Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 AM

383 posts, read 641,410 times

Advertisements

I'm still confused about that whole "knife" thing. I'm an amateur chef with knives that could kill anyone. We also own a few guns. Trust me the knives have inflected more cuts to me then our guns. Our guns mind their manners until we take them to the range, the knives, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 2009, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 66.9% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.[5] Two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides. In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicide deaths, and 11,078 firearm-related homicide deaths in the United States.[6]
The effectiveness and safety of guns used for personal defense is debated. Studies place the instances of guns used in personal defense as low as 65 thousand times per year, and as high as 2.5 million times per year... sometimes without a shot being fired.
Based on these numbers, worst case, 65 thousand unarmed VICTIMS would have suffered so that 11 thousand wouldn't be murdered. (Suicides shouldn't count, since they would find other means or methods for terminating their life).

Again, the logic supports the individual's right to defend his life with a weapon, including firearms.

Of course, no one is suggesting that YOU shouldn't be disarmed and helpless. Feel free to put yourself at risk. Just do not presume to extend your choice into compulsion upon others.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
No that is gunnut logic. For the millionth time.
If guns were as regulated as cars....hmmmm, I didn't need to be fingerprinted, vetted by local, state, and federal government law enforcement, have my background researched, pay several hundered dollars, undergo a training program (not just a test), and wait months while the government bearacracy completed all these tasks...to get my drivers license,

...I did to get my concealed weapons permit.

What's your next false argument? I mean, at this point, you are just embarassing yourself.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 2009, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 66.9% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.[5] Two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides. In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicide deaths, and 11,078 firearm-related homicide deaths in the United States.[6]
The effectiveness and safety of guns used for personal defense is debated. Studies place the instances of guns used in personal defense as low as 65 thousand times per year, and as high as 2.5 million times per year... sometimes without a shot being fired.
Based on these numbers, worst case, 65 thousand unarmed VICTIMS would have suffered so that 11 thousand wouldn't be murdered. (Suicides shouldn't count, since they would find other means or methods for terminating their life).

Again, the logic supports the individual's right to defend his life with a weapon, including firearms.

Of course, no one is suggesting that YOU shouldn't be disarmed and helpless. Feel free to put yourself at risk. Just do not presume to extend your choice into compulsion upon others.
Actually, there's no guarantee that those 11 thousand wouldn't have been murdered with something besides a gun, either.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Anybody here own a "gunnut"?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,719 times
Quote:
He is suspected of child abuse, reckless endangerment and permitting a juvenile to have a firearm.

That makes him a gunnut IMHO. If there was no gun in that house, that woman would still be alive now. Gun ownership kills innocent people.
Nope. Bad people kill people.

Blaming guns is merely an effort to studiously avoid the real problem.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
No different from other killers really. Many nuts as we have seen in mass killing by known people with mental problems and even prior violence records. Many have made known threats to do what they final end up doing. if a nut wants to kill a lot of people not much to stop him and lord forbid explosives coming to it like other countries we see everyday.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Anybody here own a "gunnut"?
440 taps, breech block wrenches, assorted spring compressors, but no gun nut. I lost it with my fubar.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Nope. Bad people kill people.

Blaming guns is merely an effort to studiously avoid the real problem.
Lobbying to make it easy for bad people to get guns is the real problem, and it will ultimately lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
This is the way it is supposed to work.

Repeat after me, and perhaps this time it will sink in:

Owning a firearm is a constitutionally protected right, while driving a car is a privilege.
Owning a firearm is a constitutionally protected right, while driving a car is a privilege.

Every time you start comparing driving a car to owning a firearm, come back and read this post again in order to keep your mind on the correct topic. There is zero comparison between owning a firearm and driving a car. There is not a single analogy involving driving a car and owning a firearm that is accurate. Not only are you not comparing apples to apples, you are comparing zucchini with strawberries. Both sides of the debate make this comparison (and I've probably been guilty of it in the past while typing in the heat of the moment), but that doesn't make it accurate.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-14-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies