Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I have no sympathy for these losers. If you make $8 per hour working, and fill out a Fed Tax return, Uncle Sam will add thousands to this for "Earned Income Credit" If a person earns say 15K per year, and have two or three kids, they actually are earning 23K per year with the EIC giveaway. If minimum wage earners were to earn $5 more per hour, it would simply erode the EIC and they would make the same at the end of the day.
Have you looked at the federal poverty guidelines? Your post is suggesting that it should be adequate for a family of 3-4 to live off of $23k per year. I would love to see some of the posters here try that for an extended amount of time (no, not just one or two hard years, and not while a college student... this is LIFE for these people).

Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
Definitely agree with your comment on education on financial planning. I suspect it applies much more to the middle class who tend to follow far more risky practices.I am firmly in the - better to cancel things like cable tv, then to every carry a credit card debt crowd. Drive an old car -until you have cash in hand for the new one.

This one -not so much. The implication being that poverty correlates significantly with drug/alcohol abuse? But even if we go with that - a 6 year old in grade 1 does not have much chance when he is in a crappy school, and has one or both parents who are substance abusers ( which I would argue means they are crappy parents). I would double down on the kid, and cut the parents (sad - but the ROI on the kid with happiness is much higher).Maybe the kid eventually takes care of the parents.

Seriously?
I would propose that the poor have a much narrower margin of economic error to handle drug/alcohol abuse than people in more economically advantageous situations.
Ergo, avoiding drug and alcohol abuse can greatly assist in clawing out of poverty.
Likewise with having babies out of despair or for comfort.

Do you disagree that drug and alcohol abuse and having babies that one cannot support properly constitute drags in running the race for economic improvement for the poor person?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 AM

75 posts, read 126,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Some people can't conceive that there are actually people who can live their lives without going to Wal-mart. Or that we find the shopping experience and atmosphere there really as bad as we do.
Ya. Those people are generally the ones struggling too make ends meet. They could not conceive going else where if it means 1 or 2 fewer meals that week. Not on a slam on them- or you.

If Walmart disappeared - I wonder what that means for those needing the service?

Been in a walmart 3 times in last 5 years. Not my favorite place either ... not a surprise since I am no longer the target demographic. But there was a time when I was in that struggling demographic, and discount stores made a difference.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 AM

75 posts, read 126,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seriously?
Do you disagree that drug and alcohol abuse and having babies that one cannot support properly constitute drags in running the race for economic improvement for the poor person?
Drug & alcohol impact all segments of society - and is generally a pretty nasty situation for them all. Same for babies.

But if you take 100 poor families - and assume 10% (crazy high) have substance abuse - that still leaves 90% whose biggest inhibitor to breaking the cycle is - being poor and all that comes with it (crappy schools, crappy food, crappy ...)

People who see no hope for themselves - or their one kid - might be inclined to have drink, or another baby. Very sad cycle.

...coffee is done. Time for me to cut my lawn. I am one of very few people on my street to still do it

Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Some people can't conceive that there are actually people who can live their lives without going to Wal-mart. Or that we find the shopping experience and atmosphere there really as bad as we do.
WalMart is a depressing place.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Drug & alcohol impact all segments of society - and is generally a pretty nasty situation for them all. Same for babies.

But if you take 100 poor families - and assume 10% (crazy high) have substance abuse - that still leaves 90% whose biggest inhibitor to breaking the cycle is - being poor and all that comes with it (crappy schools, crappy food, crappy ...)

People who see no hope for themselves - or their one kid - might be inclined to have drink, or another baby. Very sad cycle.

...coffee is done. Time for me to cut my lawn. I am one of very few people on my street to still do it
Are you my next door neighbor?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
WalMart is a depressing place.
(really replying to the whole thread)

I was in Harris Teeter the other day. I hardly go there due to pricing. As I strolled over to the milk section I noticed my favorite snack: frozen soft pretzles. $3.79 at HT. At Walmart neighborhood store across the street they are $2.50. I'll bear the atmosphere for the lowering pricing (That's just one example, there are many more). I'm not in the Walmart demographic but I sure do like saving money! I have no problem being seen there.

Also, factor in that the Walmart mentioned above occupies the space that Kroger was in and was vacant for several years. I bet the small businesses nearby enjoy them as an anchor since none of them have competing products. Revenue and traffic boost as well as jobs creation in a spot that probably no other grocery store would occupy.

Walmart's on-line pricing matches or beats Amazon's on products they both sell. Walmart doesn't show up as a option in google searches so you have to manually search their site. Through them I got a floor standing gun safe shipped for $1! So, yeah...I'm a walmart shopper. Not an ardent supporter, but a shopper nonetheless.

Now, if only they'd sell high end audio at reduced pricing...I'd then be an ardent supporter.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:

Your crazy high number is not so crazy, or so high.
Substance Use Treatment Need and Receipt among People Living in Poverty

I guess we need to disagree on whether a poor person who is trying to escape poverty can afford to foot the bill for drug or alcohol abuse while trying to get ahead of the pack.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
(really replying to the whole thread)

I was in Harris Teeter the other day. I hardly go there due to pricing. As I strolled over to the milk section I noticed my favorite snack: frozen soft pretzles. $3.79 at HT. At Walmart neighborhood store across the street they are $2.50. I'll bear the atmosphere for the lowering pricing (That's just one example, there are many more). I'm not in the Walmart demographic but I sure do like saving money! I have no problem being seen there.

Also, factor in that the Walmart mentioned above occupies the space that Kroger was in and was vacant for several years. I bet the small businesses nearby enjoy them as an anchor since none of them have competing products. Revenue and traffic boost as well as jobs creation in a spot that probably no other grocery store would occupy.

Walmart's on-line pricing matches or beats Amazon's on products they both sell. Walmart doesn't show up as a option in google searches so you have to manually search their site. Through them I got a floor standing gun safe shipped for $1! So, yeah...I'm a walmart shopper. Not an ardent supporter, but a shopper nonetheless.

Now, if only they'd sell high end audio at reduced pricing...I'd then be an ardent supporter.
Thing is? I'd never know they were cheaper because I refuse to go there.

I have no issue with being "seen" anywhere. I'm a 40-something with 3 kids.

I just dislike the company. I also don't eat at Chick fil a. And I DO like their food.

Just refuse to give them my money.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your crazy high number is not so crazy, or so high.
Substance Use Treatment Need and Receipt among People Living in Poverty

I guess we need to disagree on whether a poor person who is trying to escape poverty can afford to foot the bill for drug or alcohol abuse while trying to get ahead of the pack.
You make it sound like alcoholics are making a rational choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies