Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM

33,495 posts, read 36,974,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
And telling a business owner how to run their business and who they WILL SERVE is discrimination and slavery.

I do support anti-discrimination laws. Thats why I don't support this law.
Oh good, I want to serve only people with blue eyes and under six feet tall....Your opinion is ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,566,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh good, I want to serve only people with blue eyes and under six feet tall....Your opinion is ridiculous.
Then you should be free to do so.
Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It is neither. I suggest you look up the definition of slavery.

OMG, so tired of Libertarian doublespeak.
How is it "doublespeak"? Because you simply cannot comprehend a differing opinion and think outside your bubble?

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's like looking at art, a painting in a museum. The second cake is nothing but gender contrast. The Calla Lily, with it's yellow spadix (penis), is clearly male. The rose is definitely female. This is not a gay wedding cake.
I think roses can be either/or, due to their popularity with both genders.

Yes the Calla Lily, with it's spadix (note the syllabil 'dix' is in there) has male connotations but I would argue that Anthuriums are even more so. Of course the gay poet Walt Whitman celebrated the Calamus as an emblem of male-male love (and why not? It is very phallic!)

The most female flower in my view is the Orchid. Just look at the giant Orchid pictures by bisexual painter Georgia O'Keefe. Orchids can be seen as emblematic of the vulva.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
But they won't come together. Everything is too black and white. People simply don't see that the Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin. The middle ground is Libertarian. The liberal media paint them out to be worse than Republicans. The Republicans simply ignore them. Why is it they never are allowed to get in on the debates? Why is it they are constantly shut out? Because THEY(reps and dems) want control and they have been playing us as fiddles for years and people simply cannot see beyond Red or Blue at this point. They have Americans so distracted that they do what they want and people just don't see it. Its a constant blame game while pushing their agenda.
Libertarians are simply people too ashamed to admit they are Republicans.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Libertarians are simply people too ashamed to admit they are Republicans.
Absolutely WRONG!

Libertarians support gay marriage at the federal level.
Libertarians support abortion at the federal level.
Libertarians support the legalization of drugs at the federal level.
Libertarians are NON-interventionalist.
Support anti-discrimination and personal freedom.
Small government

Keep listening to the liberal media's definition and looking like an uninformed individual that goes running their mouth though.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Social engineering will never overcome the laws of nature.
The freaks of nature and the weak, will always be culled from the herd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Or they'll drive the evolutionary process.

There is no evolution, if you cannot reproduce. that is extinction. That is the first law of nature, well before the freaks being culled.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Are you kidding me? Selling a material good is a service?

Baking a good is a service, reselling a product you bought pre-made, is retailing.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Private biz should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they want for whatever reason they want.
I think that is the bottom line in this discussion.

The absolute right to discriminate against a community or not.

If you feel strongly about it, change the laws.

Presently there are laws on the books concerning protecting people from prejudice, discrimination, equal access, and exclusion from public accommodations.

I'm a landlord, I know. In my city and county I would be breaking the law if I refused to rent to a person based on their sex, race, nationality, religion, age (if 18 or older), sexual orientation or handicap.

I understand that these laws were enacted over a long period of decades and even generations to right the unfairness of depriving certain communities and peoples access to services, goods and accommodations. It amounted to humiliating and punishing people because they happen to belong to a certain race or religion or sexual orientation. Our nation, which pays lip service to the ideals of "equal opportunity" and "fairness" and "liberty" has evolved to granting equality by both legislating and ruling through the judicial process against discrimination.

Did I lose some "freedom" to exclude and discriminate as a landlord? Yes. Did certain minorities win the "freedom" to have the opportunity to live in decent housing or in a desirable neighborhood? Yes. Sometimes, I think, some "rights" trump other "rights."

Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post

it's a shame that it's 2013, and we're returning to slavery.

That's right! I'm getting my whip out ... so you better start picking that cotton growing in my back yard!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies