U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:22 PM

1,903 posts, read 1,219,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are right about the electrical grid.

I believe private companies would love to upgrade the system, but the government regulations are a barrier.
It would never happen because of the expense, and can you imagine if people are complaining now about how high the electrical bill is how bad it would be if it were privatized ??? Also the best reason not to privatize it is because those who live in rural areas would have to generate there own electricity because lets face it a company is about profits and there is no profit in rural areas.

Quote:
For all of you complaining about my "city in decline" comment...

never mind - Detroit is just fine.
A bankrupt detroit still has more money than a healthy alabama
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 16,459,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It caused $10,000 in improvements.
lol demolition can be costly.Free demolition could be a gravy.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,564,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Barely lives there? Guess anything under 700K is non existent to you?
This is basically a non story because things like this have happened in any city and suburb and rural place in the country.
Yes, it happens all the time in major cities and I witnessed such an event firsthand years ago. It's just a freakin' gas leak in part of a huge infrastructure.
Of course it has "wow" appeal to closeted dittoheads because Limbaugh or someone similar decides to use the story in their rants against major cities.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...190538871.html
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/wat...sts-from-1981/
Quote:
For all of you complaining about my "city in decline" comment...
never mind - Detroit is just fine.
Even with its present problems Detroit still has umpteen times the culture of jerkwater American outposts. Educate us about the superiority of your own town so we know whom to emulate and why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
It would never happen because of the expense, and can you imagine if people are complaining now about how high the electrical bill is how bad it would be if it were privatized ??? Also the best reason not to privatize it is because those who live in rural areas would have to generate there own electricity because lets face it a company is about profits and there is no profit in rural areas.
A bankrupt detroit still has more money than a healthy alabama
What rightwing dittoheads don't realize is that city government is not the business community, and other major cities in similar straits are suddenly taking notice and re-evaluating their own practices.
And as I said, Detroit still has plenty of culture and influence intact .

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-31-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM

25,626 posts, read 34,739,321 times
DAMN Canada got busy quick.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 PM

41,639 posts, read 22,836,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Even with its present problems Detroit still has umpteen times the culture of jerkwater American outposts. Educate us about the superiority of your own town so we know whom to emulate and why.

What rightwing dittoheads don't realize is that city government is not the business community, and other major cities in similar straits are suddenly taking notice and re-evaluating their own practices.
And as I said, Detroit still has plenty of culture and influence intact .
Having culture doesn't pay the bills. We work down here. Do what you want - just don't mess with anyone, we do have concealed carry.

I'm sure at some point Detroit will bounce back. They need to get rid of the corruption amongst leadership. And stop paying pensions - you can't continue to pay people to do nothing.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM

84 posts, read 78,102 times
Quote:
Underground explosion blows manhole covers into the air in downtown Detroit

DTE says the problem originated with a underground cable and the situation is ongoing. They are working to resolve the problem.

The scene is near the Rosa Parks Transit Center. Officials are asking people to avoid the area.

The blast launched manhole covers into the air in an alley in the area of Washington Boulevard and State Street. Windows in the alley were blown out by the explosion.

I am going to assume no foul play here. Just more evidence of a city in total decline.
I am totally shocked and surprised - I would have though the manhole covers would have been stolen long ago. Somebody is slacking off in mutter city.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM

3,126 posts, read 2,887,691 times
This thread is silly.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,564,977 times
Quote:
Having culture doesn't pay the bills. We work down here. Do what you want - just don't mess with anyone, we do have concealed carry.

I'm sure at some point Detroit will bounce back. They need to get rid of the corruption amongst leadership. And stop paying pensions - you can't continue to pay people to do nothing.
So that's all you got? Glad to find out what makes your town so much "better". Bet you never had a sewer explosion either. Must be a paradise.
Yeah, I'll take Detroit's future and its present-day warts any day. If y'all don't like or need culture - well that's you.
You have some civilized and sophisticated big cities down there which I refuse to bash. I truly don't know the big attraction for that unless it's one's own insecurity.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 AM

12,215 posts, read 16,017,932 times
This has happened in other cities, Cities that we have not sat back and watched die and fall into ruin. Sad seeing photos of the decline there.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,081,112 times
Quote:
this has nothing to do with the city in decline or being broke what this has to do with is infrastructure if money was spent on upgrading our electrical system this would not happen as often. Unfortunately we'd rather invest money in killing people and making our police force into "mini militaries".
Leftists always want to 'invest' my money. The only way to stop the looting is to stop letting the government have any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies