Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But how is it stealing?
If you steal a blank disk the value is about $0.25, if you steal a movie DVD from Wal-Mart the value might be $10 and you'll get a slap on the wrist. If you steal a disc with an expensive piece of software that is valued at many thousands of dollars you're in a whole lot of trouble.

The value of DVD is not the plastic disc but the value of the content. Why would that be any different if it's just a file?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I don't feel bad going and getting a bit torrent download of windows that I've already paid for because I can't find the damn disk I used a year ago.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
This is almost worth an infraction...

Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't feel bad going and getting a bit torrent download of windows that I've already paid for because I can't find the damn disk I used a year ago.
Perfectly legal - you already purchased a license.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

and if you registered it like a good consumer, a call to customer support would have sent you that disc for free (if you push hard enough)

However, you are legal to do so since you already own the license, and are going to use that license to reinstall

what is not allowed is using your license on multiple computers (unless you have purchased a multi-use license) or using the license that was associated with the torrent\.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For this argument to work you would have to explain how producer makes money if everyone pirated their content.

The producer loses money in many ways, firstly there is people that pirate music that otherwise would have purchased it.

Secondly it dilutes the value of the product. If for example I have this fantastic video editing program and and can sell it for $20K per pop to the high end market why are they going to buy if Joe Schmoe can download it for free? You have lost the exclusivity which devalues it. You can apply this to any scale but it gets the point across better using this example.
Due to technology, digital media is no longer a viable business model. It's called Abundance. Blame the technology, not the users.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
So when you went to your friends house to watch a movie you were stealing from the creator, and therefore breaking the law?
No because your friend has license that allows him to display that content in non commercial setting setting.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Not if I don't have proof I did even though I did. Sorry I don't have every license of every piece of software I've ever bought. I doubt many do. Look if they want to jail everybody for pirating some software or MP3's or what have you then they would just have to lock everybody in their homes and put em on house arrest. Pirating is a stupid term anyway. I call it borrowing because the crap PC's they make now will blow up in a year anyway and you gotta get a new one with all the BS loaded on to start over with anyway.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
and if you registered it like a good consumer, a call to customer support would have sent you that disc for free (if you push hard enough)

However, you are legal to do so since you already own the license, and are going to use that license to reinstall

what is not allowed is using your license on multiple computers (unless you have purchased a multi-use license) or using the license that was associated with the torrent\.
Sorry I don't want to sit around for two weeks or beg these crooks to give me my software. If I can't get hold of a buddy it's off to the torrent site if need be.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Due to technology, digital media is no longer a viable business model.
Who says so? You? b wahah . you have demonstrated over and over again, that you don't even know what a copyright is, what intellectual property is, what a patent is, and what a license is, and you expect us to know that you know what a "viable" business model is?

Digital media has been around since the 1960's .

Quote:
It's called Abundance. Blame the technology, not the users.
Abundance has nothing to do with digital media and business viability.

Photoshop is the most used Graphics software around. they've been selling the product (a digital media product) for the last 23 years. It's also one the most pirated software programs around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies