Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
These kinds of people always existed. In the 70s, people did the same thing with records.
It's no where near the same. Records, tapes and any of those things are not portable or easily portable. Cassette comes close but that was a PITA. If they wanted to listen to their music on that new fangled 8 track player in their car? One CD can produce a music file that can be any format I want it to be that I can use anywhere; portable music player, MP3 cd player, my computer, any smart device I have networked in my house and on an on. It's no longer tied to a single device or format and there is nothing on the horizon that is better at least as far as the average person is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Patent/copyright law needs to specific to each industry. Current patent law in the pharmaceutical industry is too short while current patent/copyright law in the software industry is stunting innovation.
I'd agree that it has to be looked at for different types of patents, the trouble is tech is moving so fast by the time the patent runs out it's useless to anyone else.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Copyright and patent laws are fundamental building blocks of a capitalists society. You cannot expect someone to work for weeks, months or years and then not have the means to be compensated for it. Why bother unless you're doing it becsue you love it? Certainly some artists may do it but the masses won't.

That said there needs to be some changes to both copyright and patent. Copyright is far too long and patent laws are abused regularly.
Note : selling someone else's production or invention is criminal... no objections there.
But making a non-commercial copy should not be a crime.
Of course, with software, no one "sells" it, anyway. That's how the lawyers danced around the issue - by EULA. All you buy now is the permission to use it.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
Obviously.... "Knowledge" was not "key" in making this thread or the twisted logic behind it

As a musician, I am sure that you downloading my music without paying is theft and hope you will be prosecuted and have a criminal record afterward

I will not lose one second of sleep whatsoever over you being prosecuted for theft as you know that you are stealing and don't care because you think you are better than others

I don't download music. I stream it through Youtube or Grooveshark.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
I cant believe this thread is still going..

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Your computer needs to download it, in order to play the stream.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
But making a non-commercial copy should not be a crime.
That depends on what the non commercial use is, if you're ripping a copy of CD for your friend...

Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Whether it's streamed or a file it's still infringement if the copy is unauthorized.

As far as Youtube goes this was already covered, those videos are allowed to exist because the copyright owner is taking a cut of the ad revenue. If the owner wants it removed, it's gone. Do you really think those songs with millions of hits have gone under the radar? LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't feel bad going and getting a bit torrent download of windows that I've already paid for because I can't find the damn disk I used a year ago.
If you couldn't find your camera when you needed it, is it OK for you to get another one by stealing it just because you paid for it once already?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I cant believe this thread is still going..
It continues because the OP keeps copying his point over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies