Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

535 posts, read 967,047 times

Advertisements

This debate come up every Labor Day.
John Kitzhaber tells organized labor he'll fight Oregon measure aimed at public employee unions | OregonLive.com

Should the US be Right To Work or Forced Union?

A Right-to-Work state forbids workers from being fired for non-payment of union dues or fees.

A Forced Union state allows unions to negotiate contracts with companies that require union dues and/or fees to be paid. If a worker refuses to pay union dues or fees (often referred to as agency fees), or falls behind, the union can demand that the worker be fired from the company. The company, by contract, must comply and fire the worker.

When considering various approaches to reforming unions in the United States it is important to understand exactly what right-to-work means. Because right-to-work does NOT take away the right of unions to organize employees. It simply means that employees who don’t want to belong to a union don’t have to. It forces a union to be more accountable to their members. And it preserves the ability of people who don’t want to join unions from being excluded from job opportunities in unionized workplaces.

Right-to-work advocates argue that no person should be forced to become a union member or to provide financial support for a labor organization as a condition of employment. Such compulsion is said to be contrary to the U.S. concept of individual rights and freedom of association. It is also alleged that compulsory unionism enables large labor organizations to exert excessive power in the workplace and in the political arena.

Organized labor believes that right-to-work laws allow free riders at the expense of their fellow workers. Opponents of these laws argue that everyone should pay a proportionate share of the costs of the union in negotiating contract benefits that will go to all. Unions also maintain that the real objective of right-to-work laws is to sow dissension among workers and thus weaken the labor movement.
From:Right-to-Work Laws legal definition of Right-to-Work Laws. Right-to-Work Laws synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Right-to-work.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Right-to-Work

Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
CO is a right to work state wich I love,the map is wrong on us.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
RTW has been great for me as both an employee and employer.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
I thought IN was now RTW

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,259 times
Unions...

RTW is horrible, evil and selfish.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Unions...

How so?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Unions...

You think I am evil and selfish for providing my skill where and when I want at the compensation I ask for. Well next time you need a Carpenter get a union one.He will have no tools except basic hand tools,tape pencil hammer etc.You are required to provide the rest at Your expense.So just because I am fully equipped carry 2000000$ in liability ins and do better work pass me up for the union guy at twice the price and half the quality,and don't forget the union laborer as regs say the carp can't carry or move material to the immediate work area.been there done that and quit 23 yrs ago and acyually make more money now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies