Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As it has been known since 1979, and documented by the US State Department, Syria has been a sponsor of international terrorism. Funding Hamas, which is headquartered in Syria, and co-funding Hezbollah with Iran. Both Hezbollah and Hamas are responsible for multiple US deaths, as well as organized crime in the US.

Of course the same thing about being responsible for multiple US deaths can be said about al Qaeda, who now fights against Assad and his Ba'ath Party.

It would be stupid to take either side in this conflict. We should either stay completely out of this fiasco, or aid both sides (not militarily) in destroying each other.
Exactly, both sides in this war are enemies of the US, and enemies of our allies. Didn't people learn from Iraq, you cannot overthrow a government and declare that you know the government that replaces it will be a friend to the US. We still do not know what Iraq's government will look like in the future.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont think its so much about the Syria conflict but more on the Syrian leader using chemical weapons. If the world stands by and does nothing expect a global proliferation of chemical weapons. As an example a 5 lb. bag of anthrax bacillus could devastate a major metropolitan city.
Its not an IF the world stands by. The world IS standing by. Because they take for granted the United States will once again take care of it. By itself more or less. Once again.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The U.S. has already failed that criterion, so what have we got to lose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Exactly, both sides in this war are enemies of the US, and enemies of our allies. Didn't people learn from Iraq, you cannot overthrow a government and declare that you know the government that replaces it will be a friend to the US. We still do not know what Iraq's government will look like in the future.
Exactly Patricius.

In addition Wapasha to Iraq, I would add that Egypt and Libya are very unstable at this point. Although not an Arab state I would also mention Afghanistan. All these are unstable and could be taken over by Al Qaeda, the Taliban or something similar. Then we would have a real problem on our hands.

The last thing we should do is add Syria to that mix.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
^True, we keep helping islamists/jihadists lately.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Exactly Patricius.

In addition Wapasha to Iraq, I would add that Egypt and Libya are very unstable at this point. Although not an Arab state I would also mention Afghanistan. All these are unstable and could be taken over by Al Qaeda, the Taliban or something similar. Then we would have a real problem on our hands.

The last thing we should do is add Syria to that mix.
Bush's naivete with his Democracy Project, was that simply by imposing democracy on nations will make them inherently free, and respectful of basic human rights. Respect for individual human rights and freedoms has to become an integral part of the core society first. If all the people know is tyranny, and we give them democracy, then they will have a democracy which is nothing more the an elected tyranny of the simple majority. With no respect for individual human rights and liberties, a middle Eastern democracy will use a majority elected government to subdue and persecute the minority.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We're like the Roman Empire..we live to conquer.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I'm sure the dim warmongers will shortly chime in with their logic...
Syria? I`m still trying to figure out the Granada adventure.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I'm sure the dim warmongers will shortly chime in with their logic...
Not very clever to pose a question then immediately diminish possible respondents. Obviously you don't really want an answer and your mind is made up so educating you won't do any good.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yay, another military campaign to replace another murderous dictator with a tyrannical islamofascist oligarchy.

Lose-Lose situation. No matter what, the US will emerge as the great satan and they are still going to wish us DE AD.

So why the hell are we continuing to perpetuate the cycle?

Obama should do something truly provocative and tell them to go screw themselves and turn his back on that farflung sandtrap known as the Middle East.
There were no Libyans or Syrians who represented their country's leaders for human rights and liberty. Where are the George Washingtons, the Jeffersons or the Thomas Paines? Where is the Mid East version of the pamphlet Common Sense? All i see is the US siding with people espousing "my friend is my enemy's enemy."

Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thanks for the update. I was aware that Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood had very close ties. After all, it was Hamas who broke Morsi out of prison in 2011. However, I was not aware of Hamas' move to Qatar.
Hamas was actually headquartered in Qatar before they accepted Assad's invitation to move to Damascus (this was because of Iran funding and easier co-ordination with both Iran & Hezbollah) - it was rumored they would move to Egypt after the Civil War began, but they went back to Qatar .... probably a money issue + these guys are used to luxury, they wouldn't get that in Cairo.

I only know this because I make myself keep up to date by reading a good Arab news aggregator (English Language) at least once a week. Events have been moving so fast in the Mid-East that missing a week can put a person way behind of something significant without pretty constant vigilance.

For instance -
Hamas and Iran/Hezbollah have broken their alliance
There is a fight for control within Hamas
Hamas has been training Islamists to fight in Syria and perhaps in Lebanon
Qatar has "cooled" to Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood since the new Emir (suddenly) took power a couple of weeks ago.
I learned yesterday that al-Jazeerra's popularity has dropped a lot according to a major poll.

All these are significant, but we don't know how they will come into play in the future.
A lot of "change" and turmoil in all the countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies