Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,907,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Expected sales volume and revenue are inputs in the pricing decision. Someone might sell a product for $20 based on projected sales of 50,000 units.

If 10,000 people pirate the product, resulting in sales of only 40,000, the cost of piracy is $200,000.

If the producer works that out in advance - if they expect 10,000 pirated copies - they would price it at $25 (40,000 expected sales).

The cost of piracy in this case is found to be $5 for each purchaser. Piracy has a cost, even if it isn't obvious.
That's just voodoo math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,601,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
That's just voodoo math.

"A federal court in Massachusetts today upheld a $675,000 damages award against Joel Tenenbaum, who was accused of illegally downloading 31 songs from a file-sharing Web site and distributing them and was sued by the main recording companies in the U.S. . . . The penalty is at the low end of the range for willful infringement and below the limit for even nonwillful infringement, and thus was not excessive, the judge ruled. "In light of these factors, a rational appraisal of the evidence before the jury, viewed in the light most favorable to the verdict, supports the damages award," the judge wrote."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57499519-38/court-affirms-$675000-penalty-in-music-downloading-case/

Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

"A federal court in Massachusetts today upheld a $675,000 damages award against Joel Tenenbaum, who was accused of illegally downloading 31 songs from a file-sharing Web site and distributing them and was sued by the main recording companies in the U.S. . . . The penalty is at the low end of the range for willful infringement and below the limit for even nonwillful infringement, and thus was not excessive, the judge ruled. "In light of these factors, a rational appraisal of the evidence before the jury, viewed in the light most favorable to the verdict, supports the damages award," the judge wrote."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57499519-38/court-affirms-$675000-penalty-in-music-downloading-case/
This doesn't do anything to prove that the recipients of the shared file would have ever purchased the material otherwise.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
This doesn't do anything to prove that the recipients of the shared file would have ever purchased the material otherwise.
Doesn't make a difference except to those who need a weak excuse to justify illegal behavior.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,070,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Expected sales volume and revenue are inputs in the pricing decision. Someone might sell a product for $20 based on projected sales of 50,000 units.

If 10,000 people pirate the product, resulting in sales of only 40,000, the cost of piracy is $200,000.

If the producer works that out in advance - if they expect 10,000 pirated copies - they would price it at $25 (40,000 expected sales).

The cost of piracy in this case is found to be $5 for each purchaser. Piracy has a cost, even if it isn't obvious.
Of course, no incentive to inflate the cost of piracy to charge a higher price. Most piracy occurs in 3rd world countries where the piraters would never purchase legitimate products at the same volume they pirate.

(that is to say, if they could not buy a pirated copy, that does not mean they are guaranteed to purchase a legitimate copy).

Quote:

How were the damages computed in that case?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make a difference except to those who need a weak excuse to justify illegal behavior.
There are many petty laws on the books. To me, the line in the sand when it comes to principles is mostly non-aggression...for the most part. Other than that, I could care less what the rationale is behind what is illegal or not. As long as I am consistent with my personal values, that's what matters.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
There are many petty laws on the books. To me, the line in the sand when it comes to principles is mostly non-aggression...for the most part. Other than that, I could care less what the rationale is behind what is illegal or not. As long as I am consistent with my personal values, that's what matters.
To translate: you are willing to take what doesn't belong to you as long as you are consistent about it? You could at least try to care more about the person who produced the original work.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
To translate: you are willing to take what doesn't belong to you as long as you are consistent about it? You could at least try to care more about the person who produced the original work.
Personally, I don't download pirated software. I have, and if it was useful, I bought it. How does that work out?

I support artists and devs that I enjoy, however, I have a big dog in the fight against IP. Which is why I appreciate the anti-establishment approach of the pirate community.

People should be paid a flat fee for their work...period.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You mean "lack of personal values."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
How were the damages computed in that case?
Statutory per infringed work. This is a good overview of the appeals that have occurred: http://msk2.inherent.com/images/cms/...pt_2012-FO.pdf

Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't download pirated software. I have, and if it was useful, I bought it. How does that work out?

I support artists and devs that I enjoy, however, I have a big dog in the fight against IP. Which is why I appreciate the anti-establishment approach of the pirate community.

People should be paid a flat fee for their work...period.
You don't support artists and developers with the attitude you have right now. People SHOULD be paid a flat fee for their work. A flat fee per person using the software. Who are you to decide how an artist or developer decides to charge for their product? If an artist decides to charge a single fee per song/movie, then great. If they decide to charge for every time a person watches it, they are free to do that as well.

You don't get to ignore the illegal acts you commit simply because you don't like the payment structure an artist or developer came up with. That would be the same thing as you jumping the fence at an amusement park because you 'paid last year'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies