Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Just like Lee Iacoca who decided in the 70's that it was cheaper to pay off the families of a few dead people than it was to make changes to the Pinto. Got it. Cost-Benefit analysis often doesn't come out in favor of the human good.

Plus, it only comes into play IF you get caught.
Let me explain this one last time. If we had a bad ass don't give a **** about the environment company drilling with absolutely no government oversight that can do whatever the hell they want..... they are going to drill a well that protects the ground water because that is what their economic interests dictate.

Is that clear enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I live no more than 1 mile from not 1 but 3 fracking sites. I live within 10 miles of at least 15 fracking sites. No dead trees, My well water has not been compromised and the only annoyance is the truck traffic.
Where they put the pad is an eyesore for about 3 months until the grass they plant etc takes root.
2 or 3 jobs?
Well I can tell you in an area where it was work on the farm or try and get in at the mill the gas companies have brought a lot of work in. I know at least 25 people who went from a $10 an hour job to a $20.00 an hour job.
As for Dimock PA? Everyone who lives here laughs because Dimock PA always had methane in their water.
Now lets talk revenue. Farmers who were living below poverty level are now living quite well. Some got as much as 5000 an acre for the gas rights. My neighbor who has 300 acre got 2950 an acre. As did I.
Royalty checks have resulted in a boon for hundreds of poor farmers. My average royalty check amounts to right at $150.00 an acre. So yeah I don't mind that $1500 a month going into my retirement.

When they redrilled & fracked my first well(I have to share with 3 neighbors) starting last November, they had a flame within 3 weeks, So, the first of December, was when it was pumping from just the pressure.
First of March, I got a royalty check for $326,000. That is not including the lease money.

Now that it has a jack pump, it brings about $52,000 a month.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let me explain this one last time. If we had a bad ass don't give a **** about the environment company drilling with absolutely no government oversight that can do whatever the hell they want..... they are going to drill a well that protects the ground water because that is what their economic interests dictate.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not an expert on the subject. But, what do they do with the waste water? Locally, one guy was recently caught dumping directly into the city's storm sewers. Even assuming nothing illegal happens, though, I believe they use the old wells for disposal of waste water. And while I certainly believe you when you say that these wells are designed to prevent contamination of ground water, (and ground water from contaminating the well) I'm not sure I'd put my money on one of these well casings lasting forever, as a storage unit for waste water.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
But, what do they do with the waste water?
I don't know what they do with all of it but I believe most of it is processed at a waste water facility to meet EPA regs and discharged back into the environment.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The truck traffic is the only real concerns I hear. They are indeed rough on the roads.
I can assure you, they pay for the damage they cause, and then some.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I know electricians and pipe fitters who are locals who went to work for the gas Chesapeake.

My CHK stock is up over 52%, and I bought it less than a year ago. I'm thinking about getting more, before it skyrockets even further. I'm also thinking about picking up some ExxonMobil stock, too. They own XTO, which is working on the gas drilling up there as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You must not live in a fracking area. Here in southcentral Texas we are in a long drought...water is vital to the area. Ecah fracking well used about 3 million gallons of sweet water to produce oil or nat gas.

In the Eagle Ford Shale area there are about 1200 oil leases producing oil. That is a whole hell of a lot of fresh water usage.

If you drive to the small towns and counties, they are in a boom, but there is also the real headache of infrastructure...such as county services that can accomodate the 24/7 production.

Tax dollars are coming in but the counties cant keep the roads...used by all residents maintained with small staff and aged equipment.

To hire staff and buy equipment takes people. The region is having a hard time to keep people at lower wages as the oil patch is paying so well. McDonalds and burger Kings are paying 15.00 dollars an hour to keep staff 24 hours.

If a burger flipper is making 15 an hour, who is going to want to work on a county road crew in Texas August heat at county wages?

TxDOT wants to change Eagle Ford area roads to gravel roads - YouTube
Texas makes a LOT of money on the movement of that equipment. It's my business to know. Maybe you should take it up with the state, because the energy companies are paying them TONS of money, specifically to use the roads.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I can assure you, they pay for the damage they cause, and then some.
They could be, I don't know. I was just saying that was the only complaint I've heard.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:

I think that's naive wishful thinking that ignores human behavior. They will drill a well that maximizes their profits. If something goes wrong, they'll apologize, claim that it was an oversight, let some heads roll, and move on.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
I don't know what they do with all of it but I believe most of it is processed at a waste water facility to meet EPA regs and discharged back into the environment.
I have no confidence that the EPA or state environmental departments have the resources to monitor processed wastewater anymore than they had the ability to monitor drilling in the gulf. They use extremely high amounts of water that are is in short supply and drinking water, water rights will be a rather large issue in the decades to come.

How do you dispose of chemical like benzene or process them, many of these companies will not even disclose their proprietary fracking materials. Discharged back into the environment begs much explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies