Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernesther View Post
Employment is not bootcamp..whether he used the N word or not, verbally demeaning employees is harassment. If there is a problem or issue to be addressed, memos or staff meetings are appropriate.. not having NA/AA flashbacks..Kudos to the guy kicking the dope habit even without the slur, he was wrong..
Your work experience is VERY limited isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your work experience is VERY limited isn't it.

That person must have never worked in the service industry!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM

87 posts, read 78,269 times
I do agree if the employer felt that strongly about the lady, a warning or termination..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 AM

I do office work..

So no, I'm not accustomed to managers and higher ups acting grossly unprofessional.
Since my state is an at-will state, you just get fired..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM

I'm also aware that my state..PA..has laws protecting employers from being secretly recorded..The employer HAS to give consent. Had that incident happened here, that lady's recording wouldn't not have been admissible due to the fact that consent wasn't given by the employer. A few states have similar laws..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I'm also aware that my state..PA..has laws protecting employers from being secretly recorded..The employer HAS to give consent. Had that incident happened here, that lady's recording wouldn't not have been admissible due to the fact that consent wasn't given by the employer. A few states have similar laws..
Well you could use the argument that the NSA doesn't require consent.
And a few recent cases are trying to get the NSA and their data collection antics into court cases one way or another.

If the NSA/DEA/FBI/CIA/etc. can do it then why can't other Americans ?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's also ignored in school by teachers.

"Wat up my n*gga" between two Black students doesn't even get a blink of an eye.
Not EVER by this teacher. They were treated to a lecture on the sacrifices people made for them not to be called derogatory terms based on race like that and a call home to parents the first time. The second time they get detention with an assignment to research and write about the history of the word - and I stayed late to help them. I did the same thing with the word "wiggar".

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I do office work..

So no, I'm not accustomed to managers and higher ups acting grossly unprofessional.
Since my state is an at-will state, you just get fired..
That's probably the disconnect. I also work in an office but I have friends that work in other less professional environments, they are 2 different worlds.

Just a few weeks ago my buddies neighbors were getting their roof replaced and they had to call police because 2 of the workers started going after each other with hammers etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Employment law in PA is extremely rigid..I suppose if a federal agent provided proof it probably would be admissible in court..

But for the rest of us, the "Two-Party" consent law states that both parties have to consent to being recorded. Unfortunately even if you feel you have just cause to prove discrimination, without the other parties consent, the evidence would be inadmissible in a court. *sucks*

Unless there's a union involved, in PA, its hard to prove being a victim of discrimination or harassment. The employer can get rid of you before anything gets sticky. That's why they don't yell and scream at you. They don't have to. Your just replaced..

Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Mathguy..

Oh my..lol..

Were they able to finish the roof despite the ruckus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies