Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the words "Under God" be removed from Pledge of Allegiance?
Yes, remove it 42 53.16%
No, keep it 30 37.97%
No opinion/don't care 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Get rid of it. I'm an atheist and it's offensive to me. I don't want to hear or see anything about God anywhere in my life.
What about the 90% of Americans who believe in God?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ban the entire pledge from being said at school.
All because of one family.

Really ?

It's not removing the word "God", it's banning the entire pledge.

I guess it's all part and parcel of becoming a global citizen..allegiance to no one country.
Most people are indifferent either way. We should remove the words under God, but who really cares? Also, outside of elementary school, who says the pledge?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This, all of it, every single word. Bravo.
Wow. I'm going to print this off and show it to my sister LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I think I'm the only one who dislikes the idea of the Pledge anyway. Under God or not.
I feel like if we saw video of children in other countries being told to swear their allegiance to the symbol of their country we'd all think it looked pretty disturbing.

I've mentioned my belief around my "right" friends, my "left" ones, my Christian friends and non-Christian friends and they all seem to be pretty appalled by my opinion on it, so I don't really expect to get a lot of "reps" on here for it just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone does actually agrees with me.

Also, I know it's the "in" thing here to direct your posts toward "the other guys" but remember that atheists & the left wing are two separate things. Just like Christians & the right wing are.
You are not: The whole thing reeks of fascist indoctrination. Since when does a nation that claims to be "free" feel the need to indoctrinate it's children by repeating some strange mantra that amounts to nothing other than subservience to the government?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who is getting rid of religion? We just don't want any one religion governing the country. Also, why would you be a criminal for following any one religion? Who is trying to make religion a crime? Do you notice your own holes in your statements?
Look long term, not immediate.

Religion does not govern the country. There is no government religion like in the UK.
We don't have that today, we never had that.

There is no "Church of the US" is there ?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
I have subbed in high schools. Most kids just stand there either saying nothing, or mumble their way through the pledge anyways.
You can't force them to say the pledge.

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
What about the 90% of Americans who believe in God?
Do they need to it on their money and in their pledge in order to continue as believers? It's an outdated phrase, and contrary to the real motto our founding fathers believed in "E pluribus unum".

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look long term, not immediate.

Religion does not govern the country. There is no government religion like in the UK.
We don't have that today, we never had that.

There is no "Church of the US" is there ?
That is good and I have no interest in letting any one religion run this country. Also, I take it you have no proof anyone is trying to make religion illegal other than the nutjobs that are trying to make Islam illegal?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
It is not just athiests. There are religions where saying the pledge is against their religion. Wiccan and Jehovah Witness are two that I know of. A Wiccan boy would leave the classroom. A JW Teacher Aide would go in the back and do paperwork. It wasn't about saying the word God, but a belief that by pledging and putting your hand on your heart that you were worshiping a false god, that is, the piece of cloth flag. They both told me that.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is good and I have no interest in letting any one religion run this country. Also, I take it you have no proof anyone is trying to make religion illegal other than the nutjobs that are trying to make Islam illegal?
Look at long term trends and you can see it for yourself.
It's called analysis and critical thinking..two aspects sorely missing from K-12 these days.

The immediate gratification crowd can't look past tomorrow and can't remember past yesterday.
And I think that's by design because if you don't remember your history then you'll never know when it repeats itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies