Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

I watched LaDainian Tomlinson's (LT) Football Life on the NFL Network yesterday.

He had met with one of the slaveowner's descendants, also named Tomlinson, near Waco, Texas. Some of the slave quarters were still there. Interesting stuff.

The slaveowner's descendant was able to describe LT's family history back through his great great grandfather - how he was a church leader and a community leader. Also described briefly the process how they transitioned from slave to free - saying that the owners suggested that it would be better/safer for them to stay with the owners and they would be paid for their labor - and the slave family at the county clerk chose to keep the owner's last name. Other details were also mentioned.

LT was saying afterwards how he was hesitant to revisit all of that, but afterwards how proud he felt after gaining the knowledge of his family history.

I was kind of jealous (not in a bad way) wanting to know my history past two generations.

There are probably plenty of similar accounts that are lost in history about how slaves families were very positive influences within their circle. I also understand there were many bad accounts also.

----------------------------------

My question is do you think that black/white race relations could be helped if we (blacks) knew more about our ancestors?

Also - does anyone have any accounts similar to LT where they have info about their slave ancestors that they care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
This is nothing close to the same thing,but it made me think of it. As a child, there were a handful of graves in a wooded area near where I lived. I remembered the name of one who, based on the location and date, I believed was probably a slave. I have tried to find out about her several times and have found things that said that there were not many accurate records on slaves. I'm still interested in finding out more just because I find it interesting. I can understand Tomlinson's interest and also his hesitation. In his case, it worked out well. I could see it being painful too.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
LT has always been a class act. It doesn't surprise me that he chose to share this with all of us. Really cool story.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Cool story.

There are no doubt some amazing people, and skeletons in all our closets depending on how far back we go....most of which is forever lost to time.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Also found this...

Tomlinson Hill

The story behind “A Football Life: LaDainian Tomlinsonâ€

In my search for an untold story about LaDainian, I found a hidden gem 15 miles outside of Tomlinson’s hometown of Waco, Texas, in a place called Tomlinson Hill.

Tomlinson Hill is a small community that doesn’t appear on most state maps. LaDainian’s father was the last named Tomlinson to live there. It is also where LaDainian’s ancestors were brought as slaves nearly 200 years ago. LaDainian had visited there many times as a child but hadn’t been back in years.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I suppose that it might be interesting on some level. I can understand why he might wanna look into something like that.

For me personally though, i wouldn't be too cool with that part of my family's history. Well, at least not at this point. And i surely don't wanna meet the family members of the slave owners. No way...to hell with that.

I'm far more interested in people and events in Africa...what tribe i might be descended from, what was their language, customs and religion, and things like that.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I suppose that it might be interesting on some level. I can understand why he might wanna look into something like that.

For me personally though, i wouldn't be too cool with that part of my family's history. Well, at least not at this point. And i surely don't wanna meet the family members of the slave owners. No way...to hell with that.

I'm far more interested in people and events in Africa...what tribe i might be descended from, what was their language, customs and religion, and things like that.
Just curious... don't you have to deal at some level with your family here before going back further?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Filed for later, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I've always found African-American history to be quite interesting because of stories such as this one. I think if you were to examine your family's experience in America it would probably surprise you in a good way.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just curious... don't you have to deal at some level with your family here before going back further?
Of course. I already know quite a bit already, but I don't wanna go so far as to meet the family of the slave owners. That doesn't interest me in the least.

The whole slavery thing is just something I really don't wanna deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've always found African-American history to be quite interesting because of stories such as this one. I think if you were to examine your family's experience in America it would probably surprise you in a good way.
I doubt it. I know quite a bit already, and I don't feel all that good about it outside of my ancestor's will to persevere. Thankfully every generation of my family does better than the previous one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies