Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I think warfare is being looked at in a totally modern sense here. For most of history war was seen as a rite of manhood; or a way to glory, fame, and wealth.

Also, you have to admit that women have really had it bad over history considering the way women are treated by fundamentalist sects in Islam, in many places in India and southeast Asia, and realizing that Christian women were treated similarly for many centuries.
I did acknowledge that in my OP. So far no woman has acknowledged that men also had it bad. Yes, we know and we've been told a million times about how bad women had it, but we're never told how men had it bad too. No, those who try to add a little balance into the discussion are shouted down as whiners are chauvinists who want to bring back the 1950s...I'm glad we have the equality for both sexes here, and I support a woman's right to do anything a man can. But don't you think it's sexist that only half the population is forced to go and risk their lives in war?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM

[quote=Katiana;31327066]Oh, no it wasn't. When resources were scarce, who got to eat? Who got to go to school? Who got medical care? Women were just vessels for having more males.

Near the end of World War II, due to a shortage of nurses enlisting, President Roosevelt proposed drafting nurses, who at the time were close to 100% female (still >90% today). A bill passed the House of Reps, but stalled in the Senate. Soon after, Germany surrendered and the nurse shortage eased. Some nurses serving in Europe were reassigned to the Pacific, and the bill was dropped.

Women were never really "protected". If their services were needed, the men found a way. When I was a student nurse myself in the late 1960s/early 70s, there were still laws outlawing women working at night. Guess which occupation was exempt? Why nurses, of course, b/c there weren't enough male nurses to staff hospitals at night. It's all convenience, this "protecting"women thing.
[url]http://www.womensmemorial.org/H

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm actually not white, and what has this got to do with being white?? Wars have occurred all over the world, and the main ones who had to fight and die were men. In many cases, a young man had a good chance of being brutally slaughtered in war.

I notice none of the women in this thread have even addressed that. They've ignored it. None have even acknowledged this was one major negative of being male throughout much of history. It makes me think some of them aren't really about equality for all but equality when it suits them.
I'll address it. Read the thread about women in the military. Women want to be on the front lines, like in many other countries, but the men are hollering "Hell, no!" They cite nonsense about vaginal infections and unit cohesion.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
I did acknowledge that in my OP. So far no woman has acknowledged that men also had it bad. Yes, we know and we've been told a million times about how bad women had it, but we're never told how men had it bad too. No, those who try to add a little balance into the discussion are shouted down as whiners are chauvinists who want to bring back the 1950s...I'm glad we have the equality for both sexes here, and I support a woman's right to do anything a man can. But don't you think it's sexist that only half the population is forced to go and risk their lives in war?
Well in case you haven't heard, men aren't fond of women going into combat. All I see are snarky remarks or full on "they're women, they can't handle it". So if anything, it's men's fault that men were the ones being drafted back in the day. If you didn't want to be such a victim, allow women in combat.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM

@ Katiana...Dunno why I couldn't quote you, browser trouble.

So you're complaining nurses might have got drafted? Heavens above, how terrible! That's far worse than the draft to go and fight.

I'm sure you're bright enough to understand that nurses were required to work at night because of their role, and no because women were being targeted right?

But I do agree with you. Males protected females primarily as property/assets, not because of any chivalrous BS (at least on an institutional level). I actually think the female is more of the protector of the species, nothing compares to the maternal instinct to protect the child, and in some ways women protect men too.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'll address it. Read the thread about women in the military. Women want to be on the front lines, like in many other countries, but the men are hollering "Hell, no!" They cite nonsense about vaginal infections and unit cohesion.
I personally am all for women going into the front line if they're so desperate to. These days if a woman can operate a rifle, or press a button deploying a bomb, why shouldn't she?

Of course, from a personal pov, if I was a woman I wouldn't be rushing to fight because I'm generally anti-war...maybe to protect my country or something.

I also realise a lot of these young men thought it was a grand old adventure (especially if they were volunteers), but if they were drafted they had no choice.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
I'm actually not white, and what has this got to do with being white?? Wars have occurred all over the world, and the main ones who had to fight and die were men. In many cases, a young man had a good chance of being brutally slaughtered in war.

I notice none of the women in this thread have even addressed that. They've ignored it. None have even acknowledged this was one major negative of being male throughout much of history. It makes me think some of them aren't really about equality for all but equality when it suits them.
Are you surprised? This is largely an American board, not European.

Just imagine the outrage if a man used a female restroom in the US?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well in case you haven't heard, men aren't fond of women going into combat. All I see are snarky remarks or full on "they're women, they can't handle it". So if anything, it's men's fault that men were the ones being drafted back in the day. If you didn't want to be such a victim, allow women in combat.
Some men, dunno if it's the majority at all. I think one of the reasons is deep down men want to preserve women (again the biological imperative) to have their way with them and/or impregnate them.

In historical times, the conquering army would either kill all the male civilians/prisoners of war, or turn them into slaves, and take all the women of age to use for reproductive purposes.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I've seen the complaints and they were complaining because the testing requirements are relaxed.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:

You conveniently leave out the very important fact that men dictated who could and could not fight/die in the many wars you mention. You keep stating the fact that only men fought in wars as if it were women who made this decision. Until the last half of the 20th century, most women in America had little or no say in anything outside of their homes - not because they were not capable of making non-home/child care decisions, but because the men in charge would not let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies