Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think a good example of why women are simply not suited for many jobs, combat, firefighter, police officer--is the women's olympic hockey team. They practice against 13 and 14 year old boys because that is their physical level at their peak. They are no match for 15 and 16 year old boys, and those boys are not good enough to be olympians ever. That is how far above physically men are over women naturally.
Good point

Let's review

2012 Olympic “A” standards:

100 meters: men 10.18; women 11.29
200 meters: men 20.55; women 23.10
400 meters: men 45.30; women 51.55
800 meters: men 1:45.60; women 1:59.90
1500 meters: men 3:35.50; women 4:06.00
5000 meters: men 13:20.00; women 15:20.00
10,000 meters: 27:45.00; women 31:45.00

2012 London Olympics Qualifying Standards

Men and women wired differently physically and emotionally by NATURE. Therefore, there are different standards for women and men in Olympic games.

Obviously, women can be a pilot, but it is insane to believe a woman can be Navy seal or Force recon.

Marine Force Reconnaissance - YouTube

Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
?

Let me ask you. Do you honestly think that women who received the same training as men could have stormed the beaches of Normandy sucessfully against a wall of German/French/Czech/Italian men, tanks and artillery?

I don't think there's been a case of all-women units assaulting heavily fortified positions and I highly doubt there will be within our lifetimes. That's not the type of duty military women today would be performing. However, in WWII numerous Russian women served with distinction in the most brutal fighting on the Eastern Front as snipers and fighter pilots, which are certainly combat billets. I'm of the opinion that those women are no more capable than today's females. More recently, the Israeli military has had any number of female soldiers who performed well in combat.

So, in my humble opinion, women who meet the standards should be assigned to those positions with few, if any, reservations. And it's apparent that it's going to occur.

Feel free to contact the president and joint chiefs with your concerns, though.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
if you could, why couldn't a woman...

A woman shooting at you from a apache helichopter can kill you as dead as any man.
Explain to us exactly what an Apache gunner and an 11B ground pounder have in common as far as duty requirements.
Maybe we should just lower the standards of war.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Good point

Let's review

2012 Olympic “A” standards:

100 meters: men 10.18; women 11.29
200 meters: men 20.55; women 23.10
400 meters: men 45.30; women 51.55
800 meters: men 1:45.60; women 1:59.90
1500 meters: men 3:35.50; women 4:06.00
5000 meters: men 13:20.00; women 15:20.00
10,000 meters: 27:45.00; women 31:45.00

2012 London Olympics Qualifying Standards

Men and women wired differently physically and emotionally by NATURE. Therefore, there are different standards for women and men in Olympic games.

Obviously, women can be a pilot, but it is insane to believe a woman can be Navy seal or Force recon.

Marine Force Reconnaissance - YouTube
I think it is insane to think even 35% of all men can be a Navy SEAL or Force Recon. It is also insane to use these as a bench mark of how to grade a woman as fit enough for combat.
I ham honored to know the first woman to ever make New York City's ESU. This is a woman that can more than hold her own against the average man. She paved the way for other women to follow and that means her road was all up hill.
Do you honestly believe that all Navy SEALs are muscle bound freaks of nature? It is mental strength as much or more than physical strength that makes a SEAL.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
There is no doubt that many women can fly planes as good as any man.
Or push a button to fire a missle, squeeze a trigger etc etc
The only issue I have with women serving on the front lines or as front line pilots is the fact that they can be captured...that really bothers me

Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Im sure there are plenty of women that are willing to forgo critical thinking skills and ditch their concience to be the federal governments killer for hire.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think it is insane to think even 35% of all men can be a Navy SEAL or Force Recon. It is also insane to use these as a bench mark of how to grade a woman as fit enough for combat.
I ham honored to know the first woman to ever make New York City's ESU. This is a woman that can more than hold her own against the average man. She paved the way for other women to follow and that means her road was all up hill.
Do you honestly believe that all Navy SEALs are muscle bound freaks of nature? It is mental strength as much or more than physical strength that makes a SEAL.
First of all, I have ALways ALWAYS wanted to join the Marine Corps when I was younger. Even though I am a girl, I always wanted to join the military and fight in combat zone.

My own brother joined the Marine Corps in year 1995, He got out of the Marine Corps in year 2001 (four years active duty, 2 years reserve)

At the time, my brother was barely 18 I was 11 years old. I KNOW what my brother has gone through. He was a Recon Marine. I agree with you, it is mental strength that makes a recon or a seal, but to deny the requirement of physical strength is insane!!

It is definitely not politically correct for me to say, I have nothing against fat people personally. But there are absolutely no overweight active duty Seal or Force recon, NONE, ZERO. I am sure many overweight folks believe they can become a Seal or Force Recon also. No, they can't.

Do you know what does it take to become a Force Recon?

USMC FORCE RECON conducts URBAN ASSAULT TRAINING - YouTube

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-01-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM

349 posts, read 422,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I don't think there's been a case of all-women units assaulting heavily fortified positions and I highly doubt there will be within our lifetimes. That's not the type of duty military women today would be performing. However, in WWII numerous Russian women served with distinction in the most brutal fighting on the Eastern Front as snipers and fighter pilots, which are certainly combat billets. I'm of the opinion that those women are no more capable than today's females. More recently, the Israeli military has had any number of female soldiers who performed well in combat.

So, in my humble opinion, women who meet the standards should be assigned to those positions with few, if any, reservations. And it's apparent that it's going to occur.

Feel free to contact the president and joint chiefs with your concerns, though.
Those women in the Soviet Army were few and far between. And they served as Snipers. Hardly as straining and vigourous and being on the front line.

I think women can serve as medics, field engineers etc.. Actual fighting? No. What if a woman has her period in the middle of a 10 day mission? She is also succeptible to vaginal infections without proper hygene. I also highly doubt a female can carry 80 pounds in gear, plus for example a heavy m249 Light Machine Gun. But I do agree that females should be able to serve in non combat front line roles. It's not worth it to change the rules, tradition, and a system that has worked for thousands of years to accomodate the very very few women who will be up to the task.

I think what's pissing a lot of people off, including males in the army is the fact that these women will have their standards lowered significantly in order to recruit them. There was a story a while back I was reading (I tried to look for the source) 4 females participating in one of the regular standardized physical tests.. I think 2 dropped out and the other 2 failed miserably.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Explain to us exactly what an Apache gunner and an 11B ground pounder have in common as far as duty requirements.
Maybe we should just lower the standards of war.
So all infanty men qualify? all infanry men make the training? of course not.

Conversely, how can you ever know if any woman can handle the rigors...if you ban all form trying. Even if the percentage of qualifiers is .0001%, then that is .0001% more than zero.

What "women" can or can not do does not speak to every woman.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I bet you've never been in combat right? You wouldn't believe how quickly war regresses to just that, at the drop of a hat. Would you want your 115lb 19 year old daughter in a life or death, hand to hand fight with a 220 man?

Because if women are allowed into combat then they will be drafted right along with the men.
Remind me of when the last draft was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies