Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
the problem is the people who get medical care and don't pay for it (e.g. ER) plus those who delay treatment because they're not insured, and end up with an expensive problem.
You can always goto cash-based practices. It's not like those aren't in existence either. The ER is just a common option because the US has a fix health problems logic rather than PREVENT health problems logic. I defy someone challenge that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 AM

113 posts, read 101,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Right now:
Young and healthy subsidize mature workers in group policies.
Childless people subsidize maternity benefits for others in group policies.
Singles subsidize family coverage in group policies.
Mature and healthy subsidize young and sick in group policies.
Healthy, regardless of age, subsidize those with pre-existing conditions in group policies.
Non smokers subsidize the cost of smokers in group policies.
Insured drivers subsidize uninsured drivers.
The baby boom substantially subsidized their parent's generation.
Active employees subsidize retired folk.
Childless people subsidize the schools via property taxes.
People who do not live in fill in the blank prone areas subsidize those who do.
People with no or fewer children subsidize those with many children via deductions and credits.
People with no mortgages subsidize those with mortgages.
People who pay their bills subsidize those who do not.
People who do not commit crimes subsidize those who are convicted of crimes.
People with homes that have never caught on fire subsidize those with homes that burn to the ground.
You're assuming that those of us who don't like Obamacare support these policies. Some of us don't. Those that have to do with healthcare largely started with Nixon when health care became tied to employment. I'd rather there not be tax benefits at all for buying health insurance through your employer, which stop those subsidies you mentioned. Instead it would be like car insurance, where you pay according to your risk.

100 wrongs + 1 more don't make a right.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,206 times
Finally the people who bought into the communist based fraud of obamacare are realizing it's not good for you. I knew that before the s.o.b. was put in the Whitehouse in the 08 election!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Finally the people who bought into the communist based fraud of obamacare are realizing it's not good for you. I knew that before the s.o.b. was put in the Whitehouse in the 08 election!
It will only be worse when we see the so-called "death panels" are a real thing.

I agree Obamacare is a problem waiting to happen but it is a step in the right direction, minus the individual mandate and the full-time provisions that hurt the pocketbook of the people who will need it the most. Those that make just above minimum wage but over the poverty line provision of Obamacare.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:39 PM

147 posts, read 164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Those people who don't have insurance aren't going to tell the ambulance driver to let them die by the side of the road. They're going to leach off of the system as people have been doing for a long time. Those without insurance still get care, it just comes at the cost of others in the health system.

What you're talking about is a nice pipe dream, but it doesn't exist in practice.
How about you accept the ambulance ride and then pay for it, like one does for other services?

Don't try to tell me that doesn't exist in practice. I went without health insurance for many years. I could afford it, but I decided I'd be better off saving my money and paying my own way if I needed to, and I know a fair number of people who made the same judgment call.

When you're young and healthy, insurance companies figure they can make more money off your premiums than they're going to pay out on your expenses in a given year. Guess what? They're right!

I'm highly skeptical of the claim that uninsured people skipping out on bills is a significant factor in the health care costs. As I said earlier, I think it's a BS justification for forcing people to buy policies on which insurance companies can make more money, in order to offset the costs of complying with Obamacare.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Right now:
Young and healthy subsidize mature workers in group policies.
Childless people subsidize maternity benefits for others in group policies.
Singles subsidize family coverage in group policies.
Mature and healthy subsidize young and sick in group policies.
Healthy, regardless of age, subsidize those with pre-existing conditions in group policies.
Non smokers subsidize the cost of smokers in group policies.
Insured drivers subsidize uninsured drivers.
The baby boom substantially subsidized their parent's generation.
Active employees subsidize retired folk.
Childless people subsidize the schools via property taxes.
People who do not live in fill in the blank prone areas subsidize those who do.
People with no or fewer children subsidize those with many children via deductions and credits.
People with no mortgages subsidize those with mortgages.
People who pay their bills subsidize those who do not.
People who do not commit crimes subsidize those who are convicted of crimes.
People with homes that have never caught on fire subsidize those with homes that burn to the ground.
^^This!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ3791 View Post
How about you accept the ambulance ride and then pay for it, like one does for other services?

Don't try to tell me that doesn't exist in practice. I went without health insurance for many years. I could afford it, but I decided I'd be better off saving my money and paying my own way if I needed to, and I know a fair number of people who made the same judgment call.

When you're young and healthy, insurance companies figure they can make more money off your premiums than they're going to pay out on your expenses in a given year. Guess what? They're right!

I'm highly skeptical of the claim that uninsured people skipping out on bills is a significant factor in the health care costs. As I said earlier, I think it's a BS justification for forcing people to buy policies on which insurance companies can make more money, in order to offset the costs of complying with Obamacare.
Take a ride to Jackson Hospital in Miami - look around their ER, clinics, etc. Almost ALL of the people you see being treated cannot pay for their medical care. This is the situation for every urban hospital in the US.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Take a ride to Jackson Hospital in Miami - look around their ER, clinics, etc. Almost ALL of the people you see being treated cannot pay for their medical care. This is the situation for every urban hospital in the US.
I live in a major city in the northeast. An ex-girlfriend of mine worked in a hospital, and I overheard this when picking her up once. A lady was in the ER complaining that she had a sore throat. The nurse at the desk asked why she didn't go to her regular doctor instead of the ER. The lady looked really confused and said "you are my regular doctor".

Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM

147 posts, read 164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Almost ALL don't have insurance, MediCare or Medicaid? More importantly, how do know they can afford insurance, but don't want it, or don't think it's worth the money? Have you polled them?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No jobs, college loans,historical government debt ,pension liabilities, socialized medicine, broken S.S.,endless wars, its time for americas youth to quit voting for the guy with catchy slogans.
right, because mccain clearly would've fixed the healthcare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies