Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times

Advertisements

where in the constitution does it say that bakeries have to bake wedding cakes for gay couples even if it goes against their religious convictions?

And I agree with an earlier post that this smells of militant gay couples trying to start trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You can refuse for any reason that doesn't violate law.

Where a state has a law that protects based on sexuality, however, the reason for your "no service" cannot be because the people are gay, or they want something for a gay event.

Now, if the bakery NEVER did any wedding cakes whatsoever, then they wouldn't have been in the wrong for refusing a cake for a gay wedding celebration.

(Which begs another question - the cake is not the wedding. The cake has nothing to do with the ceremony itself. It's merely a part of a celebration AFTER the wedding itself. So really, the Xtian bakers just tie themselves in knots trying to explain away their discrimination).

Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
A person can claim insane and many use religious beliefs for the crimes they commit, doesn't mean they get away with it. Doesn't mean they follow Christ either.

Maybe, the baker should have charged extra and thought money instead of personal feelings. I really don't know why anyone of any sexual preference or color would want someone making a cake for them that wasn't glad they walked into their business.

Kind of strange all these "gay wedding cake or bakers who won't bake" issues are considered political.
The couple had been to the bakery several times before, one of the mothers of the bride got her second wedding cake there. Why wouldn't they choose a bakery they had done business with before? They never had problems before this order.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe that if your a public business you shouldn't discriminate on anyone based on religion, race, gender, sexuality, etc. You should treat everybody the same. I agree with the poster above though that you should be able to refuse customers who are rude, unruly, or do harm to your business.

Everybody should be judged on a case by case basis.
I agree with this. No one ever said that the couple were rude. In fact everything was going fine until the baker asked the name of the bride and groom, and the lady said it was two brides and gave their names. THEN the baker said that he wouldn't bake the cake.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
where in the constitution does it say that bakeries have to bake wedding cakes for gay couples even if it goes against their religious convictions?

And I agree with an earlier post that this smells of militant gay couples trying to start trouble.
STATE anti-discrimination law.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post

STATE constitution and laws.

This has nothing to do with the federal constitution.

In terms of "militancy" I believe it was the BAKER who chose to make it a really big issue. And now has paid the price because contrary to what many even here on CD believe, being a bigot against sexual orientation is NOT accepted by the majority of people in this country anymore. Those days are over.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
oh I see, we pretend "religious freedom" exists but don't want to practice it.
got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
STATE anti-discrimination law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.