Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times

Advertisements

I know this is a chicken and egg question in regards to universal health care.

But one of the most cited examples of the push for universal health care is because of job loss due to prolong medical issue. No job. No income. No health care. Simple?

Why don't more people buy short and long term disability insurance. It's so much more important in my opinion. Most policies will pay out 50-70% of your monthly income.

Say one of my former co worker recently had heart surgery. He's going to be out 3-6 months. But he has a short term disability policy that pays him 60% of his monthly income. This keep income flowing.

Another co worker had a severe back injury where he couldn't work any more. His long term disability payments kicked in and pays him $6000 a month. More than enough to get through life.

So why is there not a push to get people to pay for insurance to protect themsleves. Especially those in manual labor like construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

But one of the most cited examples of the push for universal health care is because of job loss due to prolong medical issue. No job. No income. No health care. Simple?

Why don't more people buy short and long term disability insurance. It's so much more important in my opinion. Most policies will pay out 50-70% of your monthly income.

Say one of my former co worker recently had heart surgery. He's going to be out 3-6 months. But he has a short term disability policy that pays him 60% of his monthly income. This keep income flowing.

Another co worker had a severe back injury where he couldn't work any more. His long term disability payments kicked in and pays him $6000 a month. More than enough to get through life.

So why is there not a push to get people to pay for insurance to protect themsleves. Especially those in manual labor like construction?
Why should this be a problem that requires a group effort? Individuals should decide.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
They're two different things. One replaces income when you can't work and one helps to cover treatments that might save your life that you couldn't otherwise afford.

It's akin to comparing car insurance to life insurance. Both are important but they're two different things. There's a reason why people have both.

Does this even really need to be explained???

Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Not everyone has an income to protect so that's one reason.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
UHC, in part, addresses a basic need, the bottom net of the safety net for some. LTD isn't anyone's bottom net; SSD is.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

this is not one of the most cited examples.

Quote:
because the problem is smaller, in the sense that it affects far fewer people.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
In those rock bottom cases for low income workers, there are already programs in place to protect them. They would have a hard time affording disability. The likely expenses if you lose your job are a lot less than if you need radiation, chemo, surgery, etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Long Term Care insurance is really a bad deal for insurers because the payout is costly and vertually every customer is going to present an expensive claim. The only way they escape is the hop for accidental death or to put so many riders and exceptions that they can tie up the customer in a legal morass and wait out the client who will solve the problem by dying. The moment they found out I was a diabetic they simply walked away from me a customer with a income near $100,000. I could have easily paid for it but they simply don't sell it to people who have a pre-existing health problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies