Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonker View Post
My ethnic group never had immigration laws. I'm an original American. How about you?
American Indians came from Asia, I'm guessing you're part AI?

Tho I'm 100 percent sure if a bunch of other Indians try to enter the land the Apache roamed on; there'd be a real nasty fight and many people would've died.

None of which means anything in 2013. It' just history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So do you also support unlimited immigration to the USA for all Europeans and Canadians? Or only from all Latin American nations? Or just unlimited immigration from Mexico and other Central American nations? Do you believe there should be no immigration laws in the USA only - but countries like Mexico can limit immigration? Do you support unlimited immigration from all Asian and African nations?

And would you say that Mexicans are racist because their country does have immigration laws and would certainly never allow 1/5 of Americans to move into Mexico? I have never once seen a La Raza type demand that his/her own country end all immigration laws and allow everyone to move into Mexico.
all great questions. enough to drive the bots bonkers.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,815 times
Freedom of movement, freedom to live where you want, and freedom to work where you want ARE basic human rights.

Some of you have your heads so far up your asses you just can't see that for some reason.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Quote:
So do you also support unlimited immigration to the USA for all Europeans and Canadians? Or only from all Latin American nations? Or just unlimited immigration from Mexico and other Central American nations? Do you believe there should be no immigration laws in the USA only - but countries like Mexico can limit immigration? Do you support unlimited immigration from all Asian and African nations?
all great questions. enough to drive the bots bonkers.
I'll take a stab at them:

So do you also support unlimited immigration to the USA for all Europeans and Canadians? Yes

Or only from all Latin American nations? Not "only", anywhere

Or just unlimited immigration from Mexico and other Central American nations? Not "only", anywhere

Do you believe there should be no immigration laws in the USA only - but countries like Mexico can limit immigration? No, Mexico should not limit immigration either. No country should have immigration laws

Do you support unlimited immigration from all Asian and African nations? Yes

Pretty easy.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Only east of the iron curtain and liberal universities can some organization be proud of banning a 'word' and limiting speech.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonker View Post
My ethnic group never had immigration laws. I'm an original American. How about you?
If you are a Native American, how did that "no immigration laws" work out for your people?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
The government (IRS) still calls them aliens.

Taxation of Resident Aliens

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The government (IRS) still calls them aliens.

Taxation of Resident Aliens
Sure, but also strangely calls them "aliens" even they are "non-resident", and have never been in the United States: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1040NR,-...ome-Tax-Return

An "alien" can thus be an immigrant with legal residency here, to a foreigner living somewhere else...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 09-05-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
This is not a complicated concept, and I "got it" from the second I read the OP.

But um, innocent until proven guilty doesn't protect you from stigma. It protects you from the government locking your ass up. Outside of that context, the concept is nothing more than your own personal preference. Thus irrelevant.
It may be irrelevant to you and me, but the guys at UCLA see it differently. That's their prerogative. Personally, I think it preposterous nitpicking, but sometimes, that's what needs to be done in order to affect change in a society. Many people didn't think that calling blacks the N-word was a big deal. What's wrong with it? They are what they are. It took a bit of effort (and still takes effort) to eradicate such usage.

Is PC out of control? You betcha - everybody can be offended about everything.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
It may be irrelevant to you and me, but the guys at UCLA see it differently. That's their prerogative. Personally, I think it preposterous nitpicking, but sometimes, that's what needs to be done in order to affect change in a society. Many people didn't think that calling blacks the N-word was a big deal. What's wrong with it? They are what they are. It took a bit of effort (and still takes effort) to eradicate such usage.

Is PC out of control? You betcha - everybody can be offended about everything.
So you are comparing using derogatory words towards "American" blacks to using lawful immigration terms to non-citizens who violated our immigration laws? Really? It's the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies