Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about illegal drugs, and the resulting drug gangs?
Legalize drugs as described 48 57.83%
Keep the current system 18 21.69%
Other (please specify) 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,573,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Most people don't know drug dealers or would be too scared to approach one. Drug dealers aren't that readily available anyways, contrary to what you may think. Some curious kid or mentally messed up person would have easy access to a drug that provides absolutely no benefit if it were legalized. Prohibition doesn't work in the sense that it doesn't keep drugs off the streets, but legalization will just increase use of the drug. Absolutely asinine idea.

I know from experience kinda. While I was suffering from depression last year, I would have easily offed myself if I had easy access to a gun or would've abused drugs if it were down the street from me to access easily.

You aren't living in reality. You don't need to know a drug dealer on a first name basis to get drugs. And believe it or not, there are drug dealers in nice suburban neighborhoods that are presumably "safe". The difference between the hood and suburbs is that a drug dealer in the suburbs can often keep his business out of everyone's face. But trust me, drug dealers come in many different varieties. the idea that you need to go to some dangerous neighborhood to purchase drugs is antiquated. That hasn't been the reality for over 30 years. You have drug dealers on campus at Ivy League universities, in nice "high schools", and who live on nice blocks. If your kids doesn't know how to get drugs, trust me he knows someone who does.

Drugs are available for people who want them, no matter where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,102,008 times
Quote:
Kids are educated on safe sex but still end up contracting STD's and pushing out kids. It's a personal choice yes, but shouldn't be an option made legal. There's way too much harm involved. If Marijuana is legalized, people will flock to stores and buy it to smoke. Imagine something more harmful such as coke or meth.

Stop spreading propaganda and lies.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,298,636 times
So to summarize this:

The OP is a drug user and wants to use his drugs without going to jail. Did I miss anything?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
So to summarize this:

The OP is a drug user and wants to use his drugs without going to jail. Did I miss anything?
Please stop.

Unless you support the re-criminalization of alcohol you have no leg to stand on.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times
Like the OP, I do not use drugs and while I do not associate with those who do, I have had more than enough exposure to those who do in my current line of work.
Many people die from drug use, both legal and not. Some call it survival of the fittest, but some regulation needs to exist, especially in the medical field, so we cannot scrap the DEA or the FDA just yet. But meds need to be readily available for research and testing, and under current drug schedules, this does not happen. SO we will toss out the schedules.
Lets take marijuana as ana example. It will be, under my proposed rug laws, legal, in the way that alcohol is. Anyone over 21 can purchase it from a licensed store and take it wil them, anyone 18 to 20 can consume it in the confines of a licensed facility. It cannot be consumed in public places, such as restaurants theaters or any place where smoking tobacco is currently banned. It requires a license to sell and purchase. Consumption by anyone under 18 is illegal.
It can be imported. It must first be inspected by a licensed grader, stamped, then a fee must be payed on importation to the US. Once in the country, it can be resold and redistributed to licensed dealers and will be taxed again at point of sale. Tax money goes back to the DEA and FDA
Importation of unlicensed drugs is illegal, it is far easier to have the weeds graded and stamped then declared on importation. Drug dealers in Mexico can spend a few thousand to stamp and grade the truckloads of pot knowing that the goods will not be confiscated at the order. They know too that their profits are safe. This takes the competition away from street level gangs and pushers, and takes much of the risk of buying bad dope off the table, as facilities and dealers are licensed to sell only graded smoke !
Th likes of course will result in lower crime overall, so those border agents who are not needed to verify import stamps will be put to work on anti-terrorist programs, making sure a 9/11 and Boston Bombing does not happen again.
LSD and drugs such as PCP will require a different schedule, and should be restricted to licensed facility use only. Something like "Smokin Joe's Toke and Ecstasy Club"

Now what to do with all that money saved from lack of law enforcement ? As mentioned, the FBI needs to be focusing on violent crime and terrorism. By removing narcotics from the major concerns, we can try to prevent another Oklahoma city bombing. Funding will be increased for addiction research and treatment. Maybe hire a few psychiatrists from Portugal to come over and instruct our medical practitioners on how it should be done. By putting more money into mental health, drug use will go down. Why ? because only sick people use drugs. Prescribed or otherwise, people who are sick will use drugs. SO let's focus on getting people well so that the demand for drugs will go way down.

Yes, my system may not be perfect, and many details need to be addressed, BUT it would be an improvement over what we do have in place.

And hey, they do not have such a problem anymore in Portugal. Look and learn.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A couple of idiots that believed the pro-drug propaganda that drugs are perfectly safe and so much fun. .

Those are totally unrelated.

But either way, government should not tell me what I can eat, drink or smoke.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 PM

349 posts, read 421,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Are you kidding me??

If they legalize drugs your gonna go out and smoke crack??

Please.
If I wanted to, it would be much easier for me to do so. Having it illegal means its harder to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You aren't living in reality. You don't need to know a drug dealer on a first name basis to get drugs. And believe it or not, there are drug dealers in nice suburban neighborhoods that are presumably "safe". The difference between the hood and suburbs is that a drug dealer in the suburbs can often keep his business out of everyone's face. But trust me, drug dealers come in many different varieties. the idea that you need to go to some dangerous neighborhood to purchase drugs is antiquated. That hasn't been the reality for over 30 years. You have drug dealers on campus at Ivy League universities, in nice "high schools", and who live on nice blocks. If your kids doesn't know how to get drugs, trust me he knows someone who does.

Drugs are available for people who want them, no matter where you go.
Yes, and it's much harder to get them on the underground than if it's legalized. I don't see why reducing sentences for drug related offences isn't an option.

I used the example with the guns because it's kinda similar. If Canada were to legalize them for open salenext week, many people with bad intentions would have an easier way/option into getting them. Same with drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Stop spreading propaganda and lies.
Thanks for you're wonderful contribution to the discussion.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
So to summarize this:

Yes, probably a brain.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to, it would be much easier for me to do so. Having it illegal means its harder to get to..
Not really. Drugs are very easy to acquire today and not very expensive. In fact, it's easier for kids to get pot than alcohol.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
If Marijuana is legalized, people will flock to stores and buy it to smoke. Imagine something more harmful such as coke or meth.
No, they will not. Just like during alcohol prohibition. People who wanted alcohol got it. Today, people who want drugs get them. There are very very few people who want drugs but don't get them because they are illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies