Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Can you be more specific?
This is quite unusual for Medicare. One major defect of Medicare is that they cover too much and too easily.
Actually, Medicare has a higher rate of denials than ANY insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM

415 posts, read 599,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Exactly.
Do you guys have to pay premiums or no? Just curious. I know nothing about your system.
If you know nothing about the Canadian healthcare system, then why are you spouting negatives about it as if you do?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Actually, free markets are the ONLY thing that works.

You may not like how they work, as they are messy and disruptive and uneven... but nothing else works. AT ALL.
Oh I like free markets for sure. Only they don't work well in many areas of medicine.

Emergencies and acute medical/surgical needs/care.
Complicated and/or chronic disease.
Unusual diseases, orphan drugs.
Seniors.
The poor.

I would support and encourage using some free market principles/pressures in all HC markets. Free markets in HC work well with the optional and elective medical encounters. And relatively free markets can work well enough with the relatively young and healthy working population. Which is a very large group.

Unfortunately unbalanced by cost offsets from those buggers, our seniors!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Actually, Medicare has a higher rate of denials than ANY insurance.
I wouldn't doubt in absolute numbers. But I can tell you from almost 40 years of experience, that Medicare is much easier to work with in regards to ordering and scheduling testing, out patient procedures and such for instance.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Oh I like free markets for sure. Only they don't work well in many areas of medicine.

Emergencies and acute medical/surgical needs/care.
Complicated and/or chronic disease.
Unusual diseases, orphan drugs.
Seniors.
The poor.

I would support and encourage using some free market principles/pressures in all HC markets. Free markets in HC work well with the optional and elective medical encounters. And relatively free markets can work well enough with the relatively young and healthy working population. Which is a very large group.

Unfortunately unbalanced by cost offsets from those buggers, our seniors!
Actually, they work best for EVERYONE.

You're just afraid to open your mouth and say "I want personal responsibility to be the norm". Rather, you want the right to pick your neighbor's pockets for what you want.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt in absolute numbers. But I can tell you from almost 40 years of experience, that Medicare is much easier to work with in regards to ordering and scheduling testing, out patient procedures and such for instance.
No, not in absolute numbers. In percentages. It denies more often, at a higher percentage rate, than ANY insurer in the US.

If you have experience with Medicare, you also know that it reimburses below actual costs.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When none of them have had any experience with such a system? There's dozens of Canadian and British posters on here who can easily refute just about any ridiculous claim made by reactionaries against both systems. So:

1. How many people die as a result of a waiting list in Canada and the UK, compared to how many people die in the US because they can't pay for a procedure for whatever reason (which amounts to a defacto waiting list of sorts)?

2. I also constantly read just how superior US healthcare is. Sure, healthcare is superior in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh or Cleveland, but what about those people, of which a plurality, if not most, Americans live in such settings; namely being those that live in a no-name city like Altoona, PA or Somerset, PA or some other small, rusted out town in eastern Kentucky, etc.? Not every geographical area in the US has a Cleveland Clinic, a Philadelphia Children's Hospital, or some other respectable Level I trauma center. The Level II and III trauma centers are not centers of innovation and world class healthcare, everybody seems to forget those in their rants.
I these national systems are so good, why does England have private insurance?

Why do so many Canadians come to America for health care treatment?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
50 million Americans (FIFTY-million) have no health insurance. At least in Canada and most other western countries offers healthcare for all residents for free or very low cost. I know some people who cannot afford doing check-up or visit any doctor because they cannot afford and have no health insurance, and bankrupt staying at hospital for emergency.

God Bless Canada!
"all residents for free"

It is amazing how simple concepts escape so many people.

It is NOT free. You do realize they pay taxes for it, don't you?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
No, not in absolute numbers. In percentages. It denies more often, at a higher percentage rate, than ANY insurer in the US.

If you have experience with Medicare, you also know that it reimburses below actual costs.
Almost all plans and coverage pay less than my/our charges. I certainly no longer get rich on Medicare, but so far we and my hospital remain in profitable business.

For most private plans we have to get pre-authorization for say an MRI. Or for an outpatient surgery. For Medicare we do not.

I think what denial you refer to has to do with paper work and insufficient documentation. When done properly in the first place Medicare is easier than most private plans.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I these national systems are so good, why does England have private insurance?

Why do so many Canadians come to America for health care treatment?
Lol! Half of one percent is "so many Canadians"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies