Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 AM

808 posts, read 662,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How many? Many here have provided factual information about the insignificant number of Canadians who travel to the U.S. for the sole purpose of medical care. Students and snowbirds don't count because of
part time residences.

A heck of a lot more U.S. people seek offshore medical treatment than the U.S. receives in medical tourism. Destinations are not limited to Canada. The number of U.S. people who buy life saving prescription medications in Canada is serious business. That they have to travel out of the U.S. to buy the same medications at substantially less cost says a lot about the overall healthcare system in the U.S.
not true. most of those going to their HOME COUNTRIES like India,china or Russia seek dental treatment there, becasueit is cheaper, but not actually medcal treatment, unlike the medical tourists, who come to the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
not true. most of those going to their HOME COUNTRIES like India,china or Russia seek dental treatment there, becasueit is cheaper, but not actually medcal treatment, unlike the medical tourists, who come to the US
I am going to have to ask for a cite for that.

As far as I know, most people coming to the US for medical treatment from the developed world come for cosmetic surgery.

I've never heard about any stats on the people leaving the US for treatment, because America does not collect stats on that. You'd have to collect stats from every destination coutry.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
more blah-blah-blah

I don't care about your BLOGS.

I have access to just ONE hospital stats (can have to more, but I don't feel like it) - and even ONE small community hospital on the South East Florida provides tens of procedures every year to Canadians.

if any hospital just in South East Florida coast provides 50-100 operative procedures every year - it is hundreds of thousands just for Florida. Opeartive procedures, which are the most lucrative, not dental implants

so, yeah, keep your B S coming

Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I am going to have to ask for a cite for that.

As far as I know, most people coming to the US for medical treatment from the developed world come for cosmetic surgery.

I've never heard about any stats on the people leaving the US for treatment, because America does not collect stats on that. You'd have to collect stats from every destination coutry.
Most people from Canada and UK are coming for orthopedic procedures, urologic procedures, cancer diagnostics and cancer treatments.
UK is leading in some cardiology and urology procedures, whereas Canada - in cancer diagnostics and orthopedics.

There are no exact stats on either side, just approximations on a national level, but there are stats in every hospital providing treatments.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Quote:

I have access to just ONE hospital stats (can have to more, but I don't feel like it) - and even ONE small community hospital on the South East Florida provides tens of procedures every year to Canadians.

if any hospital just in South East Florida coast provides 50-100 operative procedures every year - it is hundreds of thousands just for Florida. Opeartive procedures, which are the most lucrative, not dental implants

Do you have any idea how many Canadian snowbirds stay in Florida after retirement? They get admitied to hospitals where they live, and they got health troubles because thay are old.

If you're just going to throw out imaginary claims based on nothing, please sit down, the adults are talking.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

I have already stated before - I do not consider our system to be 100% perfect, very, very, very far from that.

But imposing NHS-like system is a backwards development - those are THE WORST and it is not becasue of their extreme inefficiency and rationing.

It is because of their extreme corruption.

I have WORKED both in a state-run single payer system and I am working now in American system.

It is not even comparable on possibilities and benefits to the patients - it is simply different levels.

Which does not mean that OUR system should not be reforemed.

IF anybody is serious about reforming OUR system and making it affordable - let's starts with TORT REFORM.

This and EMTALA law going crazy - those are two MAIN dirvers of extreme cost of American medicine.

NEITHER was adressed in obamacare, and, for that matter, not even discussed.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am not suggesting that the US should move to the British system ... or the Canadian one ... or the French one, etc. etc.

But our system is seriously broken. We are paying twice as much as any other developed country for health care which isn't any better than they get. Health care is eating up 18% of GDP and rising. It is a huge drag on our economy.

I don't support the ACA because that doesn't fix the problem and may even make it worse. Our system of health care provision needs drastic surgery. We need to get the cost out of the system while maintaining quality. If others can do it then so can we. I don't accept that we are too 'special' or too 'stupid' to do it.
You are at least being objective about the problem.

UHC equipped countries are going through constant adjusments to address "easily" recognized deficiencies in delivery and development. We require a system that continues to improve to address ever changing health demographics of aging populations and new forms of illnesses as they appear. We recognize the problems inherant within our respective systems.

Spending any time castigating one or the other system in a fruitless and wasted exchange of finger pointing does nothing to address the problems in either system. Defensive posturing merely serves to entrench ignored weaknesses or failures.

What I would like to see come out of all of this is a system with the ability of providing superlative healthcare to all 350 million of your citizens in either a single payer or other similar model that spreads the costs over your entire population in a fair manner.

You cannot move the hands of the clock back a hundred years to when no taxes were collected for anything. You cannot now regress to the state where it was every man for himself in the demonstrably inferior "only the strong and self sufficient survive" model. Those days are gone forever.

Recognizing that the "purely for profit" provision of any type of essential service, just does not work, is the first step in acknowledging changes need to be of the "bold and unfamiliar" type.

Yours should be one of the "spectacular and unparalleled" examples for the rest of the world to follow and not the current "avoid at all costs" observed.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am not suggesting that the US should move to the British system ... or the Canadian one ... or the French one, etc. etc.

But our system is seriously broken. We are paying twice as much as any other developed country for health care which isn't any better than they get. Health care is eating up 18% of GDP and rising. It is a huge drag on our economy.

I don't support the ACA because that doesn't fix the problem and may even make it worse. Our system of health care provision needs drastic surgery. We need to get the cost out of the system while maintaining quality. If others can do it then so can we. I don't accept that we are too 'special' or too 'stupid' to do it.

Here is the thing about health care. It costs money. You can either pay for it directly, through an insurance company, or through markedly increased income/sales/VAT taxes. You will pay for it, one way or the other. The places that liberals point to as shining examples all have ridiculously higher tax burdens than we do. So don't be confused by the notion of "free" health care. People are paying for it. The higher your income, the more you get to pay for another person's medical care. We already have that in the form of Medicare, but now the liberal crowd has determined we need to just go whole hog and move to European style socialized medicine. It is simply fiscally unsustainable. It doesn't work. The NHS is broke.

Your assertions that the care we receive is no better than other countries is just plain wrong. I have lived, not visited, but lived in 4 European countries, and have seen and in some cases had to use their health care systems. They are not close to the level care we have in the US.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Once again you don't fail to perform as expected.

The Center for Disease Control is consigned to a blog status along with a plethora of non-blog reportage by credible writers working for some respected news agencies.

Strange how you consign everything to the B.S. status then procede to spread a bunch of the stuff in your usual manner.

Another article:

Debunking Canadian health care myths - The Denver Post

You must surely realize that for every time you characterize all of these links I'm posting, written by YOUR press as just B.S., you lose another fraction of your credibility with your own citizens reading these.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Here is the thing about health care. It costs money. You can either pay for it directly, through an insurance company, or through markedly increased income/sales/VAT taxes. You will pay for it, one way or the other. The places that liberals point to as shining examples all have ridiculously higher tax burdens than we do. So don't be confused by the notion of "free" health care. People are paying for it. The higher your income, the more you get to pay for another person's medical care. We already have that in the form of Medicare, but now the liberal crowd has determined we need to just go whole hog and move to European style socialized medicine. It is simply fiscally unsustainable. It doesn't work. The NHS is broke.

Your assertions that the care we receive is no better than other countries is just plain wrong. I have lived, not visited, but lived in 4 European countries, and have seen and in some cases had to use their health care systems. They are not close to the level care we have in the US.
Higher perhaps; ridiculously; NOPE!

Debunking Canadian health care myths - The Denver Post

How does your Veteran's Assistance medical care system work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies