Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Hell it's 16 or even younger in some European countries if I can remember correctly. If you can vote or drop a 500lb bomb on civilians in Afghanistan at 18 you might as well be able to drink.
I agree. The only logical debate against lowering the drinking age is, it has been observed and verified by science, that tinkering with the brain chemistry while its still developing is not a good thing and has adverse effects on the person in adulthood. That means prior to age 21 up to age 25. No ones brain is fully developed until then.

However, that would mean not using psychoactive drugs like prosaic, add and adhd medication, and many others.

It should all be left up to the individual.

Children drank beer in Plymouth, Jamestown, New York, and Philadelphia. It was very low in alcohol content, kind of like a stout, but it was the only thing safe to drink because it had been boiled and purified, and the small alcohol content kept bacterial out of the beer.

Part of the reason for the puritans landing at Plymouth was because they were running low on beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think it should be lowered. I'm 21 right now, but you can drink at 19 in Ontario. Before that you would not believe the lengths that I and every other 15-18 year old would go to in order to get alcohol and drink on the weekend. You'd be making it a lot safer if the legal age were lowered.
Is the traffic fatality rate much higher in Ontario than it is the States?

Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
There has always been a binge drinking culture in America, particularly among the young and the poor.

One of the main reasons for the Prohibition movement in the 19th and early 20th centuries was the proliferation of taverns that popped up around the factories of the industrial era. The men often came home drunk and penniless. And mean.

Today, binge drinking is more prevalent among college aged men.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:25 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would it be a stupid example. Seems legit to me. I am not sure what they do in other countries. I would hope that they would follow the law of the nation that they are defending. I guess that we can't have any of that though huh? Personally I would not allow any service member drink or take drugs. Clouds your judgment and has no place in a disciplined military. Then again, unlike my dad, brother, grand fathers, uncles, I did not serve in the Military. Still I have never partook of any adult beverage, took any drug, or smoked. Just don't see a need for it. Have never found anyone that can show me a need for it.
It's not like they have access to their firearms after they've been out drinking or took drugs. You can't drink while on deployment. If they are station in another country, sure they should be allowed to drink there if they are within legal age.

Just because that's YOUR choice, doesn't mean you should take/make choices for others. We're all our own person and have to face the consequences of those actions should we make a bad decision.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why is the drinking age so high?

In countries that don't have America's weird phobia towards alcohol and no severe restrictions on drinking age, I haven't noticed any runaway alcohol problems among their youth. Countries like Germany, Italy, Spain, Ireland...

Once again, America being settled by religious castoffs haunts us to this day.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In countries that don't have America's weird phobia towards alcohol and no severe restrictions on drinking age, I haven't noticed any runaway alcohol problems among their youth. Countries like Germany, Italy, Spain, Ireland...

Once again, America being settled by religious castoffs haunts us to this day.
NOT TRUE. Read the thread. The pilgrims and many religious people all drank beer and gave it to their kids.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
I find it hilarious that you all seriously think no one under 21 drinks alcohol in America

Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
NOT TRUE. Read the thread. The pilgrims and many religious people all drank beer and gave it to their kids.
That was three hundred years ago. The religious weirdness has mutated over the centuries.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,623 times
Quote:

Once again, America being settled by political castoffs haunts us to this day.
Fixed it for you. Religion has nothing to do with it.
This is actually right in line with liberal ideology trying to control people.
The bill was actually introduced by a D and signed into law by a R.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That was three hundred years ago. The religious weirdness has mutated over the centuries.
You said, "america being settled" which was longer then 300 years ago, and those religious folks drank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies