Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Let's remember the dream by closing the wealth gap

TRANSLATION: I've found yet another excuse to steal whatever people have that's worth stealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Let's remember the dream by closing the wealth gap

TRANSLATION: I've found yet another excuse to steal whatever people have that's worth stealing.
Exactly. Liberalese for looting from the productive.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People need to stepup and correct the educational lag we se I our schools for last few decades. The dropout rate and lowering of standards needs to go. Neither government or throwing money at it has or will work ;its up to people. Without that the income gap will just continue to grow.
We've threw money at this for years and what did we get in return for our investment. High crime, single mothers with multiple kids, deadbeat dads and blacks who still think Americans owe them. No more throwing money at it, it was tried, no more whining, now it's their turn to help themselves.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Income inequality ( regardless of race) is the norm. Middle class is primarily a manufactured state and requires laws/ subsidies to sustain it. Competition and technology have been whittling away at the middle class for decades. 2000-2010 is viewed as the lost decade.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Okay, so we take more money from the rich, that's totally doable. But how do we get those perpetually stuck in the safety nets back into a productive existence? There's many variables to this problem.

That was the intent of the 1996 Welfare Reform and Employment Act. Specifically, to continue to be eligible for TANF, one had to be employed at least 20 hours a week. I recently read in the CATO Report that about 80% of those on TANF and employed were working jobs subsidized by federal or state government. There simply are not enough jobs and there have not been for a long, long time. They don't call 2000-2010 the lost decade for nothing.

I just watched the documentary Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream

I appreciated that it tried to be bipartisan, but didn't focus enough on Chuck Schumer shelving the tax reform bill which would have removed the carried interest loophole that the super-wealthy use to keep from paying their fair share. He said he'd do one thing, and then did another.
^ Shameful

Hedge fund managers often betting against the U.S. economy and/or their own client's best interests get a unique tax break. Obama wants to eliminate it and use the incremental revenue to pay down the debt.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
The wealthy already pay more than their fair share of taxes. People like you need to keep your eyes on your own money, and keep your avaricious and greedy paws out of the pockets of others.

The top 10 percent of taxpayers paid over 70% of the total amount collected in federal income taxes in 2010. That's up from 55% in 1986.
When the folks on the most wealthy lists pay a lower effective tax rate than I and tens of millions of others do, the system is broke.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm telling you what the IRS reports as the ACTUAL average effective federal income tax rates of each income group.

Hint: the top 1% is paying FAR MORE than 15%, while the middle class pays only 6.01%.
#2 wealthiest man in the U.S. paid and effective rate of 11%.

There's a huge gap between the masses at the lower end of the 1% club ( about $525K in annual income) and seriously wealthy people.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

I appreciated that it tried to be bipartisan, but didn't focus enough on Chuck Schumer shelving the tax reform bill which would have removed the carried interest loophole that the super-wealthy use to keep from paying their fair share. He said he'd do one thing, and then did another.
What is the precise percentage of one's income that is a "fair share"?

Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When the folks on the most wealthy lists pay a lower effective tax rate than I and tens of millions of others do, the system is broke.
Do you have any other tactic other than spreading envy and anger to rob the economy?

Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ Shameful

Hedge fund managers often betting against the U.S. economy and/or their own client's best interests get a unique tax break. Obama wants to eliminate it and use the incremental revenue to pay down the debt.
How will that happen?

You can confiscate ALL of every rich person's income and it won't balance the budget for any significant length of time.

Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies