Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,613,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
It is an emotional reason. By that logic, the US should be giving handouts to African children. It's not Americas business to be saving lives around the world. Let the country sort out their own problems. The role of a military is to serve and protect it's nation. The role of the government is to do everything in it's power to protect and govern it's nation so it's people will be well off. Going to intervene in a situation in a foreign country has nothing to do with America. Zero.

If you'd like since you care so much, why don't you start your own task force with the rest of your hippie lib friends and go liberate the Syrian people? While you're there, you can oversee the radical Muslims who will take over.
The role of the military is to act as an extension of that nations foreign policy when peaceful means fail. National guard and the militia protect the homeland.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

349 posts, read 421,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The role of the military is to act as an extension of that nations foreign policy when peaceful means fail. National guard and the militia protect the homeland.
Definition of military I got:

A military is an organization authorized by its greater society to use lethal force, usually including use of weapons, in defending its country by combating actual or perceived threats.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,296,138 times
Quote:
Chance we have to take. My position is that none of us have a clue what exactly the big picture is in all of this. Our leaders do. For the first time in 5 years the rabid opposition of president Obama is supporting his actions concerning Syria. this after secret intelligence briefings. I'll bow to the bi-partisan consensus in this case. even the politicians who have obstructed the president are going with the bi-partisan consensus. That's good enough for me. I support our Commander in Chief and the action he takes. It's time for the rabid partisanship to cease on this issue. Our leaders realize it and the
rest of us ought to also. In the final standing, we are all warriors in the fight against terrorism.
I do have a clue what the big picture is about. Why don't you?

Do you know what it is you are supporting? There is a reason why the US chooses to help some, but disregards others.

It's strategy, moreover, geo-political strategy. In pacifying Syria, they are merely moving one of their chess pieces on the board.

If this is about terrorism, then why are we supporting "terrorists" to overthrow "terrorists?" Furthermore, if you don't have a clue what the big picture is, how can you formulate a position?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,613,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I do have a clue what the big picture is about. Why don't you?

Do you know what it is you are supporting? There is a reason why the US chooses to help some, but disregards others.

It's strategy, moreover, geo-political strategy. In pacifying Syria, they are merely moving one of their chess pieces on the board.

If this is about terrorism, then why are we supporting "terrorists" to overthrow "terrorists?" Furthermore, if you don't have a clue what the big picture is, how can you formulate a position?
The only way you could have a clue about this particular big picture would be if you attended one or more of the secret intelligence briefings that Boehner and Cantor attended. The administration is NOT telling you everything. And who are you that you get on the "Need to Know" list?

Yes, I know who I am supporting. I'm supporting the Commander in Chief of our military and the leader of our nation. A man who has access to the most sophisticated intelligence networks in the world. I trust him to make the right call. Why don't you?

We are NOT supporting terrorists in this fight. We are supporting the Free Syrian Army who is backed by the Saudi Arabian nation and 6 other moderate Arab nations and Israel. AQ in Syria is a minor annoyance and we are not backing them in anyway. Only right wing conservatives keep flogging this myth to keep the level of hate up towards Obama..

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM

349 posts, read 421,112 times
Quote:
The only way you could have a clue about this particular big picture would be if you attended one or more of the secret intelligence briefings that Boehner and Cantor attended. The administration is NOT telling you everything. And who are you that you get on the "Need to Know" list?

Yes, I know who I am supporting. I'm supporting the Commander in Chief of our military and the leader of our nation. A man who has access to the most sophisticated intelligence networks in the world. I trust him to make the right call. Why don't you?

We are NOT supporting terrorists in this fight. We are supporting the Free Syrian Army who is backed by the Saudi Arabian nation and 6 other moderate Arab nations and Israel. AQ in Syria is a minor annoyance and we are not backing them in anyway. Only right wing conservatives keep flogging this myth to keep the level of hate up towards Obama..
Jesus Christ, you think he will tell you the truth?

I don't even know if Assad gassed his own people anyways.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,281,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
lol.

It's so fun to hear all the leftists sound like Rumsfeld right before Iraq.
Depressing, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
You say this as if you don't believe that Syria can retaliate. They are being supported by the Russians.

Do you really believe that this is worth sacrificing American lives?

Sure, it's possible there won't be any American casualties, but Russia threatened there will be "consequences."

Does that count for anything? Certainly, Russia has the capability.
I hated Iraq, but at least it felt like the adults were running the show. This whole mess feels like a really bad SNL episode.

Nobody wants it - Most in U.S. oppose Syria strike, Post-ABC poll finds

It could very quickly get worse - John Kerry Won't Rule Out Ground Troops In Syria

This babbling moron chimes in - Wasserman Schultz: 'Dozens' of Countries Back U.S. Action in Syria | National Review Online

What is really depressing is the idea of a military conflict being helmed by Obama and Kerry.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,296,138 times
Quote:

That's not true.

You can read about it yourself. The White Papers from the mid 1970s are declassified, so why haven't you?

What do you believe the "right call" to be?

What is it that you're fighting for? Are you fighting to sustain your lifestyle, so that you can continue to consume 25% of the world's oil resources and 30% of the world's non-oil resources?

Because, essentially, that is what you are ultimately fighting for.

You see, Iran does not have the combat radius to attack Israel, but Syria does. The US has to pacify Syria before waging war with Iran.

You have a very parochial view, looking through the lens of your political affiliation. Perhaps, there is an even darker ulterior motive that I am unaware of, but it is not about terrorism.

What do you think will happen to your economy when you no longer control the currency that petroleum is traded in?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,513,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
It's sickening and pathetic that people (on either side) would try and turn this into a partisan issue. I sure hope our leaders do what's best for the country, not their political ties
I hope you're not holding your breath. 'What's best for the country' has been thrown out the window, it appears.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,886,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How could you watch the videos of Syrian children suffering and dying after a nerve gas attack by their own government and NOT support a military response? This is unacceptable and the penalty for the Assad Regime must be painful.

Take the politics out of it-- You can't let this atrocity go unanswered.

A measured, limited and very punishing response is warranted.
Sure, a military response is fine. I'd support it even. But not our military. This is none of our damn business. This is not the role of our military to perform. It is not, as Kerry claims, our responsibility to punish Assad. Us getting involved in this mess is a monumental mistake. Someone else can play hero and throw their assets into the fray. Syria is no threat to us, and our military has no duty to be there.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:12 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,878,049 times
Just to be on the opposite side of Obama and for no other reason. They spent all the years since 2008 screaming about Iran and how we had to stop them from getting nukes but now they are willing to give Iran the green light just because it would mean giving a meaningless, symbolic "defeat" to Obama. Can it be any more clear they are the party with no ideas which doesn't care about the nation or it's standing in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies