U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,443 posts, read 26,122,270 times
Reputation: 7405

Advertisements

"From Occupy.com:

"For a large number of state lobbyists, a full state pension is part of the benefits package. Despite being employees of private organizations and drawing private salaries — sometimes in excess of any state employee’s — in at least 20 states, hundreds receive state-paid retirement benefits…

"The states that have such provisions include Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Washington State."


Say What? Lobbyists Are Getting Public Pensions in Some States | JONATHAN TURLEY

This should outrage liberals, conservatives, centrists, libertarians, monarchists, etc. alike.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
 
41,060 posts, read 23,286,236 times
Reputation: 13838
What do Obama supporters care? They are the 47%ers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM
 
41,823 posts, read 46,228,173 times
Reputation: 17774
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post


This should outrage liberals, conservatives, centrists, libertarians, monarchists, etc. alike.
I'd agree, such practices need to be abolished, here's another exmaple:


Governments paying union employees millions a year to perform union work | Nevada Journal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
 
808 posts, read 616,639 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"From Occupy.com:

"For a large number of state lobbyists, a full state pension is part of the benefits package. Despite being employees of private organizations and drawing private salaries — sometimes in excess of any state employee’s — in at least 20 states, hundreds receive state-paid retirement benefits…

"The states that have such provisions include Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Washington State."


Say What? Lobbyists Are Getting Public Pensions in Some States | JONATHAN TURLEY

This should outrage liberals, conservatives, centrists, libertarians, monarchists, etc. alike.
it should.

this is racket of a taxpayers money
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
 
4,740 posts, read 9,545,208 times
Reputation: 4167
Alabama is on the list because the AEA teacher's union bosses received state retirement pensions, however when the Republicans took over the State Legislature (after 137 years of Democratic Party rule) one of the first actions the GOP took was to abolish the practice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM
 
5,089 posts, read 4,008,864 times
Reputation: 4945
Public sector pensions need to disappear. If you are paid with taxpayer dollars, then we can no longer afford to keep you on the pension plan.

If IBM gave up pensions in lieu of 401k's, then you know it's time for the public sector to follow suit.

And lobbyists don't deserve ANYTHING. EVER.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM
 
3,040 posts, read 2,375,254 times
Reputation: 664
It's bribery. Just in a "legal" form.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,949 posts, read 11,074,730 times
Reputation: 5139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Alabama is on the list because the AEA teacher's union bosses received state retirement pensions, however when the Republicans took over the State Legislature (after 137 years of Democratic Party rule) one of the first actions the GOP took was to abolish the practice.
If you are trying to point out that this is some type of blue state problem, I'd request you look at the list of states again that engage in this outrage. Both red and blue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,038 posts, read 32,448,691 times
Reputation: 7854
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What do Obama supporters care? They are the 47%ers.
Actually Romney got the 47% unless you mean you have a hatred for old people, handicap people, college students, military, and the working poor. Do you mean those 47%?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top