U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,855,774 times

Advertisements

Not that anyone will ever accuse him of being particularly bright, but Thomas "English Muffin" Menino takes himself to a new low:

Say what?! Boston mayor apologizes for saying he'd 'blow up' Detroit

With brilliance like this, he's a lock for re-election.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,417,384 times
Quote:
Boston Mayor Tom Menino apologized on Wednesday for saying that if he were in charge of Detroit, he would “blow up the place."
He sounds like a brilliant man.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,365,819 times
He's not running for re-election.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM

18,591 posts, read 17,463,631 times
If someone blew up Detroit would anyone notice?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,365,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If someone blew up Detroit would anyone notice?
At least 705,000 people would.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM

702 posts, read 648,717 times
It is a pretty dire place, economically. Without a huge investment of capital the likes of which I don't think anyone has a taste for, it is pretty much done for. Sucks for those people that live there but at this point I would pull up stakes and start looking for greener pastures like the other million people did.

However, "blow up" is a pretty poor choice of words from a man whose city had a bunch of people get their legs blown off by a pressure cooker. Too soon.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,400,318 times
OP, I believe we've got you beat in Seattle with mayor Mike McGinn. Seattle-based Michael Medved, normally a voice of moderation and restraint among conservative talkers, once said of McGinn: "I honestly believe that Mayor Mike McGinn is the worst office holder in any major office I have ever heard of or read about in the history of the United States."

Known as McSchwinn due to his ongoing obsession with installing bicycle lanes all over the city, he often rides his bicycle to work. His bicycle once was stolen from the city hall parking lot. Petty crime in downtown Seattle spiked under his watch. Because it rains here almost every day from roughly mid-October to April, it is unlikely that more than a tiny percentage of Seattleites will ever commute regularly by bicycle.

The previous mayor had tried to ban guns in city parks, but that was tossed by courts. McGinn decided to resurrect the idea of gun 'buy backs.' The head of a local gun-control group, Washington CeaseFire, remarked that [t]he overwhelming research shows that buybacks generally don’t work well and are a waste of resources...." Nonetheless it was the one gun control tactic McGinn had that was legal under state law, so he pushed ahead.

The first buy back held turned into an impromptu, open-air gun show. Prospective buyers showed up, making cash offers for any guns whose value exceeded the value of the gift cards that were offered by the city for guns being turned in. This was perfectly legal under WA law. Then to cap it off McGinn got caught in a lie with a claim that the turned in guns would be melted down and formed into 'peace bricks.' They weren't, he knew it, and wound up having to apologize for the lie.
Guns from gun buyback program turned into rebar, not Peace Bricks | Q13 FOX News

He faces re-election this Nov. and right now is probably favored to win. He just got the endorsement of the SEIU.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
It is a pretty dire place, economically. Without a huge investment of capital the likes of which I don't think anyone has a taste for, it is pretty much done for. Sucks for those people that live there but at this point I would pull up stakes and start looking for greener pastures like the other million people did.

However, "blow up" is a pretty poor choice of words from a man whose city had a bunch of people get their legs blown off by a pressure cooker. Too soon.
Agreed -- it is a VERY dire place economically, to say nothing of structurally. I thikn it will survive, but in a much different form.

That's what I couldn't get over -- the fact that Menino is making a crack about "blowing up" Detroit after what happened at the Boston Marathon. Well, nobody ever accused politicians of having tact.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OP, I believe we've got you beat in Seattle with mayor Mike McGinn. Seattle-based Michael Medved, normally a voice of moderation and restraint among conservative talkers, once said of McGinn: "I honestly believe that Mayor Mike McGinn is the worst office holder in any major office I have ever heard of or read about in the history of the United States."

Known as McSchwinn due to his ongoing obsession with installing bicycle lanes all over the city, he often rides his bicycle to work. His bicycle once was stolen from the city hall parking lot. Petty crime in downtown Seattle spiked under his watch. Because it rains here almost every day from roughly mid-October to April, it is unlikely that more than a tiny percentage of Seattleites will ever commute regularly by bicycle.

The previous mayor had tried to ban guns in city parks, but that was tossed by courts. McGinn decided to resurrect the idea of gun 'buy backs.' The head of a local gun-control group, Washington CeaseFire, remarked that [t]he overwhelming research shows that buybacks generally don’t work well and are a waste of resources...." Nonetheless it was the one gun control tactic McGinn had that was legal under state law, so he pushed ahead.

The first buy back held turned into an impromptu, open-air gun show. Prospective buyers showed up, making cash offers for any guns whose value exceeded the value of the gift cards that were offered by the city for guns being turned in. This was perfectly legal under WA law. Then to cap it off McGinn got caught in a lie with a claim that the turned in guns would be melted down and formed into 'peace bricks.' They weren't, he knew it, and wound up having to apologize for the lie.
Guns from gun buyback program turned into rebar, not Peace Bricks | Q13 FOX News

He faces re-election this Nov. and right now is probably favored to win. He just got the endorsement of the SEIU.

This guy does sound like a real piece of work. Totally LOL'd at "McSchwinn" -- nothing wrong with bikes, I suppose, but this guy sounds like he took them to a whole new level.

I'm sure you're right. He'll probably be re-elected once again. I've yet to figure out the rationale of voters who continually vote for questionable candidates.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,823,433 times
Quote:

Known as McSchwinn due to his ongoing obsession with installing bicycle lanes
all over the city, he often rides his bicycle to work. His bicycle once was
stolen from the city hall parking lot. Petty crime in downtown Seattle spiked
under his watch. Because it rains here almost every day from roughly
mid-October to April, it is unlikely that more than a tiny percentage of
Seattleites will ever commute regularly by bicycle.
Looks like a great many commute by bicycle.
Between 2005 and 2010, the percentage of people commuting by bike in Seattle increased 57 percent. Between 2000 and 2010, it increased 93 percent.
Of the 70 largest US cities, only Portland was higher on the list. One silly but fun way to cherry pick the data is to say things like, “Of the 25 largest US cities, Seattle has the largest share of people commuting by bicycle.” (Portland is the 29th largest city)
Census: Bike commuting increases 22 percent in Seattle - Seattle Traffic and Transportation News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.