Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times

Advertisements

I don't want to be called African-American. In fact, I gave an entire speech about how inaccurate that label is, the main reasons being that it's geographically ambiguous (Africa is a continent with 50+ countries, each with very unique cultures and languages) and that it fails to account for the mix in the average black American's genealogy (70% west african, 20% european, 5% Chinese with nearly 13% variance).

It's mostly old timers who like the label "African-American," as it was created in the 80s to encourage solidarity and as an answer to identities like German-American and Irish-American. I think it's slowly fading out of favor, but the less educated among us will continue to cling to it since it's treated as the more politically correct term.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Is that how the term came into being? I didn't know that.

I just this minute got off the phone with a friend during which I conducted a non-scientific poll of one black American. I asked what her take was. She uses the term "black" and considers that, or African-American, both completely acceptable and interchangeable. She does not like "colored" or "negro" because they are outdated and somewhat derogatory, her words not mine.

She thinks the "n-word" is wrong no matter who uses it.

To embellish on my single data point, she is, like me, a 50-something woman.

For a couple of years I volunteered in a domestic-violence safe house where we were required to use the term "African American" on intake forms and when describing residents of applicants. Which I did; no skin off my nose either way, but I did note that the vast majority of black residents themselves simply used the word "black" when asked to describe their ethnicity, or that of their children/partners/abusers/family members etc.
To the best of what I've researched and from what I know, the answer is "yes." The title African-American evolved from a lack of respect as a people. Again, as soon as we were asked to be called that, and we asked all other races to identify us as African-American, more confusion has erupted from that name.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I don't want to be called African-American. In fact, I gave an entire speech about how inaccurate that label is, the main reasons being that it's geographically ambiguous (Africa is a continent with 50+ countries, each with very unique cultures and languages) and that it fails to account for the mix in the average black American's genealogy (70% west african, 20% european, 5% Chinese with nearly 13% variance).

It's mostly old timers who like the label "African-American," as it was created in the 80s to encourage solidarity and as an answer to identities like German-American and Irish-American. I think it's slowly fading out of favor, but the less educated among us will continue to cling to it since it's treated as the more politically correct term.
I think you need to continue your quest to educate and inform others how you feel. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Quote:
For the same reason that white-mutt Americans describe themselves as "German" or "Scottish" or "Italian" despite never having been to those countries or knowing anything much about them (and yes I know Africa is a continent, not a country), because it gives a sense of history or belonging?

Uh saying I am German (I'm not lol) is NOT the same as saying I'm German American.
African American is not the same as African.
Context is important.

Saying "I am German" when discussing immigration implies that you are from Germany.
Saying "I am German" when discussin ancestry does not imply that you are from Germany.
See how that works?
Unless you were born in Africa and moved here, you are not an African America nor are you African.
Your heritage is African, but you're not African.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
@High Fruit Vegan

"An African-American is an immigrant from Africa. Charlize Theron is White and an African-American."

THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IGNORANT FIRST YOURE WRONG

An African American is a person who is of African descent and ancestors were part of the slave trade. Thats what a A.A is!

Example: If a guy Tundae was born in COUNTRY Nigeria in Africa and wanted to become a American citizen, and legally he is an American Citizen he would be a NIGERIAN AMERICAN!! At the end of the day he knew where he came from.

An African American girl Stephanie (whos ancestors were taken as slaves back in the day) the girl was born in Chicago,Illinois , she doesnt know specifically where the hell she came from in Africa unlike the guy from Nigeria because he lived there.
She is an African American because she doesnt know specifically where in Africa she came from and her ancestors were part of the AST.

Its time to wake up from being brain washed and not spread ignorance
This is really the raw deal. I'm not sure of one African that came over willingly exploring long ago. They were bought, brought and sold. Never to be treated the same again, IMO> That said, it is common usage in America to lump and label large groups of people.
Asian Americans
European Americans
African Americans

All these people have specific origin. We just lump and bump. We attend all kinds of festivals relearning our history, how we got here, where we originated. I'm not sure why African Americans can't do the same without an issue. But I have a clue.

I was born in the U.S. but my parents were not. I am an Asian American, the fact that American is put behind Asian means I was born in the U.S. or I'd just be Asian. When you are born into a melting pot, it's natural to identify with your ancestors. If I were in Korea, I wouldn't call my self a Korean Korean. That would be silly. But if I were born in Korea and wasn't Korean I would identify more with my ancestors than my surroundings when identifying my looks.

This is unique to America, why not just embrace it.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You completely take me out of context.

The term came of age in the eighties. I was still in middle school/high school then. I, like the OP, felt that the term was inaccurate because technically, we are descendants of people that, inevitably, can be linked to Africa, but not first or second generation, like Charlize Theron. Plus we're American first, not African.

My other issue with the term is that everyone in America, except for Native Americans, have descendants that immigrated. So why do Blacks and Latinos have to preface the fact that they're American, and Caucasians/Whites, do not. Though many do, because of their pride in their European heritage, it is not expected.

Just tell me I'm Black. I am more interested in the diaspora, ie. Blacks around the World, wherever they're from, than I am focusing on, and concerning myself with, exclusively, Blacks here in America.
Indeed. A fabricated term.

Valid point.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Indeed. A fabricated term.
So is google, laser, political correctness, blog, aspirin, homophobia, internet, hoover, laser, meme, cat scan, mri, hoover, pro-life, photoshop, radar, website, SUV, Humvee, OP, band-aid...

I could go on, there are hundreds of perfectly valid "fabricated terms" in common usage now. Language is a fluid, ever-evolving medium.

Unless you also heap scorn on any of the words and neoligisms I just posted, your little semantics (look it up) argument is invalid.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I guess we don't have the first black American president after all, but thats okay at least Hawaiian's have the first Hawaiian American president.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
So is google, laser, political correctness, blog, aspirin, homophobia, internet, hoover, laser, meme, cat scan, mri, hoover, pro-life, photoshop, radar, website, SUV, Humvee, OP, band-aid...

I could go on, there are hundreds of perfectly valid "fabricated terms" in common usage now. Language is a fluid, ever-evolving medium.

Unless you also heap scorn on any of the words and neoligisms I just posted, your little semantics (look it up) argument is invalid.
Fallacy of equivocation. The examples you provided aren't labels for human beings. Unless you think black people are objects.... I dont. Do you?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Of my black friends, the only one who ever refers to himself as African was born in the Congo and lived there for 30 years. But he's proud to be an American now. When talks about being African, he's talking about his culture and upbringing, not his skin color.

I have never heard any of my other black friends and co-workers refer to themselves as African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies