Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

The military has been stretched so thin that it is creating issues for many of the married ones, especially with kids, who are experiencing serious home life problems. The op tempo is about to psychologically do them in. Add to that the financial cuts and you have an extremely weak and vulnerable military. We are not adequately funded, nor emotionally equipped to be the world's police. This is especially true in this situation where it isn't clear who is and isn't using chemical warfare and our staunchest ally has already said they won't join us. This is a no-win situation and we need to stay the heck out of it.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The people spoke and you're in the political minority. No one wanted McCain and his clown of a running mate and no one wanted the flip flopper/47 % nonsense Romney was spewing. Instead of making crap up like voting on race how about nominate a candidate that has a plan and can connect with the American people... It's a reason the Republican party is shrinking. They [Republicans] blame their short comings on others and they make up lies to stroke their egos...
On McCain you have a point.

But Romney was unjustifiably vilified by the left, and even had a supposedly unbiased moderator against him in the debates.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

But Romney was unjustifiably vilified by the left, and even had a supposedly unbiased moderator against him in the debates.
Instead of being honest and blazing his own path the Romney campaign played to the far right and said the stuff they wanted to hear. He dug his own grave when he chastised the working class and became the face for the party of no...

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
You mentioned "Ignoring the Military experts" my question was who is being ignored? I was referring to this situation not Vietnam. I'm curious what expert is being ignored in your opinion. I haven't seen a military expert on the record speak out against the current plan...

You are correct about LBJ though...
I want to see any General agree on the record that advertising who and what we are targeting a head of time is a sound strategy. Yes the Syrian military would most likely make some accurate guesses. That said you don't show your hand to the other side. In this regard I doubt any General or Admiral would agree with Obama's approach. They will shake their heads in private but follow orders.
The multitude of former generals acting as news talkers have more than spoke against Obama's approach.
I have asked and have yet to get an answer. Why is Syria our problem? Why is it our job to take military action?
I would understand if it happened in Canada or Mexico. They are our neighbors. Syria is a pimple on the world map. The Arab league wants something done. These arab states have impressive military hardware. Let them clean their own back yard.
By the way thank you for acknowledging that I was correct about Vietnam and LBJ. I was also correct about Somalia.
The military saw that they needed heavy weapons, but were denied by the Clinton administration. The raid that resulted in BlackHawk down was also recommended against by the military on the ground. The civilian masters pushed for it and got it. To bad our soldiers had to pay a big price for an ungrateful people and a less grateful political leadership.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Instead of being honest and blazing his own path the Romney campaign played to the far right and said the stuff they wanted to hear. He dug his own grave when he chastised the working class and became the face for the party of no...
Now be honest. Obama was caught mis representing his own share of facts during the debate and that Moderator in fact took sides and was proven to be in error when she supported Obama's position.
I agree tho Romney's campaign failed to win because they insisted upon embellishing on stupid things.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The military has been stretched so thin that it is creating issues for many of the married ones, especially with kids, who are experiencing serious home life problems. The op tempo is about to psychologically do them in. Add to that the financial cuts and you have an extremely weak and vulnerable military. We are not adequately funded, nor emotionally equipped to be the world's police. This is especially true in this situation where it isn't clear who is and isn't using chemical warfare and our staunchest ally has already said they won't join us. This is a no-win situation and we need to stay the heck out of it.
Please even with cuts in our military it is still larger and stronger than china's or most other "civilized" countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

Actually the left really had very little to do with his being villified if anything what killed him was the viciousness of the republican primaries that is really what killed him. Plus he really didn't help himself much either obama or the left or anybody only had to let him speak to shoot himself in the foot. That is what happens when you force a moderate to be a far right/left candidate when they themselves know they are not that way at all.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I want to see any General agree on the record that advertising who and what we are targeting a head of time is a sound strategy. Yes the Syrian military would most likely make some accurate guesses. That said you don't show your hand to the other side. In this regard I doubt any General or Admiral would agree with Obama's approach. They will shake their heads in private but follow orders.
The multitude of former generals acting as news talkers have more than spoke against Obama's approach.
I have asked and have yet to get an answer. Why is Syria our problem? Why is it our job to take military action?
I would understand if it happened in Canada or Mexico. They are our neighbors. Syria is a pimple on the world map. The Arab league wants something done. These arab states have impressive military hardware. Let them clean their own back yard.
By the way thank you for acknowledging that I was correct about Vietnam and LBJ. I was also correct about Somalia.
The military saw that they needed heavy weapons, but were denied by the Clinton administration. The raid that resulted in BlackHawk down was also recommended against by the military on the ground. The civilian masters pushed for it and got it. To bad our soldiers had to pay a big price for an ungrateful people and a less grateful political leadership.
Threats and warnings is part of SOP when conducting non-covert military action. Bush gave Saddam a 48-hour ultimatum that he didn't comply with and ended up in war. Bush also gave the Taliban an ultimatum. In both cases the enemies knew what we where going to do in advance... Just because we didn't use a sneak attack doesn't mean our threats are advertisements.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Go ahead and name one sitting general that is on the record saying we shouldn't take action! Just one! Military service people have always had opinions on how the US should use force but what it comes down to is it isn't really their choice. Don't like being ordered around don't join...
Sounds like you don't approve of everyone getting on the gay communist's azz when he gives illegal orders..
You voted for him, deal with it...

Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Now be honest. Obama was caught mis representing his own share of facts during the debate and that Moderator in fact took sides and was proven to be in error when she supported Obama's position.
I agree tho Romney's campaign failed to win because they insisted upon embellishing on stupid things.
Obama ate Romney alive in all of the debates except the first one... Horses and buggies will be an all-time classic. That said what politician doesn't bend the truth? And when someone bends the truth like what Romney did their opponent should be able to take advantage of the fact...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies