Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
and allow our leaders to fight also.

I don't think Charlie's too old, do you?
Malia and Sasha Obama should be drafted also.

It makes sense now why Obama and friends want to add 11 to 30 million illegals to the legal labor pool so they can grab up all the good paying jobs and keep Americans from being gainfully employed. Many young Americans will join the military when that's the only job out there.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Malia and Sasha Obama should be drafted also.

It makes sense now why Obama and friends want to add 11 to 30 million illegals to the legal labor pool so they can grab up all the good paying jobs and keep Americans from being gainfully employed. Many young Americans will join the military when that's the only job out there.
I bet Obama would see the "war" situation a lot clearer if his daughters were drafted.

maybe they plan on using the illegals to fight, just a thought. If they survive, they get citizenship:
http://www.uscitizenship.info/blog/u...litary-service

as for Charlie, he is probably just trying to get everybody's mind off his always ongoing tax frauds:
Charlie Rangel - ProPublica

i can't imagine anybody dumb enough to vote for this jerk.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Just think if our government had to pay everyone, ages 18-65 a living wage....

Would they then have to tax you 100% to pay for it?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
He did it to make a point.

Thread fail

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The military is full. They get to be very picky in who they accept today. Charlie is just being a doofus again.
When it comes to special units, then yes, they are "picky" about who can pass the rigorous tests to qualify. Some branches are understaffed, such as the Army. If you have a pulse and can get through boot camp (which has eased the "requirements") they will take you, call you a grunt, then send you to the front line.

Full? I don't think so. Why do we have military service personnel who signed up for a certain number of years find themselves still in the military beyond the "contractual term" and have done multiple tours? It's called the stop-loss policy - the involuntary extension of service by the government. There is no end of term of service date.

There was a mad rush to enlist after 9/11. Today, men and women aren't exactly flooding the enlistment offices, in spite of the military trying to make joining "attractive". I think more people are weighing US involvement, especially in the ME, and realizing that we aren't accomplishing anything other than taking a country that we perceive needs democracy and end up creating a worse situation for that country, and in the process killing a lot of innocent people. They are probably more concerned with nation building at home, rather than nation building in countries that don't want the US there.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
When it comes to special units, then yes, they are "picky" about who can pass the rigorous tests to qualify. Some branches are understaffed, such as the Army.
US Army more selective on recruits, re-enlistments

US Army more selective on recruits, re-enlistments | Fox News

Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
US Army more selective on recruits, re-enlistments

US Army more selective on recruits, re-enlistments | Fox News

So we went from what was the norm prior to 9/11, relaxing that norm, and we are back to the norm - calling it "selective". What once would keep you out of the military was waived in order to build up a military for Iraq and Afghanistan.

With the threat of military intervention with Syria, and all the "threats" coming out of other countries, and the US possibly having to face these threats, will they go back to relaxing the qualifications to the same level of recruits that they allowed to join while building up military personnel for Iraq and Afghanistan?

Thinking about the possibilities as a result of US military intervention in Syria has me very concerned. How many countries can we invade and how many countries can we fight without a larger military? Will it get to the stage where the draft will be needed? If we keep going the way we've been, it may or may not be Obama's call to bring back the draft, but maybe the next president will have to?

Maybe we will be blessed with a president that pulls the US out of the mess it created for itself and the mess it created within countries in the ME? Wouldn't that be wonderful - having a president that can see that the war on terrorism has been a total and complete failure and that if we extract ourselves from these countries and stop invading these countries the threat of terrorism in the US would be diminished? A president that believes that countries are entitled to form their own government or fight to change it without US intervention? A president that realizes that the US does not determine what is good or not good for other countries?

I know, wishful thinking on my part.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
So we went from what was the norm prior to 9/11, relaxing that norm, and we are back to the norm - calling it "selective". What once would keep you out of the military was waived in order to build up a military for Iraq and Afghanistan.

With the threat of military intervention with Syria, and all the "threats" coming out of other countries, and the US possibly having to face these threats, will they go back to relaxing the qualifications to the same level of recruits that they allowed to join while building up military personnel for Iraq and Afghanistan?

Thinking about the possibilities as a result of US military intervention in Syria has me very concerned. How many countries can we invade and how many countries can we fight without a larger military? Will it get to the stage where the draft will be needed? If we keep going the way we've been, it may or may not be Obama's call to bring back the draft, but maybe the next president will have to?

Maybe we will be blessed with a president that pulls the US out of the mess it created for itself and the mess it created within countries in the ME? Wouldn't that be wonderful - having a president that can see that the war on terrorism has been a total and complete failure and that if we extract ourselves from these countries and stop invading these countries the threat of terrorism in the US would be diminished? A president that believes that countries are entitled to form their own government or fight to change it without US intervention? A president that realizes that the US does not determine what is good or not good for other countries?

I know, wishful thinking on my part.
People thought that person was going to be Obama. Seems they were fooled.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:11 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
As far as I know HS seniors still fill out the selective service info. Why not have a draft, it may force a lot of parents to rethink their ideas on war. The draft was a big issue till Nixon ended it, led to a lot of problems with the youth movement in the 70's.
The Rich will still buy their way out as they have (see your history pages).

Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
As far as I know HS seniors still fill out the selective service info. Why not have a draft, it may force a lot of parents to rethink their ideas on war. The draft was a big issue till Nixon ended it, led to a lot of problems with the youth movement in the 70's.
The Rich will still buy their way out as they have (see your history pages).
the reason NOT to have it is that it could increase an escalation in war mentality, and increase the likelihood that (mostly poor) people would have to fight in wars they didn't believe in, or go to jail.

the whole thing is a cluster**** and it is about time that we acknowledged it. It seems likely that the chemicals used in Syria were exported from Britain:

The Business Secretary, Vince Cable, will today be asked by MPs to explain why a British company was granted export licenses for the dual-use substances for six months in 2012 while Syria’s civil war was raging and concern was rife that the regime could use chemical weapons on its own people. The disclosure of the licenses for potassium fluoride and sodium fluoride, which can both be used as precursor chemicals in the manufacture of nerve gas, came as the US Secretary of State John Kerry said the United States had evidence that sarin gas was used in last month’s atrocity in Damascus.

Mr Kerry announced that traces of the nerve agent, found in hair and blood samples taken from victims of the attack in the Syrian capital which claimed more than 1,400 lives, were part of a case being built by the Obama administration for military intervention as it launched a full-scale political offensive on Sunday to persuade a skeptical Congress to approve a military strike against Syria.

we don't need to be doing anything to escalate all this stupidity.

when leaders of the world have no common sense it makes no sense to draft citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies