Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,887,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Your solution is a bad business model, but it doesn't break the law.

Over and over I've noted that I am not arguing that a law was likely broken. I acknowledge that the person caught with a joint is breaking a law but what do we accomplish by putting them in jail?

Quote:
If a business wishes to not want people to advertise them or goes out of their way to tell someone they don't approve of their "lifestyle" then that business will probably be buying some new going out of business signs when people begin writing negative reviews.
Which I do not have a problem with.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe the couple would have said thanks, but no thanks, and went elsewhere.

That isn't what the baker did, though. Maybe the baker should have tried that approach, then he wouldn't be investigated for breaking the state law.
Also being sued by the couple for discrimination.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Being a Jahovah Witness isn't the same thing as baking cakes. This bakery made wedding cakes, not religious philosophy cakes.
Never mind I said it wasn't the same thing. You are arguing legality. I am arguing solutions to the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe the couple would have said thanks, but no thanks, and went elsewhere.

That isn't what the baker did, though. Maybe the baker should have tried that approach, then he wouldn't be investigated for breaking the state law.
And what would have been accomplished? How does the problem get addressed by a business figuring out the "correct and acceptable" way to discriminate?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,001,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Never mind I said it wasn't the same thing. You are arguing legality. I am arguing solutions to the problem.
The solution would of been to make the wedding cake because that is what the bakery is in business to do. They can whine about the gays behind close doors all they want. We use to make fun of the tourists in the backroom of the hotels I use to work in, but would smile and be polite to their faces.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,114,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
You got what you wanted. The homosexual militant haters must be ecstatic. Somebody dared disagree with the homosexual and the homosexual was able to shut down a business and negatively impact this family’s ability to put food on the table. Good job losers!
So, the OWNER refused service to homosexuals, and it is the homosexuals fault that others didn't like that and refused to buy the bakers products?
The OWNER chose to close his storefront, because of less business caused by his actions, and it is the homosexuals fault?

Did the evil homosexuals also force the baker to deny service and break the laws of the state?

Is it upside down day on P&OC.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The solution would of been to make the wedding cake because that is what the bakery is in business to do.
For most people the solution to the J.W. problem is for them to just not knock at your door. They still are not going to make cakes for gay couples here.

Quote:
They can whine about the gays behind close doors all they want. We use to make fun of the tourists in the backroom of the hotels I use to work in, but would smile and be polite to their faces.
Being two faced does not solve the problem. Disliking someone for their lifestyle is a far bigger problem than someone having to go elsewhere to buy a cake.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,272,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No ones saying they are being forced to own a bakery. Government is forcing them to serve people that the owners don't want too. Why comment when you've missed the point?
No, I haven't missed it. You said that right-wingers having to obey laws that make them sad is just like slavery, and I explained how your argument was garbage.

It must be so sad for right-wingers that business can't treat people like second-class citizens. The government should mail each of you a tissue so you can all dry your tears.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,114,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Also being sued by the couple for discrimination.
No the couple reported them to the state department that handles discrimination issues.
Quote:
Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman of Portland filed a complaint with the state earlier this year after Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to bake a wedding cake for the couple, citing religious reasons.
Gresham bakery that refused to bake same-sex wedding cake closes shop | OregonLive.com

IF the case goes to court, it will be the state taking them to court. Right now it is an investigation into discriminatory practices that violate state law.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,622,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I wouldn't want to receive goods and services from them, either. Some people, however, think it's worthwhile to shame such individuals/companies and to denounce them...

Alas, I have no idea what truly motivated these guys.

Like you, I have been discriminated against - and did not sue anybody. I just moved on to another business - but made sure I told everyone I knew what had happened to me (incidentally, this was a bakery, too).
This is what is perplexing about this lesbian bakery debacle. They could have realized that they were dealing with religious people and show a modicum of respect for their beliefs and just walked down the street and given another bakery their money. In this day and age word of mouth, facebook, and the like would have sufficed. That would be the right thing to do.

Instead these vindictive lesbians enjoy hitting below the belt and impacting this hard working family’s ability to put food on the table all because they could not get a cake. A cake they would never have eaten anyway. The homosexual is discovering that not only is everyone not as thrilled and enthusiastic about homosexuality as they are but that they cannot force or bully folks into liking them, wanting them, or doing something against their will. Suing small religious businesses isn’t gaining any sympathy for the homosexual cause and instead is creating enemies among the voters and silent majority who don’t speak out on internet discussion boards.

Next time there won’t be any objection or protests from the bullied small business unable to defend itself. To avoid lawsuits the business will lie. The homosexual will get the precious little cake with a sly smile and a bad case of the runs. That is the result the homosexual bullies will ultimately reap as they will never bully, force or legislate away anyone’s attitudes or opinions on the matter. There will always be unwavering disagreement along with honest hard working people willing to take the hit and stand up for the continued attacks on their religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies