Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A perfect example of why people should steal all they can from those sharks.
So if I think you are a 'shark' am I allowed to break into your home and take your stuff?

Stop justifying slimy behavior just to get away with being cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Eh most of the crap coming out nowadays isn't worth paying for anyway. I pay for quality.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
piracy is theft

making a copy is not piracy...its just your copy...a back up

making a copy and selling it, is piracy...you are STEALING THE PRODUCTION and PROFIT from the ACTUAL MAKER
Since they never got the money, it is impossible to steal it from them.

It's a moot point, besides, getting convicted for copyright infringement is way worse than getting convicted for stealing a 20 dollar DVD.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Since they never got the money, it is impossible to steal it from them.

It's a moot point, besides, getting convicted for copyright infringement is way worse than getting convicted for stealing a 20 dollar DVD.
So if I come and take your paycheck, before you receive it, then you're all fine and dandy with it?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So if I come and take your paycheck, before you receive it, then you're all fine and dandy with it?
False impersonation, copyright infringement, larceny - all these things are illegal. They are different crimes because the elements of the crimes are different.

If you took my check, that would be larceny. If you copied my music and sold it, that would be copyright infringement. If you assumed my identity to take out loans, that would be false impersonation/identity fraud.

I would not be fine with any of them, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize that they are different crimes.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Digitalizing their content is like leaving their safe door open during public tours and not watching it.

We are supposed to feel sorry for them why?

They are making TONS of money on digital recordings of their material. They are losing a small percentage. People like me, who pays for all the content I use makes them rich.

They want it ALL, their greed is their problem. Who cares if college kids get some stuff for free. It's their cost of doing business. Either that, or put their movies back on film and their music back on vinyl.

It's their choice.
It is more than a few college kids. And because they don't pay for stuff, you and I pay more.

You wouldn't steal a Porsche, even if you wanted it. You probably wouldn't steal it even if it was parked on the street with the keys in it. That's because you would get caught and put in jail. People pirate copyrighted works because it is easy and they can get away with it. Some (like you) have a stick-it-to-the-man attitude. If you want to do that, don't consume it all. You don't have to.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you work for the government? LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Again, how does the producer lose out from piracy? He loses nothing. He wasn't deprived of anything.
Because you didn't buy what you are copying! If there was no piracy, you'd have to go by it. They lost a sale!!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quite a few FELONS in this thread admitting so on a public forum. Got some smart ones around.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Because you didn't buy what you are copying! If there was no piracy, you'd have to go by it. They lost a sale!!
Of course, this supposes that the person downloading an illegal copy would have purchased a legal copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies