it. Collateral caualties in combat are bad, but using poison gas against citilians is worse. I think most people will agree with that, but whether or not they want to commit US armed forces to stop it is another story.

The Bible teaches that even Godless hethens have the law written in their hearts. Everyone knows good from evil.

What does is say to the tyrants of the world when they realize even US will not stand up to use of WMDs anymore?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Our conscience defines evil. Using poison gas to murder civilian is evil. It was evil when Hitler did it, it was evil when Saddam did it and its evil when Assad did it. Collateral caualties in combat are bad, but using poison gas against citilians is worse. I think most people will agree with that, but whether or not they want to commit US armed forces to stop it is another story.

The Bible teaches that even Godless hethens have the law written in their hearts. Everyone knows good from evil.

What does is say to the tyrants of the world when they realize even US will not stand up to use of WMDs anymore?
Says you.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Says you.
Yes, my conscience says gas chambers were a bigger evil than the civilian worker who died when we bombed the German factories. Your heart might tell you something else, but that's your heart, so I won't try to explain it.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Yes, my conscience says gas chambers were a bigger evil than the civilian worker who died when we bombed the German factories. Your heart might tell you something else, but that's your heart, so I won't try to explain it.
What of the civilian workers family that were killed?
Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Your argument is full of inconsistencies and hypocrisies.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What of the civilian workers family that were killed?
Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Your argument is full of inconsistencies and hypocrisies.
You are trying to use this as an opportunity to accuse the United States of being be biggest evil in the history books, but I won't play your game. If you think US was more evil that Hitler then so be it. I disagree.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I have seen no evidence that Assad was responsible for the chemical weapons attack. How can you trust a government that lied about Iraq and spies on its citizens without cause? It is our duty as Americans to look at the alleged "facts" with scrutiny, particularly when American lives and resources will be put on the line. You can't tell me there won't be blowback from a bombing campaign in Syria.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I have seen no evidence that Assad was responsible for the chemical weapons attack. How can you trust a government that lied about Iraq and spies on its citizens without cause? It is our duty as Americans to look at the alleged "facts" with scrutiny, particularly when American lives and resources will be put on the line. You can't tell me there won't be blowback from a bombing campaign in Syria.
There will be a blowback either way. The question is which blowback is worse, the one stemming from doing it, or the one stemming from not doing it. That's the choice, and it's not an easy one. I personally don't know if it is 100% right thing to pull the trigger, which is why its good there is debate over in in Congress, because they will see evidence we will never see. Unfortunately the partisan Congress might deliver a verdict which may not be in best interests of the US.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
There will be a blowback either way. The question is which blowback is worse, the one stemming from doing it, or the one stemming from not doing it. That's the choice, and it's not an easy one. I personally don't know if it is 100% right thing to pull the trigger, which is why its good there is debate over in in Congress, because they will see evidence we will never see. Unfortunately the partisan Congress might deliver a verdict which may not be in best interests of the US.
Don't worry. The same flashing lights and movies every new president sees they're watching and being bedazzled by right now.

The U.S. doesn't have a choice. It needs to cover the the entire area surrounding Iran with friends in both low and high places and that doesn't just mean "boots on the ground." C. Eurasia is the mid-term goal with the long term goal being a line in the sand, access to resources in C. Eurasia and Siberia, China and Russia held at bay, unfettered access to Africa and the petrodollar still largely being used for trade and investment.

Any of those things don't go well and we all get to wear duntz caps.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I love how much of the left is not protesting this like they did Iraq. Imagine Bush wanted to attack Syria? I mean, I hated Bush more than any other president, but I must admit that many of these so-called liberals are complete hypocrites.
Bush was more honest when he said we're "protecting your way of life."

Liberals can't even be honest with themselves much less everyone else.

Liberals don't get elected by telling the truth, they get elected by playing on people's abject fears, poverty and desires. Those aren't congruent with also taking all those things by force while the rest of the world works for you. So liberals get stuck in this conundrum of wanting to give everything under the sun to keep getting elected and having no way to pay for it all.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Bush was more honest when he said we're "protecting your way of life."
Claiming that we invaded Iraq to protect our way of life was an honest statement......??? LOL I love sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies