Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the ruling is not surprising. The people using that word were VERY unprofessional and it should not be used at all IMO and especially not in the workplace no matter who is using it and I'm black and don't want to hear it.

But I don't think it is a double standard. I don't see where that would come into play. IMO, the double standard is into play in regards to the Paula Deen case in that the complainant was a white person who took offense at the N word. The court ruled in that case, that the white female could not sue over the word, and I feel that is a double standard, not this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernesther View Post
I do office work..

So no, I'm not accustomed to managers and higher ups acting grossly unprofessional.
Since my state is an at-will state, you just get fired..
You are lucky. I have worked primarily in office environments during my adult years and I have seen some of the most unprofessional managers, CEOs, etc. than I can count. One of our CEOS actually cursed out a Regional Manager in front of us - and he was a former lawyer. It made me very uncomfortable and I wasn't the one getting cursed out - the RM was in tears at the end of that meeting and it was in front of about 12 people that this happened. That was the worse, but that same CEO cursed or yelled to excess to many employees. We are in a right to work/at-will state as well. The CEO at that company was the worse and was the boss, so the only recourse would have been a harassment complaint or filing with the EEOC. The Regional Manager left and I heard she did sue the company. The CEO had been sued before due to his behavior and I know due to the fact that I handled settlement claim for HR that he settled out of court with at least 2 employees - who were upper management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The court case itself is about double standard.
The argument was that saying it Black to Black was not offensive or discriminatory.

Maybe you need to READ the OP link.

Had the employer been White there would be no court case about "context".
There would be no court case ..... Period.
The white boss would have been fired and in many cases (especially if you do ANY business with Government), any other employee who knew of the offense and did not report it could also be fired.
This is a serious offense in business and it's illegal to subject an employee to even a N---- comment, much less a "4 minute Tirade".

Anyone who doubts that should give it a try and see what happens. There is no "free pass" just because a Black boss does this to another Black employee and especially when that employee is female. The accusation with zero proof is often enough to get a another person fired - a tape recording is always going to trump, which is why this woman used a tape recorder to prove the allegation.

The premise (and defense in this particular case) that it's "OK" and not harassment or offensive just because both the 'boss' and the 'employee' were Black is a double standard that the Court is not going to allow. Nobody gets a 'free pass' just because of skin color when it comes to harassment, racist remarks and the Law ..... at least not in this court.

It's very interesting that some are actually defending the "defense", but it's not all that surprising in view of the nutty stuff we have seen happening in the last several years. People are getting real tired of this garbage.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM

87 posts, read 78,301 times
I guess I am lucky..

Most of my jobs have been in healthcare or insurance..medical collections, insurance sales and enrollment, etc..

I've seen employees acting wild..fights in parking lots..

I have heard some crazy tales about attorneys offices from acquaintances..very similar to what was described..

I really believe stress contributes to folks acting out at times..in prior sales positions I've had, I've seen co-workers bend from management pressure regarding numbers..Collections too..

But I rarely see management or corporate employees behaving in such a manner. If you get called into a meeting, it may be cause for worry. But screaming and cursing..belittling someone..never..they tell you in the nicest way.."You're fired.." lmao..

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, the ruling is not surprising. The people using that word were VERY unprofessional and it should not be used at all IMO and especially not in the workplace no matter who is using it and I'm black and don't want to hear it.

But I don't think it is a double standard. I don't see where that would come into play. IMO, the double standard is into play in regards to the Paula Deen case in that the complainant was a white person who took offense at the N word. The court ruled in that case, that the white female could not sue over the word, and I feel that is a double standard, not this case.
I didn't follow the Deen case so I am not familiar with that ruling but it seems to me that it's being pointed out that the double standard is not in the ruling but rather the defense.

The defense is arguing that it's O.K. for a black to call a black that but not for a white person. Now there is indeed no double standard in the ruling which is maybe where the confusion comes in.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't follow the Deen case so I am not familiar with that ruling but it seems to me that it's being pointed out that the double standard is not in the ruling but rather the defense.

The defense is arguing that it's O.K. for a black to call a black that but not for a white person. Now there is indeed no double standard in the ruling which is maybe where the confusion comes in.
The ruling backed up that there should be no double standard.
But it was tried as the defense and that's the argument.

A White person would never see the inside of a courtroom/

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if you really need this explained to you, i suggest you go actually read the story in the link.

oh hell, i guess i have time to coach you thru it
Totally depends on the context and the relationship with who your talking too.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I don't think controversial words should be used in the work place. Period!

It reads as if the boss used it in a derogatory way and that is not acceptable regardless of color. If you cant choose your words and talk to people then you don't need the job.

Even in casual conversation that is non offensive has no place at work. I know I would never tolerate it!

Otoh, if a White person riding home on the train hear two Black kids using ***** between themselves and you automatically assume you can use it with any Black person without issue, youre not very wise.

I do not like the word and I would never allow it to be used in my home. You cannot control or legislate the word out of existence. Some Whites want a free pass on the word because they hear Blacks saying it and it won't happen.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
according to a federal jury, it doesn't.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
No it doesn't apparently.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I hear it at school all the time among the kids.
I cringe every time I hear it.
Lol... I don't believe that for a second. You hear a word that you know is not being used offensively, and you cringe... yet you're on here everyday reading your fellow Conservatives describe Blacks as a whole as second-class citizens, and you don't bat an eye...

Riiiiiiiiiight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies