Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about illegal drugs, and the resulting drug gangs?
Legalize drugs as described 48 57.83%
Keep the current system 18 21.69%
Other (please specify) 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

349 posts, read 422,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Just like prescription drugs already are.
Hard drugs should be legalized and advertised in the front window panel like meat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
As I said earlier, all advertising/marketing would be banned. I would mandate that pharmacies carry it, sell it to any adult (ID always checked) who wanted it. But there would be no signs and it wouldn't be on display.

And, actually, I'd have no problem if Canadians were allowed access to guns. But I'm not Canadian, so that's not my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
So we should be able to have cocaine available in stores on display for innocent people and kids to see or buy should we?

Let's legalize it because it's made availble anyways. What a poor excuse. If Canadians were to be given access to guns next week like the Americans do, I'm sure you would think that's a bad idea.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As I said earlier, all advertising/marketing would be banned. I would mandate that pharmacies carry it, sell it to any adult (ID always checked) who wanted it. But there would be no signs and it wouldn't be on display.

And, actually, I'd have no problem if Canadians were allowed access to guns. But I'm not Canadian, so that's not my problem.
Having it legalized and readily available to anyone over the age of 18 will encourage more people to try it. It will become a use and then an addiction. If you can't see that, well...

Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Hard drugs should be legalized and advertised in the front window panel like meat?
I didn't say advertised. I believe all drugs should be legal, but it should be illegal to advertise any of them, including caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Why, when anyone can text their dealer and get it delivered in 20 minutes (and hooking up with a new dealer is not a problem either.) If the prohibition was working, we wouldn't even be discussing this. As others have said, it's easier for kids to get pot than booze.

What I would not allow is having it turn into another beer industry, with commercials in every NFL time out. I think that is the cause of a lot of the alcohol problems (the unremitting promotion.) I'd let drugs be out there, and someone can get them if want them (which is exactly as it is now.) But there'd be no promotion.

Quote:
Having it legalized and readily available to anyone over the age of 18 will encourage more people to try it. It will become a use and then an addiction. If you can't see that, well...

Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Mmmm, not if kids are adequately educated on what the drugs actually do. It really has to do with the addict and not the drug (except for painkillers or nicotene). Its a choice that every person has to make: which, if any, drugs will I take. It's really the same choice as choosing what to eat.

The most dangerous drugs known are already legal, they're called deleriants. You can pick them up at a garden center or over the counter pharmacy if you want. Nobody does though, because they're dangerous and people don't willingly ingest poison.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_info6.shtml

Last edited by Phil P; 09-03-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why, when anyone can text their dealer and get it delivered in 20 minutes (and hooking up with a new dealer is not a problem either.) If the prohibition was working, we wouldn't even be discussing this. As others have said, it's easier for kids to get pot than booze.

What I would not allow is having it turn into another beer industry, with commercials in every NFL time out. I think that is the cause of a lot of the alcohol problems (the unremitting promotion.) I'd let drugs be out there, and someone can get them if want them (which is exactly as it is now.) But there'd be no promotion.
Most people don't know drug dealers or would be too scared to approach one. Drug dealers aren't that readily available anyways, contrary to what you may think. Some curious kid or mentally messed up person would have easy access to a drug that provides absolutely no benefit if it were legalized. Prohibition doesn't work in the sense that it doesn't keep drugs off the streets, but legalization will just increase use of the drug. Absolutely asinine idea.

I know from experience kinda. While I was suffering from depression last year, I would have easily offed myself if I had easy access to a gun or would've abused drugs if it were down the street from me to access easily.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Mmmm, not if kids are adequately educated on what the drugs actually do. It really has to do with the addict and not the drug (except for painkillers or nicotene). Its a choice that every person has to make: which, if any, drugs will I take. It's really the same choice as choosing what to eat.
Kids are educated on safe sex but still end up contracting STD's and pushing out kids. It's a personal choice yes, but shouldn't be an option made legal. There's way too much harm involved. If Marijuana is legalized, people will flock to stores and buy it to smoke. Imagine something more harmful such as coke or meth.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I always felt that drug addiction should be considered a medical problem ... not criminal activity.

Alcohol is a drug yet alcoholic beverages are legal.

Is there a vodka or a gin or a whisky cartel engaged in wholesale smuggling operations? Are there liquor corners in inner cities and turf wars by liquor store gangs?
I agree with you.

I was watching a documentary on the issue and historically that's how addiction was treated in the early years in our society. Addicts were seen as people who needed help.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me??

If they legalize drugs your gonna go out and smoke crack??

Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies